Boston & Cambridge, MA

I am looking to start school in Cambridge in September. Does anyone know of affordable apartments in either the Cambridge, Somerville, or surrounding areas (reasonably accessible via the T/rail system?). I am a single female and am looking for a studio type place in a safe neighborhood.

Thanks! :)

What do you consider affordable? That's going to heavily influence my recommendations.

Affordable studios are not easy to find in any case, especially in safe neighborhoods (though I will note that a lot of the "unsafe" neighborhoods of Cambridge and Somerville are less unsafe these days than the bad areas of many other cities). People usually live with housemates or significant others.

In the nicer areas of Cambridge and Somerville (Davis Square/Ball Square, Porter Square, Harvard Square, West Cambridge, Strawberry Hill, Neighborhood Nine, maybe Cambridgeport), an apartment shared with others will probably cost $550-$800 per person per month, not including heat or utilities, depending on how big the place is (bigger places with more people sharing tend to be cheaper), how many bathrooms there are (if there's one bathroom for an apartment that holds five or six people, it will probably be cheaper), what condition the place is in (you want to check on this, as some are not very well-maintained), and precisely where it is (Harvard Square will almost certainly cost more, places that are steps to the Red Line are more expensive than places that are a half-mile walk or more). East Arlington also falls into this general category of places. All of these areas have pretty good public transit access; some of them have excellent access. You will have trouble finding a studio for $1000/month in these areas, and possibly trouble finding one for $1200/month.

If this sounds too steep for you, Watertown, Waltham, Arlington (other than East Arlington, which I mentioned before), and parts of Boston's Jamaica Plain are all likely to be a little cheaper, still fairly nice, and are still doable by public transit. Possibly also places with lots of immigrants and blue-collar families, like Everett or Revere, but I don't know as much about that area. If you're willing to try a rougher area, you can find cheaper places in Cambridge's Area 4 or East Cambridge, Somerville's Winter Hill, or Boston's Roxbury, Dorchester, or Mission Hill. If your school in Cambridge is MIT, Area 4 and East Cambridge would both put you within easy walking distance of campus. A middle ground might be an area like Cambridge's Union Square (moderate safety level, mediocre public transit but within walking distance of a lot of things, relatively cheap).

If you want prices that are much cheaper than I discussed earlier, but still in a nice neighborhood, you'll probably have to go further out and buy a car (which might negate the price difference in housing). You might get lucky and find some place for cheap in Belmont (which is both nice and pretty close in), but my understanding is that Belmont tends to be pricey.

What do you consider affordable? That's going to heavily influence my recommendations.

Affordable studios are not easy to find in any case, especially in safe neighborhoods (though I will note that a lot of the "unsafe" neighborhoods of Cambridge and Somerville are less unsafe these days than the bad areas of many other cities). People usually live with housemates or significant others.

In the nicer areas of Cambridge and Somerville (Davis Square/Ball Square, Porter Square, Harvard Square, West Cambridge, Strawberry Hill, Neighborhood Nine, maybe Cambridgeport), an apartment shared with others will probably cost $550-$800 per person per month, not including heat or utilities, depending on how big the place is (bigger places with more people sharing tend to be cheaper), how many bathrooms there are (if there's one bathroom for an apartment that holds five or six people, it will probably be cheaper), what condition the place is in (you want to check on this, as some are not very well-maintained), and precisely where it is (Harvard Square will almost certainly cost more, places that are steps to the Red Line are more expensive than places that are a half-mile walk or more). East Arlington also falls into this general category of places. All of these areas have pretty good public transit access; some of them have excellent access. You will have trouble finding a studio for $1000/month in these areas, and possibly trouble finding one for $1200/month.

If this sounds too steep for you, Watertown, Waltham, Arlington (other than East Arlington, which I mentioned before), and parts of Boston's Jamaica Plain are all likely to be a little cheaper, still fairly nice, and are still doable by public transit. Possibly also places with lots of immigrants and blue-collar families, like Everett or Revere, but I don't know as much about that area. If you're willing to try a rougher area, you can find cheaper places in Cambridge's Area 4 or East Cambridge, Somerville's Winter Hill, or Boston's Roxbury, Dorchester, or Mission Hill. If your school in Cambridge is MIT, Area 4 and East Cambridge would both put you within easy walking distance of campus. A middle ground might be an area like Cambridge's Union Square (moderate safety level, mediocre public transit but within walking distance of a lot of things, relatively cheap).

If you want prices that are much cheaper than I discussed earlier, but still in a nice neighborhood, you'll probably have to go further out and buy a car (which might negate the price difference in housing). You might get lucky and find some place for cheap in Belmont (which is both nice and pretty close in), but my understanding is that Belmont tends to be pricey.

Roxbury and Dorchester definitely don't fit into the "safe" category.

Well, yes, arguably none of the places in my "rougher area" category do, though you could debate East Cambridge and Mission Hill.

Though I still think it's important to emphasize that "unsafe" in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville is not the same as "unsafe" in some other cities (anymore). There might be specific blocks or something that I'd avoid, but there is no general neighborhood of Boscamberville that I'd be unwilling to walk through alone in daylight. Area 4 is the most "unsafe" area of Cambridge (and I certainly know several people who have been mugged there at night), and it has that big old housing project right along Main Street, but I walked through it (generally right at the edge of the previously-mentioned project), alone, at night, dozens of times when I was an undergrad, without a problem. I have friends, young professionals who make good money, who choose to live in Area 4, because of its proximity to good food, the Red Line, Tech Square/Kendall Square workplaces, and geeky social activities based at the MIT campus.

Oh, another rougher area (not as much so as Roxbury/Dorchester, which are the roughest areas that I mentioned), that tends to be relatively cheap: Allston. Lots of students live in Allston. Though, how convenient it is for someone attending school in Cambridge, depends on which Cambridge school you attend (it's pretty convenient to Harvard).

Despite all the tourists, I fell in love with Harvard Square after I discovered the "garden level" comic book store.

Heck yes! Though their graphic novel selection is a bit limited (but they can't help their size).

• 4 months later...

I'm looking to move to the area around Boston College, probably Cleveland Circle...does anyone have any advice/tips?

Also, I'm terrified of the idea of driving around the Boston area. How good is the public transportation? (is it expensive, can I get a ride on the T at 2 A.M. or does it shut down at midnight, etc.)

Thanks!

I'm looking to move to the area around Boston College, probably Cleveland Circle...does anyone have any advice/tips?

Also, I'm terrified of the idea of driving around the Boston area. How good is the public transportation? (is it expensive, can I get a ride on the T at 2 A.M. or does it shut down at midnight, etc.)

Thanks!

I'm living in the Cleveland Circle area at the moment - it's great. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but incredibly convenient for BC and great transport links.

The T stops at around 1.30ish... or the last T arrives at Cleveland Circle at around that time, so I presume it leaves from downtown just before 1am or so.

I would look for apartments that are closer to Beacon Street than to Comm Ave (to be closer to the C, rather than the B - and also to be closer to the supermarket and restaurants), and also further along Beacon Street towards (or in) the Washington Square area is also a great place to live if you're at BC - there are a lot of nicer cafes and restaurants in that area - Cleveland Circle itself has most of what you need but it is more basic and fast-foody.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of driving in Boston unless you absolutely had to... the public transport is great, and the drivers are insane...no contest.

Edited by wreckofthehope

Thanks!

http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

A monthly pass for the T and bus is $59- that's probably the kind of pass you'd want, or you could pay per ride- $1.70. Your school might offer discounted semester passes. Cleveland circle is pretty close to the D line, too, which is the fastest route into Boston compared to the C and B lines, but the C and B lines are good for doing shopping closer to home. I've only driven in the Boston area, so I have no basis for comparison, but I don't think it's that terrifying. But you won't really need to drive unless if you want to buy groceries in bulk, travel, or have a pet. I think it's pretty common for students not to have cars in Boston.

http://mbta.com/fare..._passes/passes/

A monthly pass for the T and bus is $59- that's probably the kind of pass you'd want, or you could pay per ride- $1.70. Your school might offer discounted semester passes. Cleveland circle is pretty close to the D line, too, which is the fastest route into Boston compared to the C and B lines, but the C and B lines are good for doing shopping closer to home. I've only driven in the Boston area, so I have no basis for comparison, but I don't think it's that terrifying. But you won't really need to drive unless if you want to buy groceries in bulk, travel, or have a pet. I think it's pretty common for students not to have cars in Boston.

Ha - sorry to have inadvertently insulted your driving! :rolleyes:

Yeah - the D is great, and at Cleveland circle you can easily get that into town; I would love to live on the D, but finding apartments in a good price range is a lot more difficult as the neighbourhoods along the D are more family oriented and pricey. Living somewhere on the southern side of Beacon Street between Cleveland Circle and Washington Square (lots of nice roads behind Beacon Street) leaves you close enough to the D to make use of it for trips into town but also close enough to the amenities on Beacon. But it depends what kind of neighbourhood you're looking for... I'm a fully fledged adult in a long term relationship with many years of full-time work behind me, so I would prefer a less studenty environment. If you're younger, you'd probably enjoy Cleveland Circle more because it tends to be where a lot of BC grad students live their first year.

Oh, and the student rate for a monthly T pass is around $49, I think (you have to buy them by the semester, rather than monthly and it's around $200+). I never get one as it doesn't seem to work out cheaper than paying per-ride for me but if you were planning on being in the city every day then it would be worth it.

Edited by wreckofthehope

• 1 month later...

Hey all -

I'm in Boston right now looking for apartments, and I'm not having any luck with the offerings from CL, especially as most rents seem to start in March and I won't be up here until May/June.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how they found their apartments? Are there any other sites I should check out?

Thanks!

Finding an apartment in Boston is all about timing. Unfortunately, your timing is a bit off :( Boston has a fairly predictable renting season. Renters know that students need housing in Late Aug/early Sept. They start asking their current tenants around March/April if they will be renewing their leases, at least in the Allston/Brighton area. You'll see a lot of postings come up for Sept leasing as spring approaches. This has always been my experience and the realtors have told me as much.

In my personal experience, I've had luck finding places in May... June can be a bit trickier. I wouldn't worry too much if May/June is the only time that you can look. I've had good experience using realtors; they're the ones posting all those rooms on craigslist anyway. AND you can screen for no fee apartments and apartments where the landlord pays the realtor fee.

Never take a place sight unseen! Apartments have their quirks around here.

I also really like Cleveland Circle EXCEPT Strathmore RD. Don't take an apartment that faces the street because it is noisily littered with drunk undergrads and some frat houses. This is a main cut through road to the B line for boisterous Boston drunks to clamor down after bars are out.

Ahh, gotcha. I'm planning on coming back up here anyway in March during my spring break, so I suppose that'd probably be a better time to look at apartments, eh? I wouldn't mind paying May rent for an apartment even if I wasn't living there yet, as long as I can just FIND one! :P

Bumping this thread up because I was just accepted into Brandeis and it's my number one choice thus far...

What is the cost of living here? What would a modest studio or one bedroom cost? Does the proximity to Boston hike up the price? Granted, I've been living in New York for the past two years, so anything that's not $950 for a shared room will seem like a steal to me.

I have possibly what is possibly a really pathetic question. I'm considering turning down a really great Boston school because it's so damn cold! I'm from Florida and visiting Boston in January was absolutely miserable for me! How do you stay warm in the winter? How do you make boots waterproof? Is there a special brand of extra warm clothing I should be buying? Do you leave your home between December and March??

So I was just accepted to Brandeis. They are giving me a 10 month, 20k stipend. Where I'm from, 20k would definitely be a livable stipend, but that seems cutting things close in Boston. Is it really possible to live in Boston on 15k?

Hard for me to imagine living on 15K in Boston, but 20K could be enough. If you are renting alone you'll probably have to pay 1K per month in rent.

So I was just accepted to Brandeis. They are giving me a 10 month, 20k stipend. Where I'm from, 20k would definitely be a livable stipend, but that seems cutting things close in Boston. Is it really possible to live in Boston on 15k?

Brandeis is in Waltham, not Boston. I haven't lived there, but I'm sure it's cheaper than renting in Boston or Cambridge.

I have possibly what is possibly a really pathetic question. I'm considering turning down a really great Boston school because it's so damn cold! I'm from Florida and visiting Boston in January was absolutely miserable for me! How do you stay warm in the winter? How do you make boots waterproof? Is there a special brand of extra warm clothing I should be buying? Do you leave your home between December and March??

Part of it is preparation, part of it is acclimation. For preparation: Wear layers. When it gets really cold I (a guy) wear an undershirt, T shirt/sweater, sweatshirt, and winter jacket. A hat is a must during the cold winter, especially because the wind can be really bad. When it gets really bad I will wear longjohns or PJs under my jeans, and you need to have good waterproof boots. Your apartment will likely be cold during the winters and at night, because unless you live in a new apartment building, most buildings and houses in New England are old and not very well insulated. You can crank the heat all you want, but you will end up paying enormous energy bills and wasting a lot of the heat as it seeps out the leaking windows, doors, and walls. So get a bunch of sweatshirts to wear around the house, warm pajamas, and lots of heavy blankets for your bed.

As for acclimation, there's not much you can do. I have live in the northeast my whole life and don't mind the cold at all, as long as I'm prepared for it. I will regularly go out in short sleeves during the fall and spring and am only really bothered by it during brutal stretches during the winter (this winter has been amazingly easy). My fiancee, on the other hand, has lived in New England with me for 7 years since moving from California, and she still absolutely hates the cold. She bundles and wraps up in blankets, but she's pretty miserable from November through March.

On the bright side, though, you will never enjoy the first warm days of spring as much as you will after having endured a brutally cold winter =)

When I lived there with my partner we loooked at apartments ranging from aboit 1000-1300 for a 1 bed. the big difference in price was mainly related to things like does your landlord shovel your walkway? Is there a garage? How large? And is heat paid for? We ended up going for a large 1 bedroom with fully paid heat for $1150/mo. I have to say that paid heat was the best decision I've ever made -- we were from California at that point, and I kept the thermostat above 72 degrees EVERY day in the winter!

Food can be a little expensive -- again compaired to CA. Otherwise, the cost of living seems reasonable. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

I am from New England originally and live in Boston now. My girlfriend is from Sacramento, though, where winter is 50 degrees. She has spent about five winters here.

Here's the thing: The cold, per se, is not what you have to worry about. Yes it sucks to not be able to read outside or go on long walks. But the cold is easy to ignore if you're prepared, as dhm0219 pointed out. Being prepared means investing in a great coat, good boots, and long underwear. Yes, that's a couple hundred dollars. Consider it an investment. You will thank yourself every day when you walk outside.

What you do have to worry about is the emotional strain of 4 months with minimal sunlight, constant cold dampness, and trudging through snow and ice. Seasonal affective disorder (or something on the spectrum toward it) is common among many of us. The month of February is the most miserable time of year for me, and always has been. The antidote, however, usually lies in having a strong social network, things to keep you occupied and distract you from the weather, and regular exercise.

I wouldn't pass up a great opportunity just because of weather. If you really think that the winter will affect you emotionally (which is perfectly legitimate), then that's cause to reconsider.

The good thing about Boston is that things are close together, the public transportation is decent, and there's plenty to keep you busy indoors. People don't just hibernate through the winter. They go to bars and museums and concerts and cafes.

And look on the bright side: At least it's not Chicago, Madison, or Montreal.

Hi I am going to BU next year but I have a few friends who will be at Harvard and I would like to find a place that is cheaper but also near public transportation so I can get to both places easily. Any recommendations?

I am not from Boston but from somewhere far colder (Canadian oil sands, cough), so I am looking forward to better weather all around :). Thick waterproof snow boots should not be hard to come by. Boots are definitely necessary. However, a pair of good sturdy sneakers will also carry you a long way as long as the ground is not covered by a foot of snow. As for extra warm clothing, as mentioned, layering up is important. Also buy a padded jacket, down is probably the best, and get one that has a hood that can be fastened. You probably won't just get by with just a pair of jeans, especially if you are from Florida and not used to it. Get stockings (the thicker cotton ones, not the really thin nylon) and leggings (thick wool/woven cotton ones, not the jeggings), over knee socks, and have fun layering them up. Normally two layers is all you need; I tramp around in stockings, leggings and a skirt all the time in winter. One more layer of sweatpants and I can walk around for half hour in -40 weather. And the last thing is you most definitely need gloves, and you probably want thicker ones too.

PS: I am sure most buildings in the northeast should be properly heated, which really makes everything better. I was in Bay Area CA for 4 years, and I hated winters there. The single biggest reason is that I didn't have heating in my apartment. And when it's only a few degrees above freezing, so foggy and damp, AND no heating indoor, it makes one miserable living environment.

Unfortunately there is no fix for dampness and lack of sunshine......