Criminology / Criminal Justice folder in Social Sciences

Is there anyway that an additional folder could be made in the social sciences folder for us criminology people? I keep looking for information about the different programs, what people know about them, when I should expect to hear back from my programs, programs reputations, etc., and I'm finding no good place to have these discussions. In addition, I have some pretty field-specific questions about programs and their rankings that I would like to get some feedback on from others in the field.

Anyway, adding a section: "The Menu" -----> "Social Science" -----> "Criminology / Criminal Justice"

would be HUGELY appreciated. I know we're still a small bunch, and I've only run across a few others in my field here, but it'd be great if we had a place we could gather. Of course, it's totally possible that there's already a place for us, and I've missed it. If that's the case, I do apologize! Either way, thanks in advance for the consideration!

Yes I agree!! Littlegirl, where are you applying to?

I just got my first PhD acceptance to Indiana University: Bloomington, which would be really cool because I want to go into comparative/international systems and transnational crime, and they have tons of research going on for it. I haven't heard from anyone else yet (and am starting to FREAK OUT), but I also applied to:

1. University of Maryland

2. SUNY: Albany

3. CUNY: John Jay

4. MSU (my undergrad institution)

5. Rutgers

What are you hoping to study/where are you applying?

I was just looking for a link to contact the staff and request the very same thing. What are we? Chopped liver?

Anyway... have applied to UCIs PhD program and am STILL waiting to hear the final word. Looks like they've made some decisions, but according to the grad coordinator, they're not done yet.

Have also applied to Cal State LA (MA-Forensic Mental Health) and Cal State Long Beach (MS-CJ), but UCI is my top choice, obviously.

Best of luck to both of you.

I loved MSU, but I would say it hugely depends on what you want to study. They're big into feminist theory, I know, and they have a few international undertakings. The professors, on a whole, are hugely helpful and are more than willing to work with dedicated students. One professor I'm currently taking a masters level theory class with (just for fun before the real grad school work begins :-)) is currently helping me publish an independent project. I also really love love love East Lansing.

I don't know much about the grad culture for our CJ program, I'm actually more familiar with the grad culture of the rhetoric/writing group from my time at the writing center. I didn't get admitted to their PhD program (I was accepted into their masters), but had I, I would've considered going there.

If you have specific questions, I can definitely help there. Overall, like I said, it was a great experience, and I had so many professors who really did care about my education that it was overwhelming. The only thing to watch for is the professors who are there for your education are all pretty tough, and expect you to work, and have no problem calling you out on your shit when you don't. But personally, I like that, and it worked well for me. What schools are you applying to?

Thanks! That's really helpful. I might think of more questions. :)

I'm at John Jay right now, in the MA program. I really like it here...so if you have questions about NYC or the program, please let me know. I have an interview tomorrow too! :) Are you nervous?

My schools are in the other thread. Thanks again!

I actually have a phone interview with CUNY today. It's with Dr. Terry and Dr. Freileich. I'm incredibly nervous about the whole thing, and trying to figure out what I should be prepared to say. Wish me luck!

I know this sounds incredibly flippant, but just BE YOURSELF. I've had several meetings at UCI and I just KNEW when I was being myself and when I was trying to be someone I was not (yet). You'll do fine.

Good luck!

I hope it went OK. I'm a little nervous because I had to do it over the phone, and I'm really insecure about my research experience (I've been a part of three different projects, but they were all kind of small, grunt work type stuff). Plus, I don't have a masters, which probably doesn't help my chances much.

But I'm with you completely: the program was amazing. I was really impressed with the 5 year set up for funding, and I like that it includes all aspects of the "real world" job to follow: research, teaching assistant, running my own course, publishing, etc. And it's great for international.

But gosh, the stipend---while good in comparison to others---isn't much for NYC. Especially when you have 1 dog (a beagle mix, at that!) and 3 cats and a fiance that are coming along for the grad school ride!

I hope it went OK. I'm a little nervous because I had to do it over the phone, and I'm really insecure about my research experience (I've been a part of three different projects, but they were all kind of small, grunt work type stuff). Plus, I don't have a masters, which probably doesn't help my chances much.

But I'm with you completely: the program was amazing. I was really impressed with the 5 year set up for funding, and I like that it includes all aspects of the "real world" job to follow: research, teaching assistant, running my own course, publishing, etc. And it's great for international.

But gosh, the stipend---while good in comparison to others---isn't much for NYC. Especially when you have 1 dog (a beagle mix, at that!) and 3 cats and a fiance that are coming along for the grad school ride!

I'm sure you did great! How long did you speak for? When did they tell you decisions would be made? I was told in a few weeks, which sound too long. :) I wonder how many people they interview...

Btw, I spoke with a grad student today and he said the stipend is pretty ok, in terms of living here. I would basically be happy to not live on loans, so I would take whatever I can. Also, he really loves the program, and I think I do, too. :) Now, it's back to waiting.

I can just see the rejection letter now:

Dear Applicant:

We must admit that, while we were initially impressed by your admissions profile, your failure to include a "period" in your Statement of Purpose illustrates such a gross inattention to detail, we have decided to deny your admission to the Criminal Justice graduate program. We have, however, referred your file to the English department in the hopes they will take pity on you.

Best of luck in your endeavors

The AdComm

(yes, the period at the end of their conclusory statement was deliberate).

LOL

Yay! I was able to drop off a revised FINAL DRAFT to the grad coordinator at CSULB this morning. As I had only mailed my supplemental application packet yesterday, she was much obliged to help me. God knows I didn't need to worry about this for 2 months!