Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to know what the GRE scores of people who were accepted into programs such as University of South Carolina (ONLINE), Eastern New Mexico(HYBRID), University of Georgia, and University of West Georgia. My stats: 153 V (60th percentile), 4.0 AWA,,and 144 Q; Overall GPA 3.67; last semester GPA 4.05; CSDCAS CSD ;GPA 3.67. The GRE scores you see above are from taking it twice. I have leadership experience as a NSSHLA officer, working with students who have autism, and also observation hours in different settings. This will be my 2nd time applying, and I am just really nervous because at first I was placed on the wait list at my alma mater, but they didn't use it this year. So, I'm going to reapply. However, I want to show the committee that I really tried to improve and gain more exposure to the field. I'm looking at more programs this time around and trying to get a realistic idea of if I have a chance of getting in somewhere. I'm noticing that some schools say they require a certain GRE/GPA range on their website and ASHA Edfind but then I see people in the results forum with stats way below it getting accepted. I'm happy for them. I just want to know how that works. I already signed up to take the GRE again just to see if I could increase my verbal score to 160  and AWA to 5.0 even though others have told me that I should just focus on getting more outside experience at this point. This would be the last time that I take it because I don't want to keep stressing on the GRE as if it's the only component of my application. Any tips? Thanks in advance!  

It took me three times to become accepted into grad school! Don't give up! I would say that to me you have really great GRE scores. Most of my professors said that you should be in at least the 50th percentile or above and that's what you are. I think what's more important is you as an applicant and the whole picture. To me and some schools I applied to it was more important the student as a whole and their experience than anything else. I volunteered the past school year once a week at an integrated preschool. There I assisted the special education teacher with the classroom and got to work with kids with Autism, Down Syndrome and developmental delays. They were also super helpful and let me observe with an slp since I expressed an interest an becoming an slp. I think that really boosted my application since I am going to grad school in the fall and I even had a choice between schools :)  I would use that experience you've gained and also if you are able apply to schools all over the country. I found that I had a better time not restricting my applications to a certain region of the country. For example as an east coaster I found there was a lot of competition there so I expanded my search but I understand if that's not possible. While I am going to school farther from home than I would have liked I figure it is only 2 years of my life and it will get me the degree I want!  Edfind ASHA was my best friend when researching schools. I became really picky and specific with finding schools that my stats fit with and I think that really helped. I know I couldn't help specifically for those programs!

Thank you so much for the motivation! I'm working as a special ed parapro right now-- teaching me so much about dealing with young children  diagnosed with autism and experience meltdowns. I'm shadowing an SLP. The idea of reapplying year after year is scary especially when I hear about people who seem to be the perfect candidate and can't get into a program for whatever reason. Thanks,once again and all the best with grad school. :)

On 6/26/2017 at 10:35 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

It took me three times to become accepted into grad school! Don't give up! I would say that to me you have really great GRE scores. Most of my professors said that you should be in at least the 50th percentile or above and that's what you are. I think what's more important is you as an applicant and the whole picture. To me and some schools I applied to it was more important the student as a whole and their experience than anything else. I volunteered the past school year once a week at an integrated preschool. There I assisted the special education teacher with the classroom and got to work with kids with Autism, Down Syndrome and developmental delays. They were also super helpful and let me observe with an slp since I expressed an interest an becoming an slp. I think that really boosted my application since I am going to grad school in the fall and I even had a choice between schools :)  I would use that experience you've gained and also if you are able apply to schools all over the country. I found that I had a better time not restricting my applications to a certain region of the country. For example as an east coaster I found there was a lot of competition there so I expanded my search but I understand if that's not possible. While I am going to school farther from home than I would have liked I figure it is only 2 years of my life and it will get me the degree I want!  Edfind ASHA was my best friend when researching schools. I became really picky and specific with finding schools that my stats fit with and I think that really helped. I know I couldn't help specifically for those programs!

I am a current graduate student as ENMU and my GRE scores were157 verbal, 146 quantitative, 4.5 analytical writing. My undergrad GPA was 3.6. I know before I applied there I went to visit. I was informed that each application is based on points awarded for the different application aspects such as GRE scores and GPA; however, I was told the essay question part of the application is worth at least half of the points so to really concentrate on that. Hopefully this helps! Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

While not in your field (English-American lit), I was accepted into a PhD program for this fall. Here are my stats: GRE V163, Q145, AW 4. GPA: Undergrad 3.82 overall, M.A. 4.0. I was told by the DGS that the committee was very impressed with the package I put together and they only accepted 5 PhD students this year. That says to me that every part of our application package is important. This is a second career move for me. As a non-traditional student, I was very concerned about age being a factor and overshadowing all of the good things I worked to put together. But there are ways of turning potentially negative factors into pluses on the SOP. You don't say if you are looking at master's or PhD programs.

I used Magoosh to boost my verbal scores. When I started using Magoosh I was steadily scoring in the mid-150s on verbal practice tests. I was able to raise my score to 163. I have only taken the GRE once prior to entering my MA program that was at the same university where I did undergrad.  Not too expensive and easy to use online. Nice explanatory videos. Helps you understand why certain answers are better. This is really helpful in taking standardized tests. I didn't have time to study the math at all and am not a math person. I also did not prepare for the AW. Don't remember if Magoosh has practice on that or not. One thing I learned is that the AW is not argument driven, which as an English major is where I head. It's analysis driven. I'm sure that drove down my AW score somewhat.

My verbal score was high enough that I saw no reason to retake the test. I applied to 9 programs. Accepted at two; waitlisted at two; rejected at five. The results were a fair showing I think. Maybe there are students who get accepted to most or all of their applicant schools, if you go by what you read on GC, but I have talked to professors at several different universities about their results and those applying since the 1990s overwhelmingly received fewer admissions.

This was my second time applying and I got in, I had a horrible undergrad GPA. I did a post bacc and got good scores on my GRE, the most important thing I did was research within the department for a year. You have to get to know people and have them write you letters. I felt like that is what would set you apart. My letters and your personal statement, also attending open houses and getting involved if you have the time. 

Good luck