Boston & Cambridge, MA

Mega-bummer! Looking for deleaded apartments sucks. We've got a young one, and had a great place all lined up between Harvard and Inman square in Cambridge. Turns out that the cute little certified deleaded apartment wasn't. Anyone have any suggestions on looking for child-friendly apartments in Cambridge?

Mega-bummer! Looking for deleaded apartments sucks. We've got a young one, and had a great place all lined up between Harvard and Inman square in Cambridge. Turns out that the cute little certified deleaded apartment wasn't. Anyone have any suggestions on looking for child-friendly apartments in Cambridge?

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with your search. Have you tried talking to a rental agent? They're not the best, but they may have an in with landlords that could help you in your search. I previously worked with an agent at Hammond Realty in Harvard Square, and they don't employ the right of college out of town kids who know absolutely nothing about what they're showing you. Oxford Street Realty on Mass Ave. is another suggestion.

Also, have you looked at all in East Arlington? There is a bus that goes straight to Harvard Sq down Mass Ave, and it would also be a quick bike commute. That area has more families and less single YPs, I think, so you may have more luck finding family-friendly housing.

Edited by michpc

Also, have you looked at all in East Arlington? There is a bus that goes straight to Harvard Sq down Mass Ave, and it would also be a quick bike commute. That area has more families and less single YPs, I think, so you may have more luck finding family-friendly housing.

I second East Arlington. I live there and there are a lot of young families. Also, in addition to the bus and the ease of biking, parts of it (like my place) are within walking distance of the Red Line (Alewife Station, which is in Cambridge near the Arlington/Cambridge border).

I did my undergrad at MIT, not my grad. However, a lot of grad students live in off-campus housing and it can be cheaper, depending where you live (that being said, I live in a 600 sq ft apartment in Central Square on Mass Ave and pay $1575... some of my friends have 4-5 roommates and pay $600-700- no apartments here are cheap).

I can say that MIT maintains their buildings really well and is always responsive to issues. You won't have to pay utilities, your commute will be easier, and you'll have a lot less to worry about and maintain (which will be good since you'll prob be studying the whole time). Also, a lot of the grad dorms are near Shaw's, the only large grocery store in the area. I remember Ashdown being pretty nice (it's more on campus than the others), but I think it might still be under construction. I would definitely consider it, especially since you don't know the area and won't know the best places to look in Boston.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning as well. I've just gone into the housing lottery, with efficiency apartments as my first choices (and all of the buildings that have furnished efficiency apartments are apparently the closest ones to campus proper), and I'll be keeping an eye out for possibilities for the following year.

So. . . . I've looked into apartments so far and it seems that for the majority of them, you will have to pay a broker fee. . . and if you don't pay a broker fee, the person offering rooms generally prices the rent higher. If anyone went through a broker, can you estimate the general cost for it? Say for instance I had low standards and just wanted a roof over my head, and running water. . .

I'm attending BU this fall, and I've looked into Allston, Brighton, Brookline. . . and then I looked in Jamaica Plains. Then I stopped looking into Jamaica Plains when it seems rent starts at 1500+. Yea-no. I plan on visiting at the the last week of July into August to find a place and sign a lease. Someone in the financial aid office told me that's a perfect time though I have a feeling it's still cutting it real close. I may have a roommate when I move up, I may not. . but eventually. I'm just so excited and scared at the same time.

I'm attending BU this fall, and I've looked into Allston, Brighton, Brookline. . . and then I looked in Jamaica Plains. Then I stopped looking into Jamaica Plains when it seems rent starts at 1500+. Yea-no. I plan on visiting at the the last week of July into August to find a place and sign a lease. Someone in the financial aid office told me that's a perfect time though I have a feeling it's still cutting it real close. I may have a roommate when I move up, I may not. . but eventually. I'm just so excited and scared at the same time.

If you are okay with a roommate, I disbelieve that you can't find anything under $1500 in JP. The people I know who live there (with roommates, I can only think of three people in all of my local social group who live without roommates and/or a partner) are paying $500-650, roughly. That said, the other places that you mentioned are certainly a little closer to most of BU's campus than JP is.

So. . . . I've looked into apartments so far and it seems that for the majority of them, you will have to pay a broker fee. . . and if you don't pay a broker fee, the person offering rooms generally prices the rent higher. If anyone went through a broker, can you estimate the general cost for it? Say for instance I had low standards and just wanted a roof over my head, and running water. . .

A broker usually charges 1/2-1 months rent. Pretty standard.

So, I will be headed to Tufts as aPh.D. Student on September 1st. I wanted to brieflyoutline my personal situation and ask for advice in order to make aninformed decision for matters pertaining to housing. Thanks ahead oftime for feedback!

1. I am a country guy and am moving to Boston from a rural place. I like my hippy farm co-ops, quiet streets and the sound of nature. In fact, I wouldn't be moving to the area if it wasn't for the fact it was close to home and was my best offer.I don't know if I want roommates yet or not based on the fact that I've never had roommates before. While in grad school I will be maintaining a semi, but drivable, LDR. We plan on seeing each other every weekend and splitting the commute. I don't know if this would be a problem if I had roommates? I plan on being away from my apartment in Mass 2 weekends a month, on all long weekends or additional 1-day Holidays and during all breaks- so, I'd imagine it is kind of a trade off, no? I can totally respect if roommates didn't dig me having company a couple weekends a month, but would hate to get in a situation where I didn't say anything about this and it was a problem. Should I disclose this up front?
  2. What neighborhoods should I consider? I will be bringing my car and would prefer not to have to menace with others for parking. Also, in making this housing decision I really wouldn't mind driving in to Tufts from someplace North if it would be a bit more Suburban and cheaper. I know ideally you want to be close to the lab, but sometimes it is nice to be away and able to shut stuff off when you go home. What neighborhoods North of Medford would be reasonable drives if I hit the road in between the high traffic patterns. Yes, I've driven around that area several times and know how bad it can be at rush hour!
  3. Outside of Medford, maybe with a commute in, what would a studio run? Could I grab one for 850$?
  4. The job I have now doesn't pay a lot, but I have been able to save for the move. I will have what I think is more than enough to move (banking on paying 3 months rent up front) by July 1. Is this too late for September 1?
Edited by Bookman84

So, I will be headed to Tufts as aPh.D. Student on September 1st. I wanted to brieflyoutline my personal situation and ask for advice in order to make aninformed decision for matters pertaining to housing. Thanks ahead oftime for feedback!

1. I am a country guy and am moving to Boston from a rural place. I like my hippy farm co-ops, quiet streets and the sound of nature. In fact, I wouldn't be moving to the area if it wasn't for the fact it was close to home and was my best offer.I don't know if I want roommates yet or not based on the fact that I've never had roommates before. While in grad school I will be maintaining a semi, but drivable, LDR. We plan on seeing each other every weekend and splitting the commute. I don't know if this would be a problem if I had roommates? I plan on being away from my apartment in Mass 2 weekends a month, on all long weekends or additional 1-day Holidays and during all breaks- so, I'd imagine it is kind of a trade off, no? I can totally respect if roommates didn't dig me having company a couple weekends a month, but would hate to get in a situation where I didn't say anything about this and it was a problem. Should I disclose this up front?
  2. What neighborhoods should I consider? I will be bringing my car and would prefer not to have to menace with others for parking. Also, in making this housing decision I really wouldn't mind driving in to Tufts from someplace North if it would be a bit more Suburban and cheaper. I know ideally you want to be close to the lab, but sometimes it is nice to be away and able to shut stuff off when you go home. What neighborhoods North of Medford would be reasonable drives if I hit the road in between the high traffic patterns. Yes, I've driven around that area several times and know how bad it can be at rush hour!
  3. Outside of Medford, maybe with a commute in, what would a studio run? Could I grab one for 850$?
  4. The job I have now doesn't pay a lot, but I have been able to save for the move. I will have what I think is more than enough to move (banking on paying 3 months rent up front) by July 1. Is this too late for September 1?

For your roommate questions...I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I told my soon-to-be roommates up front that I was in a LDR and that my boyfriend would probably be up at least a couple times per month. They didn't have a problem with that. I always let them know ahead of time if he was going to be there that weekend, and it was never an issue while I lived there. I think if you're courteous and forthright about it, it's usually not a problem for reasonable people. Just obviously avoid things like letting your visitor take extra long showers, or use the washer and dryer, etc.

That particular apartment was actually in the Davis Square area not terribly far from Tufts. Parking for residents with a permit is never a major issue. Occasionally I had a park a few blocks away on street cleaning or snow emergency days, but the rest of the time I was usually no more than a few houses away. Also, many of the homes in the area have some sort of off street parking situation that you can share with roommates/building-mates.

Unfortunately, I hate the suburbs, so I can't help you on that front. All I know is that places like Woburn have those massive ugly complexes by the highway, which I'm sure are more quiet and cheaper. I would tend to think that it might be hard to find smaller apartments out in the 'burbs as the people living out there are more likely to be families. But it may be worth just picking some towns to the north and searching on Craigslist.

July 1 is not too late for September 1. All 3 of the leases I've had in this area have had 60 day clauses, so generally 2 months ahead of time is when you'll see the majority of listings pop up, so you're good to go for July 1.

Good luck with your hunt!

Beautiful! This makes me happy to know I can be near Tufts without parking issues. I have a buddy who lives in a complex in Woburn...I call it the concrete jungle! The houses aren't that bad though. I'm coming from the country so transitioning to a more busy living area is going to be an adjustment because, well, I like the quiet! I figured maybe play it safe and live out for 9 months. If I love it I can move closer, but I haven't ruled out Medford at all. it is also great to know roommates are reasonable. Just as a side how did the LDR work? Maybe that is too personal, but it would be cool to compare dynamics to know better what I might be in for!

How about rents is 650-800 a good range? I'd imagine the upper threshold includes utilities.

How is Stoneham and Melrose? Are they close to metro lines?

You've been a huge help.

For your roommate questions...I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I told my soon-to-be roommates up front that I was in a LDR and that my boyfriend would probably be up at least a couple times per month. They didn't have a problem with that. I always let them know ahead of time if he was going to be there that weekend, and it was never an issue while I lived there. I think if you're courteous and forthright about it, it's usually not a problem for reasonable people. Just obviously avoid things like letting your visitor take extra long showers, or use the washer and dryer, etc.

That particular apartment was actually in the Davis Square area not terribly far from Tufts. Parking for residents with a permit is never a major issue. Occasionally I had a park a few blocks away on street cleaning or snow emergency days, but the rest of the time I was usually no more than a few houses away. Also, many of the homes in the area have some sort of off street parking situation that you can share with roommates/building-mates.

Unfortunately, I hate the suburbs, so I can't help you on that front. All I know is that places like Woburn have those massive ugly complexes by the highway, which I'm sure are more quiet and cheaper. I would tend to think that it might be hard to find smaller apartments out in the 'burbs as the people living out there are more likely to be families. But it may be worth just picking some towns to the north and searching on Craigslist.

July 1 is not too late for September 1. All 3 of the leases I've had in this area have had 60 day clauses, so generally 2 months ahead of time is when you'll see the majority of listings pop up, so you're good to go for July 1.

Good luck with your hunt!

Beautiful! This makes me happy to know I can be near Tufts without parking issues. I have a buddy who lives in a complex in Woburn...I call it the concrete jungle! The houses aren't that bad though. I'm coming from the country so transitioning to a more busy living area is going to be an adjustment because, well, I like the quiet! I figured maybe play it safe and live out for 9 months. If I love it I can move closer, but I haven't ruled out Medford at all. it is also great to know roommates are reasonable. Just as a side how did the LDR work? Maybe that is too personal, but it would be cool to compare dynamics to know better what I might be in for!

How about rents is 650-800 a good range? I'd imagine the upper threshold includes utilities.

How is Stoneham and Melrose? Are they close to metro lines?

You've been a huge help.

For living near Tufts, as long as you have roommates, 650-800 is entirely reasonable. The upper threshold might or might not include utilities depending on the place.

Melrose has some bus lines, some commuter rail, and almost has the Oak Grove Orange Line stop (it's on the Melrose/Malden border). Not great public transit, but some public transit. None of the public transit goes to Tufts, though. I think Stoneham has some buses and that's about it.

You can certainly get quiet in Medford or East Arlington, if it's loudness that you're worried about, and the cost will still be within your range, and you'll have an easier time getting to Tufts.

For living near Tufts, as long as you have roommates, 650-800 is entirely reasonable. The upper threshold might or might not include utilities depending on the place.

Melrose has some bus lines, some commuter rail, and almost has the Oak Grove Orange Line stop (it's on the Melrose/Malden border). Not great public transit, but some public transit. None of the public transit goes to Tufts, though. I think Stoneham has some buses and that's about it.

You can certainly get quiet in Medford or East Arlington, if it's loudness that you're worried about, and the cost will still be within your range, and you'll have an easier time getting to Tufts.

I agree with this. And I know you're coming from the country, but I've never found it to be very loud around here. There's the occasional loud party, barking dogs, and kids running around the streets, but I find that it's not hard to spend an afternoon outside reading without much distraction, even a couple blocks off a major road, where I live now, and during the cold months when windows are closed, I rarely ever hear neighbors, including the ones in my building.

To Bookman, I live with the BF now, but I'm not sure if he'll be coming with me on my grad school move, so we'll see how it actually "works out". I did long distance with him for several years, and I'm not really sure how that will work at a 6-7 hour distance when I'd like to have a weekend life of my own since I'll know I'll be working my butt off all week long. Frankly, the weekend thing gets a bit tiring.

Melrose and Stoneham seem to be within biking distance (5 miles) of Tufts. I have a buddy who lives in Woburn which is close. Maybe the thing to do would be to bring my bike town and take a drop off in Stoneham and bike to Tufts, and the same goes for Melrose. The drive isn't killer, even if I factor in gas at 5$/gallon. However, I have sat in the traffic down there on several occasions, and getting places at rush hour sucks. THe good news is a wuick look at my potential schedule and I only have classes 2-3 days a week and need to be there once by 9! If I head north of Stoneham I find more places that have garages and a little more for the cash you spend. I guess my logic is since I know I'll be commuting 95 miles home at least 2 weekends a month and on vacations, and that my SO will be coming to see me 2 weekends being a bit more out might make that easier in terms of having less roommates, less drama more parking, etc. However, I am sure there is something I am missing in that thought!

Edited by Bookman84

Thanks so much for this!

Ya, we'll be 90 minutes of highway driving away from each other. It's feasible enough to get there on a weekend without spending a whole day driving, and I think makes getting there on odd days off like Veteran's day much easier. I guess it makes it seem like a semi LDR if it s feasible to get there even for a day or two at the most and vice versa. I'm also hoping splitting the commute will save on cash for both of us. We did the distance thing at 2.5 hours when we first met. I was pretty pessimistic about it going anywhere, but by a thread of luck she ended up in my neighborhood for a temporary lab job and the relationship has been going somewhere nice! I think the only way we live together in the short term though is if she ends up working a bit more south and I end up commuting from 40-50 minutes outside of Tufts. I wouldn't ask anyone to make that kind of sacrifice for me though.

Anyways, I'm rambling and hijacking my own question!

I agree with this. And I know you're coming from the country, but I've never found it to be very loud around here. There's the occasional loud party, barking dogs, and kids running around the streets, but I find that it's not hard to spend an afternoon outside reading without much distraction, even a couple blocks off a major road, where I live now, and during the cold months when windows are closed, I rarely ever hear neighbors, including the ones in my building.

To Bookman, I live with the BF now, but I'm not sure if he'll be coming with me on my grad school move, so we'll see how it actually "works out". I did long distance with him for several years, and I'm not really sure how that will work at a 6-7 hour distance when I'd like to have a weekend life of my own since I'll know I'll be working my butt off all week long. Frankly, the weekend thing gets a bit tiring.

Edited by Bookman84

Melrose and Stoneham seem to be within biking distance (5 miles) of Tufts. I have a buddy who lives in Woburn which is close. Maybe the thing to do would be to bring my bike town and take a drop off in Stoneham and bike to Tufts, and the same goes for Melrose. The drive isn't killer, even if I factor in gas at 5$/gallon. However, I have sat in the traffic down there on several occasions, and getting places at rush hour sucks. THe good news is a wuick look at my potential schedule and I only have classes 2-3 days a week and need to be there once by 9! If I head north of Stoneham I find more places that have garages and a little more for the cash you spend. I guess my logic is since I know I'll be commuting 95 miles home at least 2 weekends a month and on vacations, and that my SO will be coming to see me 2 weekends being a bit more out might make that easier in terms of having less roommates, less drama more parking, etc. However, I am sure there is something I am missing in that thought!

Really, it all depends on what you want. I wouldn't want to live up there, because I don't like stereotypical suburbia. I like places with public transit and real commercial districts that I can walk to and easy access to Boston. Given your situation with your relationship, you might prefer somewhere that works for both you and your SO, even if it does not have those conveniences. Or you might just care more about getting more house for your money.

As far as biking goes, I think biking is great, but it is important to remember that the weather is sometimes a problem in the Boston area. Even if you're a hardy sort who doesn't mind biking in below-freezing temperatures - and many folks are - you end up with icy roads, bike paths that aren't plowed (some towns plow theirs and some do not), piles of snow and ice shoveled directly into bike lanes, and drivers who somehow forget how to drive in icy conditions every year. I like biking, but I would not want to be bike-dependent for a commute. It sounds, though, like you can get around this by driving on the days that you can't really bike.

Is it hard to sublet a studio apartment outside of Boston for the summer? I'm seeing things in my price range, but I don't want to be around in the summer and am thinking if I had roommates getting out would be easier.

50-50. I've never done it, but some of my friends have. Most people I know who have subletted have had some big issues (them refusing to pay a month's rent for various reasons, broke things and didn't call to get it fixed for months, etc. etc. ) with the subletters... since they are there for only a few months and don't have a contract, I don't think they (especially younger students) care about the place or about you, or about being fair. So keep in mind there are always risks with subletting.

Also, Boston is a LOT quieter in the summer. You might get some people coming for the summer for internships or something, but tons of people who live in Boston (esp near the universities) are only here Sept-May. In my experience, housing demand is down a lot in the summer- you may have trouble finding someone to sublease, or at least sublease at 100% of your rent, if it's on the high end. In addition, some leases don't let you sublet. My lease specifically states I cannot. If I went to my landlord and talked to him about it, maybe let him run a credit check on them, etc. then MAYBE he'd be okay with it, but I'm not really sure since he's a bit particular. That being said, my landlord is pretty hands-on, many other buildings in the area aren't like that.

So, I'd keep in mind that you might run into some problems, and I'd make sure you had the ability (money) to cover summer rent if you need to. But it's probably doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the Harvard Housing Office's lottery service (through the real estate office) to find a place to live? I sent in my application and have a view-and-select window near the beginning of June. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows someone who lives in one of these places. I'm curious about the quality/condition of the apartments, as well as the atmosphere in the buildings. Some of the places look quite nice (and are in fantastic locations), but they seem a tiny bit pricey compared to what I'm finding on craigslist.

In addition, does anyone know the names of good rental agents in Cambridge? I'm planning to visit for a few days in early June and would love to line up a bunch of apartment viewings, and I think a good agent would make that a lot easier.

Thanks a bunch!!

To answer your question about an agent, I dealt with Maureen Chasson. She was very helpful and is good about emailing updates. I did decide to move into Harvard housing at Peabody Terrace. It seemed to be my best option since we will be moving into a place sight unseen. It is a little expensive, but you don't have to pay a deposit and all utilities are included in rent.

I will be moving to Cambridge at the beginning of June. I want to know which gyms are best for a serious weight lifter or if there are any 24 hour gyms in the area.

Do you know where you're living? In my experience, Boston Sports Clubs and Planet fitness are not for serious lifters. I'm not sure if there are independent gyms, but I use Bally in Porter Sq and although it's not the nicest, it has a full range of free weights, including 2 squat racks. The gym manager seems to be a competitor, so you wouldn't feel out or place there lifting heavy.

MIT's athletic center keeps winning awards and recognition for being one of the best gyms in Boston. Might be worth looking into (:

reading this thread has been really helpful. : )

does anyone know anything about the 85-95 prescott street block of harvard affiliated housing?

e.g. the area, the building, how loud the nearby art museum construction work gets...

from what i can tell it's really close to main campus buildings, but i don't know much else about it.

Hi all! I'm knee-deep in realtors and potential apartments right now, but I'm having a problem. I'm starting an MS at BU in the fall and our orientation is on Sept 1st... but 99.9% of the listings are "available September 1st". The small number that aren't are available in July, and the realtors that I've spoken to have made it pretty clear that I'm going to be lucky to find anything in August. Unfortunately, since I'm moving from Seattle it's not an option for me to start orientation without having an apartment, and I also can't afford to pay for 1 1/2 months that I won't be living in Boston, along with my current rent in Seattle.

How have other people gotten around this? I'll admit, I'm feeling a little scared about how things are going to turn out right now.

Hi all! I'm knee-deep in realtors and potential apartments right now, but I'm having a problem. I'm starting an MS at BU in the fall and our orientation is on Sept 1st... but 99.9% of the listings are "available September 1st". The small number that aren't are available in July, and the realtors that I've spoken to have made it pretty clear that I'm going to be lucky to find anything in August. Unfortunately, since I'm moving from Seattle it's not an option for me to start orientation without having an apartment, and I also can't afford to pay for 1 1/2 months that I won't be living in Boston, along with my current rent in Seattle.

How have other people gotten around this? I'll admit, I'm feeling a little scared about how things are going to turn out right now.

Hey dogfishing, I've been thinking through some similar scheduling/moving constraints (not quite as tight for me, but still!). As long as you had a solid place arranged ahead of time, maybe you could just show up for orientation—stay in a hotel the night or two before, if necessary—and then unpack and try(!) to settle in a bit over Labor Day weekend? I'll probably be doing something similar, although my orientation isn't until Monday.

Anyone else have advice on managing and, with any luck, surviving what I assume is the pure chaos of the city-wide student move-in weekend?