GRE verbal Scores

jellajella

Hi everyone,

I just started studying for the GRE Verbal and did a mock test. I got all the sentence equivalents and the text fill in the blanks right (basically all the vocab right), but I usually get a little bit more than half right for the reading comprehension questions. What will be my GRE score for the verbal section? and any tips to improve reading comprehension??

17 minutes ago, jellajella said:

What will be my GRE score for the verbal section?

That's impossible for anyone to predict, not least because your score depends on what difficulty level you get for your second Verbal section and how many of the questions you get right in that section. This link here shows how many questions you need to get right in each section to get a particular score (the link also shows your score by section-adaptive scores). There was a similar study done by someone who had a neat table of their findings, but I can't seem to locate it right now.

As for what you can do to improve your reading comp score? A lot of resources out there. Read some of them and do what works for you, which you can only find out by trying a few approaches and tracking your score.

I think you edited your post by the time I started writing this, because I remember you posting actual practice scores. Online study programs such as Magoosh grade the tests for you. It was great at bringing up my verbal scores. When I began using the product, I was steadily scoring in the mid 150s on mock tests and ended up with a 163 in verbal on the actual test. It's good to watch the videos they use in order to understand why one answer is correct over the others. Since the GRE is a type of standardized test, understanding reasoning about how they set up the test and why certain answers are more correct are extremely important to scoring highly. Since I am in English, I paid little attention to the math portion, although if I had had the time to really practice, I can see there would have been great benefit also. My GRE math score reflects that non-use. But I was intent on being above the 90th percentile in verbals and I succeeded. DogsarePeople had some great advice.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried doing some speed reading? There are a lot of very good programs out there. :)

I would also like to suggest doing some extra tests in Magoosh, Preped and Kaplan. They usually provide free stuff, so no need to worry in spending extra $!