Sociology MS/PhD 2008 Applicants?

acoustic_mayhem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered applying to some sociology programs but decided against it because I don't have any real background in the discipline and my interest would be more qualitative, which is difficult to find. Good luck to all of you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jason-- I get the sense that you need at least a 3.5 gpa and a 1200 total GRE in general to make it to the next level where they then weigh your statement of purpose, writing sample, and letters of rec to make a final decision. This is my first time applying though, so my thoughts are only coming from what I've read about other people's experience.

Good luck to you!

Will we be able to sell our current house?

Yuck! I wouldn't want to be asking myself that question given the current housing market. Personally, I'm hoping it tanks in the middle of next year so I can buy a condo to live in while working on my PhD...

Yuck! I wouldn't want to be asking myself that question given the current housing market. Personally, I'm hoping it tanks in the middle of next year so I can buy a condo to live in while working on my PhD...

Speaking as someone who currently works as an economist, the housing market is expected to bottom out in the 3rd quarter of 2008 in most areas. Incidentally, this is exactly when we will be heading off to our respective programs. Certain areas are not seeing any significant drop in prices. Generally these are the obvious places like big cities where housing is always in high demand. Towns with a heavy industrial (specifically non-durables) or agricultural base will see the largest decline in home prices, as those industries will suffer due to energy prices and weak consumer spending.

I'm going to stop now. I'm not at work and don't have to be there til 8:30

Fortunately, I live in one of those areas where prices are still rising (although minimally). And my specific neighborhood is unique for the area and homes are still selling relatively quickly (60 days). I just hope that the market is the same in a few months when we try to sell!

That would be great if the market does bottom in Q3. I would love to buy another home instead of renting while in school. But, I think a Q3 bottom is wishful thinking and see this thing playing out over a couple more years, IMHO.

Britt

from what I hear sociology has some issues. Personally, I don't like UGA because of its disconnect with the town. I also dislike the drought and the water shortage we're facing. I dislike the racial issues still evident in this town and undergraduate ignorance of the fact that there is poverty in Athens (hello, there is public housing in view from an expensive as hell student learning center!). but other than that, yea it's fine. rumor has it that houses here aren't moving. prices range from like $80K for a condo in some areas ($125K for the nicer condos) to $400K+ for houses with acreage located in the surrounding counties.

Finished!

I had doubts if I would make it---between application fees and the transcript nightmares I've had (won't bore you with the details)-- but I made it!

Now begins the long long wait......thank goodness for the Sundance Film Festival to keep me occupied for a while..

How is everyone else coming along?

Congrats! It is a great feeling to be done. Then you realize that someone else is determining where you'll spend the next 5+ years of your life :)

What schools did you apply to?

I applied to a broad range of schools-- Berkeley, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Davis, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Minnesota....

What about you?

Penn, Cornell, Ohio St., SUNY Albany, UMass, NC State, Georgia

I decided not to apply to Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Now I wish I had.

Ever since I submitted my last app I am questioning everything!!!

I know what you mean-- I can't stop thinking about things I wish I would have said in my SOP, or thinking I wish I would have had time to retake the GRE....but oh well, can't do anything now! I just hope I don't have to go through this again next year-- I'm ready to start a program now!

Did anyone else apply to NC State? If so, did you get a phone call from the school?

I got a message saying that my app was received and was now being reviewed by the full committee. I am taking this to mean that I made the long list. Has anyone else had a school call and tell them something similar?

I am confused. Is it common to call applicants and tell them their app is being reviewed? And do you think they called everyone on the long list?

Any insights are appreciated.

And I have to say that it is GREAT to hear something! Especially since it wasn

Did anyone else apply to NC State? If so, did you get a phone call from the school?

I got a message saying that my app was received and was now being reviewed by the full committee. I am taking this to mean that I made the long list. Has anyone else had a school call and tell them something similar?

I am confused. Is it common to call applicants and tell them their app is being reviewed? And do you think they called everyone on the long list?

Any insights are appreciated.

And I have to say that it is GREAT to hear something! Especially since it wasn