Chances for funded Phd with low gpa?

jdnwmn

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Grad Cafe. I'm an international 3rd year undergraduate student from another country who is seeking a funded phd program in electrical/computer engineering in the US (I cannot afford colleges in the US).

• In my first year of college, due to some health problems my GPA ended up very poorly (1.2/4 gpa in the 1st year). However, I have fixed it later on, and raised it to 3.3 / 4 by the end of my 3rd year. And I can say that my average GPA in the last two years is 3.5+. In my school it is usually very hard to get high grades, so I am right now the best student in my class.
  • I am going to take the GRE and TOEFL/IELTS tests next month.
  • I have no research experience since I am an undergraduate student.
  • This summer I am going to do an internship at a major and well-known electronics company.
  • I can probably get great recommendation letters.

I am worried about my GPA being low for a funded phd program and I am wondering what are my chances to get accepted. Which engineering schools could match with my profile? Is there anyone who got admitted to a phd program with a low grade, and which schools? I would be very glad to hear your own experience. Thanks in advance for taking your time and recommendations.

Edited by jdnwmn

Your GPA will not keep you out but emphasize that your health problems were temporary, and specifically note that you now have the top grades in your class.

Your lack of undergraduate research is much more of a problem. Grad schools expect you to have research experience. You don't have to be published, but they're not willing to bet the $250,000+ on you to get a PhD if they don't know if you even like doing research. You mention great letters, but letters from professors that you have not done work for are going to be at best plainly good. All of the strongest letters are recountings of research that the student has completed. Industry experience is also far less helpful than academic research. Do everything and anything you can to get research experience now, even if you have to do it at another school. 

You seem very committed, I wish you the best.