IU-Bloomington?

It was once a pretty solid program (used to be ranked top 20 even) but has since dropped significantly. One reason is it hasn't followed the times methodologically, I don't think it even has a year long stats sequence - which is bad. Many of the top profs there have either left or are not productive anymore and I don't think they really have the resources to entice big talent there at the moment. I don't think anyone in comparative is a big mover in the field (not to say they don't have some decent scholars there).

I don't trust any programs that don't make placement lists that include original placements, years, and names. These are usually skewed and not representative of recent placements by the program.

Is it a bad program? No. But I certainly wouldn't go there personally.

Edited by Comparativist

Wisconsin is one of my top choices. The only reason I am really considering IU is because both Hellwig and Smyth are professor there, and I have similar research interests. However, Gehlbach and Herrera at Wisconsin are both excellent, as well.

On 6/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, Comparativist said:

It was once a pretty solid program (used to be ranked top 20 even) but has since dropped significantly. One reason is it hasn't followed the times methodologically, I don't think it even has a year long stats sequence - which is bad. Many of the top profs there have either left or are not productive anymore and I don't think they really have the resources to entice big talent there at the moment. I don't think anyone in comparative is a big mover in the field (not to say they don't have some decent scholars there).

I don't trust any programs that don't make placement lists that include original placements, years, and names. These are usually skewed and not representative of recent placements by the program.

Is it a bad program? No. But I certainly wouldn't go there personally.

1. They do have a year-long stats sequence. 

2. They just made a new hire, although it has not been officially announced yet. But my friend in the department said the news was sent out internally. Most would say he has a very promising career ahead of him. And his interests are likely similar to OP. 

18 hours ago, waterloo715 said:

1. They do have a year-long stats sequence. 

2. They just made a new hire, although it has not been officially announced yet. But my friend in the department said the news was sent out internally. Most would say he has a very promising career ahead of him. And his interests are likely similar to OP. 

Yes, I know who you are referring to. And his interests are closely related to mine.

Edited by deutsch1997bw

My unsolicited advice for people applying in comparative:

Definitely apply to a couple boutique programs (top 20 programs preferably, but perhaps top 30ish as well, that are strong in your area/interests) but definitely target the top 10 departments. As long as you have good area training coming in and are competitive against top applicants, a top 10 department with potentially less of a fit is more ideal than a really good fit at a lower ranked department. You do not need a large number of people working closely on your area and/or interests to make it work. You never know what will happen, might as well try to bat for the fences.

So for the OP, apply to some places like Indiana and Wisconsin, but you should really be shooting for places like Stanford, Michigan, Yale, and Columbia if you are competitive enough to have a shot there. 

Edited by Comparativist

4 hours ago, Comparativist said:

My unsolicited advice for people applying in comparative:

Definitely apply to a couple boutique programs (top 20 programs preferably, but perhaps top 30ish as well, that are strong in your area/interests) but definitely target the top 10 departments. As long as you have good area training coming in and are competitive against top applicants, a top 10 department with potentially less of a fit is more ideal than a really good fit at a lower ranked department. You do not need a large number of people working closely on your area and/or interests to make it work. You never know what will happen, might as well try to bat for the fences.

So for the OP, apply to some places like Indiana and Wisconsin, but you should really be shooting for places like Stanford, Michigan, Yale, and Columbia if you are competitive enough to have a shot there. 

Certainly. I am planning on applying to all four of those universities (SMYC).