Polite rejection from adviser

misssarajevo

Hello everyone

I am a latinamerican student and I am not sure about the responses from potential PhD adviser email responses, I had a very nice interview with one of them who told me that he enjoyed our conversation ( our interview) two days later he wrote me an email in which he said that " I enjoyed our conversation a lot" and that he decided on aother candidate. He also said " be assure that you did an excellent job I just simply had to make a decision"

Is this genuine ? or a polite way to reject me?  I would prefer the truth from a PhD adviser in order to improve other interviews!

In my Country too much politness is not used

Thanks in advance

I think you have to take him at his word, you're not going to get anything better. Keep in mind that he didn't have to say anything about your performance, he could have just sent you the generic "there were many good candidates, it was a hard decision" kind of email that doesn't say anything specific about you. He chose to give you more feedback, which I think you have to take as a positive sign.