Theatre and Performance Studies Admissions AMA

Noe Montez

Hi I'm Noe Montez, Director of the PhD in Theatre and Performance Studies at Tufts. There seems to be a lot of questions and a lack of transparency in the graduate admissions process. I have been reviewing PhD applications for six years and wanted to create a space where I could answer any questions that you might have about the application and admissions process. The best way to make good application decisions is to make sure that people prepare the strongest applications possible. So as you prepare application materials, feel free to ask questions you may have about how graduate faculty read applications, what sorts of materials to submit, or anything else that you want to know.

Of course I'd also encourage you to look at the Tufts PhD in Theatre and Performance Studies http://dramadance.tufts.edu/graduate/ and to check out the YouTube videos that my colleagues and I have put together about the admissions process: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9js5V3BqCE8&index=1&list=PL7beqzWtdvNZMihHeEHdWuSMDPxou6ZOh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7EPHiAAmvc&index=5&list=PL7beqzWtdvNZMihHeEHdWuSMDPxou6ZOh

• 3 weeks later...

Its great to see you on here willing to talk with those of use looking to apply.  I am considering Tufts in addition to other schools, and I'm wondering about visiting the school before applying, and will it matter a great deal to meet potential faculty advisors prior to applying.

• 1 month later...

First off, this is absolutely wonderful of you and I know that I (and I'm sure many other students) really appreciate the offer, especially as application season gets underway.

Onto the question - I'm finishing up my MFA in Music Composition at The California Institute of the Arts this year, and through that have gained some experience in both the dance and theater fields as well. I'm planning on applying to Doctoral Programs in Performance Studies and doing research in dance and music (particularly the resurgence of burlesque in modernity) - I was wondering if it would make more sense to apply just to a PhD program since I'll already have a Master's, or if I should apply to an MA/PhD since my Master's will not be in the exact same area? I figure it'll be somewhat different case by case, but I'd love to get your perspective on it! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm so sorry to be lax on these responses. I forgot my log in info and couldn't access the site. It won't happen again

On 7/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, DirectorsCoffee said:

Its great to see you on here willing to talk with those of use looking to apply.  I am considering Tufts in addition to other schools, and I'm wondering about visiting the school before applying, and will it matter a great deal to meet potential faculty advisors prior to applying.

DirectorsCoffee- If you're interested in visiting Tufts, reach out to me at my email noe.montez@tufts.edu and I would be happy to work with my graduate assistant to set up a visit. We can't afford to pay for anyone's visit before we offer admission, but we can find graduate students who will let you crash on their couch and try to do other things to minimize your costs.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, arachnospores said:

First off, this is absolutely wonderful of you and I know that I (and I'm sure many other students) really appreciate the offer, especially as application season gets underway.

Onto the question - I'm finishing up my MFA in Music Composition at The California Institute of the Arts this year, and through that have gained some experience in both the dance and theater fields as well. I'm planning on applying to Doctoral Programs in Performance Studies and doing research in dance and music (particularly the resurgence of burlesque in modernity) - I was wondering if it would make more sense to apply just to a PhD program since I'll already have a Master's, or if I should apply to an MA/PhD since my Master's will not be in the exact same area? I figure it'll be somewhat different case by case, but I'd love to get your perspective on it! Thanks again!

We accept applicants for the PhD program with MAs/MFAs in a variety of programs. If you are applying to Tufts, go ahead and apply to the PhD program. I think that most of my other colleagues at grad programs across the country would feel the same way

Edited by Noe Montez