Boston & Cambridge, MA

@monastic above mentioned a few great points, but I would add the following caveats/perspectives:

-As a previous Somerville resident and Harvard affiliate, Somerville is NOT a bad place to be if you're planning on studying at Harvard. It seems a bit more inconvenient off the bat, but there are a couple of handy bus routes that will take you straight to Harvard Square from Union Square.  The Red line is awesome but it is not the end-all, be-all.
...on the other hand, Winter Hill/north of Highland Ave=NOT the ideal place to live.  That uphill walk is like death (literally) especially with snow on the ground; I've also seen way too many cars stuck on that hill because the city didn't bother to plow on time :ph34r:

-If you're a Harvard affiliate looking for a studio or something more reasonable in terms of pricing, I would look around Lechmere or in North Cambridge/East Arlington.  Both have bus routes/lines to connect you to Harvard Square, are relatively quiet with young families, and are still more affordable than Harvard/Central/Porter Square

-For the most part, the best way to find housing in Boston/Cambridge is not to go through a realtor.  In my few years as a Cambridge resident, the best "my room/apartment/flat is such a steal!" stories came not from those who worked w/realtors or building mgmt companies, but rather found housing from independent landlords. Just food for thought!  I know this is not feasible for everyone, especially if you can't visit your apartment in person before signing the lease.

On 5/10/2016 at 2:35 PM, nicolemae said:

@Heather1011 All the options you mentioned sounds viable! There are like a bajillion zipcars in Cambridge.  Just book one a few days before you need it, so that you know it'll be there.

As for where to stay, I think that's a personal matter! If you want a last few days of hurrah/hanging out in NYC, you should hang out there and just move everything on July 9.  Or, if it's possible, I would ask the current tenant if it's ok to leave your stuff there from July 1 through 9 so that you don't have to worry about your stuff.  If you're going to be there as a permanent tenant in like 8 days, they'll for the most part be OK with you leaving a few suitcases to hang out in your future room or something.  I've done that before a couple of times. 

Do you happen to know if there's a way to find out who the current HU tenant is?  I just got my HUH selection this morning, awaiting the lease.  

Also, does it ever happen that current tenants vacate their places earlier than the start date?  My lease starts July 9, I was hoping people may move on July 1...

Any tips for supermarkets in Cambridge?  Mine is nowhere near any of the Whole Foods/Trader Joes and there's no easy bus or train route to get to them :(  (Plus Whole Foods is so expensive)... are there other supermarkets?

Do you have any specific zipcar companies?  I went on zipcar.com but it seemed like you had to pay for a membership instead of just rent for the day.

Edited by Heather1011

On May 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM, ac40507 said:

Is it worth it to pay more and live in Back Bay/South End than to pay less and live in dorchester near fields corner/ashmont?

You will be paying likely a lot more in Back Bay/South End than in Dorchester. To the point where I think it's probably not comparable, especially on a grad school budget.

On 4/30/2016 at 0:26 AM, telkanuru said:

Yes, these are all higher-crime areas, though Allston isn't exactly safe. But Eastie is substantially worse than Dorchester, generally speaking. The Dot is fine near Savin Hill and down Dot ave to Codman Sq. 

You might also try Malden near the orange line, but that's been getting pricey. 

I really like http://www.universalhub.com/ for my local news.

I looked at an apartment in Dorchester: super cheap rent, with reasonable-seeming graduate student roommates.  The place is near Ashmont station, on Talbot Avenue.  I was a little sketched out by the area, although to be fair this is probably because I had to drive through bad parts of Roxbury to get there.  Is anyone familiar with this part of Dorchester?  I would like to save money, but I do think I have to put safety first, and I am just not sure how much of an issue safety would be in that area.  I know it's all relative, and it is the city, so nothing is going to be as safe as I'm used to being/feeling in a small town, but does anyone have thoughts on this?

On 5/15/2016 at 8:50 PM, jdg said:

I looked at an apartment in Dorchester: super cheap rent, with reasonable-seeming graduate student roommates.  The place is near Ashmont station, on Talbot Avenue.  I was a little sketched out by the area, although to be fair this is probably because I had to drive through bad parts of Roxbury to get there.  Is anyone familiar with this part of Dorchester?  I would like to save money, but I do think I have to put safety first, and I am just not sure how much of an issue safety would be in that area.  I know it's all relative, and it is the city, so nothing is going to be as safe as I'm used to being/feeling in a small town, but does anyone have thoughts on this?

If you're the type of person who worries a lot about safety, don't live in Dorchester, just because other people will scare you with their tales of it, even though they've probably never stepped foot in any of the neighborhoods.

Ashmont is gentrifying. It's more than fine. Especially right by the T station.

Boston is as other east coast cities are: most of the language and fear-driven hype around certain neighborhoods is racially coded language about Black folks or immigrants.  Most victims of violence/crime are the people born and raised in these neighborhoods, not a random person walking down the street.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:05 AM, Heather1011 said:

Looking for moving advice...

I'm probably going to get a Harvard apartment with a lease start date of July 9.  My current lease in NYC is up July 1, so I have 8 days of "homelessness."  I'm going to move to Boston with no furniture and as little "stuff" as possible (just my clothes etc), so can basically make this move with my mom's car and my friend's car.  I have a friend who I can probably sublet/crash a room with for a week, so I'm not worried about where I'll SLEEP, so much as when/how to move all my crap.

Are there zip cars available to rent for a day to just lug my stuff from my friend's Cambridge apartment to my new place?  Should I try to *not* move to Cambridge until my start date, and just find a place in New York for a week so that I can just move my stuff once to Boston (but still have to move it once in NY?)  I'm so confused and bad at the logistical aspects of moving.  Grrrr.  I'm thinking my best bet is to have my friends/family help me drive my stuff up to a sublet on July, and then rent a car for the day of my move-in and make a few trips back and forth to bring my stuff there....

Any insight on similar experiences with weird dates would be helpful!

U-Haul often has some good prices if you're staying in the area for the day.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:26 PM, theophany said:

You will be paying likely a lot more in Back Bay/South End than in Dorchester. To the point where I think it's probably not comparable, especially on a grad school budget.

It's the difference of paying 660 to 1200 per month but I can walk to campus in 10 minutes from the place in back/south end/

• 2 weeks later...

@ac40507 if you have the money to pay almost double the rent in Back Bay/SE, then yes do that, especially if you can walk to campus in 10 minutes.  Dorchester isn't that bad in general, but if you can afford the $1200 in rent there isn't really much of a question in my mind.  If you are trying to save your money in exchange for a less convenient commute and a slightly gritter, less manicured neighborhood, then Dorchester, depending on where it is would probably be ok (it is a pretty large area so I can't speak for the entire thing obviously).

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone, me and my roommate are moving to boston in september, to Alston. We're graduate student at Boston U

we have a few standard questions for everyone, and would love some help!

1. should we get renters insurance?

2. whats the best internet provider to go with? we want high speeds (thats what were used to at home, so that would be really great)

3. whats the best cell phone company? or one that gives student discounts?

4. does  anyone know if BU gives student discounts on things such as phone plans and bank accounts or anything like that?

5. whats the friendliest bank for international students from canada that have zero american credit history?

Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I see a lot of good tips here, and me and my wife have gotten good advice on housing so far. That said, I'm still a bit confused, and would like a straight answer about the following if possible: what areas should I completely avoid/are unsafe?

I hear sections of Chelsea, Roxbury, and Dorchester are a no go for that, but I'd like to get more input on it.

I'm going to BU, by the way, so I'm trying to stay within a 1 hr commute time in public transportation.

Thanks!

On June 8, 2016 at 11:33 AM, OverCaffeinated said:

hi everyone, me and my roommate are moving to boston in september, to Alston. We're graduate student at Boston U

we have a few standard questions for everyone, and would love some help!

1. should we get renters insurance?

2. whats the best internet provider to go with? we want high speeds (thats what were used to at home, so that would be really great)

3. whats the best cell phone company? or one that gives student discounts?

4. does  anyone know if BU gives student discounts on things such as phone plans and bank accounts or anything like that?

5. whats the friendliest bank for international students from canada that have zero american credit history?

Thank you all!

Granted, I moved from Boston four years ago, but I did do undergrad there and have lived right on Allston/Brighton border and in JP.  

Sorry to hear that you are moving to Allston, a literal student ghetto.  Even if you were lucky enough to find a building that only rents to grad students/professionals, you will hear loud partying most nights.  And the D train (Green Line) is the absolute worst.  But, to answer your questions:

1.  No, not necessary.  

2.  RCN, unless you Verizon FiOS.  

3.  A lot of student discounts in the area, although I never heard of anything specifically about cell phones.  I went through T-Mo.   

4.  I dunno, but probably not.  

5.  My guess would be Citizen Bank or a credit union.  

Bonus tip to living in Allston:  a boat ton of free stuff will be had on curbs, in alleyways, and other places where people typically leave trash.  This is coming from students vacating their apartments and ditching their stuff so they don't have to move it back home.  I scored a bunch of stuff this way (lamps, desks, tables, etc.) but be warned:  Allston has a huge problem with bed bugs.  Also, "pickers" cruise by in trucks looking for the best stuff to sell (at flea markets, yard sales, etc.).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2016 at 4:20 PM, Crucial BBQ said:

Granted, I moved from Boston four years ago, but I did do undergrad there and have lived right on Allston/Brighton border and in JP.  

Sorry to hear that you are moving to Allston, a literal student ghetto.  Even if you were lucky enough to find a building that only rents to grad students/professionals, you will hear loud partying most nights.  And the D train (Green Line) is the absolute worst.  But, to answer your questions:

1.  No, not necessary.  

2.  RCN, unless you Verizon FiOS.  

3.  A lot of student discounts in the area, although I never heard of anything specifically about cell phones.  I went through T-Mo.   

4.  I dunno, but probably not.  

5.  My guess would be Citizen Bank or a credit union.  

Bonus tip to living in Allston:  a boat ton of free stuff will be had on curbs, in alleyways, and other places where people typically leave trash.  This is coming from students vacating their apartments and ditching their stuff so they don't have to move it back home.  I scored a bunch of stuff this way (lamps, desks, tables, etc.) but be warned:  Allston has a huge problem with bed bugs.  Also, "pickers" cruise by in trucks looking for the best stuff to sell (at flea markets, yard sales, etc.).  

thanks, this is super helpful!

• 6 months later...

I'm incredibly intimidated by Boston-area housing, and I've been getting rather mixed answers on this: when should I be looking for a September 1 lease for Cambridge/Sommerville? I did undergrad on the Boston side of the river and the market is absolutely ravenous. But things seem to move slower north of the Charles. I've done a bit of looking (Craigslist, Harvard off campus housing website) and there doesn't seem to be much available around here yet. I'd like to wait  some so I can definitively sort out my roommates without panic.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:04 PM, pterosaur said:

when should I be looking for a September 1 lease for Cambridge/Sommerville?

Now. But wait until late June to panic.

Edited by telkanuru

On 2/2/2017 at 9:04 PM, pterosaur said:

I'm incredibly intimidated by Boston-area housing, and I've been getting rather mixed answers on this: when should I be looking for a September 1 lease for Cambridge/Sommerville? I did undergrad on the Boston side of the river and the market is absolutely ravenous. But things seem to move slower north of the Charles. I've done a bit of looking (Craigslist, Harvard off campus housing website) and there doesn't seem to be much available around here yet. I'd like to wait  some so I can definitively sort out my roommates without panic.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:19 AM, telkanuru said:

Now. But wait until late June to panic.

I would disagree with looking now. In my experience of living in Cambridge for 6 years you're not really going to find the good deals until late March/April. If you're looking for June 1 start you likely want to look soon but there are A LOT of super great deals out there with private landlords that are used to renting to grad student types at grad student prices. I got a steal of a place right in the middle of Central Square (through Craigslist) and I didn't even begin looking until mid April. My landlord doesn't release any of the apartments in our building for public listings until June - all of our leases start 9/1. You'll also find that if your program has a list of all the grad students and you get added to it sometime before you start, you can find a lot of good deals posted there also from people moving around. 

Would definitely advise that when you do find a place that you like though to move as fast as possible with making the decision - it's still a bit of a jungle. Some people use realtors, I've heard mixed experiences but if you have the money it does certainly take the pressure off of looking and there are things that you'll find only through a realtor and not on craigslist. I've had many friends who have signed as late as mid-July to excellent pads though so I wouldn't sweat it, house hunt however you like, there's a lot of space.  

Hi everyone, I have a question about food budgeting in Cambridge (more specifically for Harvard). From seeing how difficult good & cheap housing is to come by, I'm wondering if there are any ways to structure my food budget to maximize a humanities grad stipend. I'm also very eager for more advice on this because I have some dietary restrictions (nothing I can't work around when I eat out, though) and would prefer to be able to cook often.

Is it safe to assume that housing, HU or non-HU, located near decent affordable grocery stores, would be even more crazy expensive and competitive? Is there a a particular neighborhood you would recommend for me so that I can live near a grocer and still get to campus easily? I don't know how to ride a bike, so this might limit my options even more.

Also, re: Meal plans --- would anyone recommend a new student to go ahead and sign up for a graduate meal plan or no? I'm tempted by the convenience of Cronkhite & Dudley dining, but I wonder how the food is, and if there are any alternative ways of budgeting for food.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

For groceries, Market Basket is definitely the place to go - better prices and better produce than the big chains (and they have a reputation of treating their workers well). I bike to the one in Sommerville from the Harvard campus and it's pretty convenient. If you're cool with walking, you can also get one of those two-wheeled carts to get your groceries home. You can do that for a mile walk. That said, if you're within distance of a Market Basket, there are plenty of affordable grocery stores around (Star Market, Shaw's, and Stop & Shop are the main ones). You're not likely to run into a food desert, and if you cook yourself it's definitely affordable. When I was in undergrad living off campus, I fed myself for under $30/week from Stop & Shop and ate well.

As for the graduate student meal plan, I'd say don't get it unless you're required to. (I'm living in the grad student dorms, so it's mandatory for me.) The food is decent, but it gets repetitive after awhile and ends up breaking down to be quite expensive per meal. You could bring your lunch to campus, or eat at some of the places around Harvard Square, the food trucks, or the law school. (Or you could buy your food at Dudley/Cronkhite without a meal plan.)

Edited by pterosaur

On 2/13/2017 at 1:07 PM, pterosaur said:

For groceries, Market Basket is definitely the place to go - better prices and better produce than the big chains (and they have a reputation of treating their workers well). I bike to the one in Sommerville from the Harvard campus and it's pretty convenient. If you're cool with walking, you can also get one of those two-wheeled carts to get your groceries home. You can do that for a mile walk. That said, if you're within distance of a Market Basket, there are plenty of affordable grocery stores around (Star Market, Shaw's, and Stop & Shop are the main ones). You're not likely to run into a food desert, and if you cook yourself it's definitely affordable. When I was in undergrad living off campus, I fed myself for under $30/week from Stop & Shop and ate well.

As for the graduate student meal plan, I'd say don't get it unless you're required to. (I'm living in the grad student dorms, so it's mandatory for me.) The food is decent, but it gets repetitive after awhile and ends up breaking down to be quite expensive per meal. You could bring your lunch to campus, or eat at some of the places around Harvard Square, the food trucks, or the law school. (Or you could buy your food at Dudley/Cronkhite without a meal plan.)

This is amazing. Amazing, I tell you! :D Thank you so much for clarifying everything I was confused about.

Out of curiosity, does it ever make sense for grad students to rent in one of Boston's suburbs and commute in?  Is that generally too expensive/inconvenient most of the time, or do most posters just prefer to live right in the city?  Thanks!

On 2/8/2017 at 5:50 AM, day_manderly said:

I'm going to be attending Boston College this Fall, and I'd like to live very close to BC (it's in Chestnut Hill) and away from big city life. What would you guys suggest?

Hey, everyone. I will be attending BC in the fall also, and I'm coming from a college town in FL so I'm not really sure how one looks for housing in the real world. I'm likely going to have to book a bunch of viewings for the same week when I can visit. When should I plan on visiting to view apartments? When will the best deals become available for an August move in? I plan on living in the Brighton/Allston area

Edited by HaleyWantstobeaTherapist

On 2/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, chrisblack said:

Out of curiosity, does it ever make sense for grad students to rent in one of Boston's suburbs and commute in?  Is that generally too expensive/inconvenient most of the time, or do most posters just prefer to live right in the city?  Thanks!

Lots of people do this, especially those with additional sources of income (i.e. partners). Lots of the cheap housing in the cities of Boston and Brookline themselves (less so in Cambridge and Somerville) are filled almost entirely with undergraduates, which makes living somewhat further out more appealing. If you don't need to be on campus every day, that's definitely more appealing. That said, if you're looking at a suburb where commuting in requires a car (rather than public transit), you'll end up having to deal with traffic, scant parking near campuses, likely parking tickets (which is how a lot of cities get revenue), potentially paying a lot for parking at home, high property tax on automobiles, insurance, gas, etc.

Hi there!

I've recently been accepted to Brandeis for a PhD program and was wondering if anyone had advice about Brandeis and/or the Waltham area.  I'm currently finishing up my Master's at UMass in Amherst, so I know a fair bit about Massachusetts generally, but very little about the Waltham area.  

What are some good bars/restaurants?  What is the best way to find affordable living (I'll be living with my husband)?  How good is public transport?

Thanks!