Boston & Cambridge, MA

On 4/3/2018 at 5:14 PM, kaaat said:

I have a few questions about Allston. Please forgive my ignorance, I've been reading different comments about it's crime rates/safety concerns. Also, I'm a female in my mid twenties, I don't "go out" to clubs, bars, etc. or stay out late past midnight.

Is it a reasonably safe area for a woman to live alone? How far is the commute to Harvard campus? Is public transportation to Harvard from Allston a hassle or reasonable to navigate? Are there any parts of the city that should be avoided? 

Yup, like the other poster said, just fine. It's a student area and thus can be full of parties and noisier haha. Roxbury is the area I'd avoid as a solo women myself.

I am moving to Boston and I bought my car 6 month ago :( but I couldn't get to some pogroms and BC is my only chance, I really love to  keep my car to use it at least weekends. any recommendation about parking or anything related to the car?

I am searching for apartment now, coming from North Carolina with from a private apartment, have no idea if I should search for room or a studio. till now all studio that I was searching was $1500, what will be the approximate final cost that I have to pay for a studio?

Thanks a lot for advice! 

On 4/5/2018 at 1:48 PM, Alexg said:

I am moving to Boston and I bought my car 6 month ago :( but I couldn't get to some pogroms and BC is my only chance, I really love to  keep my car to use it at least weekends. any recommendation about parking or anything related to the car?

I am searching for apartment now, coming from North Carolina with from a private apartment, have no idea if I should search for room or a studio. till now all studio that I was searching was $1500, what will be the approximate final cost that I have to pay for a studio?

Thanks a lot for advice! 

If you are looking to live in the area around BC, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding somewhere with street parking.  You'll need to pay to register your car, but the cost is something like $50. 

I'd say $1450-1550 for a studio is about what you should expect (if you're looking near BC/Allston/Brighton) - if you want something cheaper than that, you will need to share a larger space with roommates. Most places that you are renting from the landlord directly (a studio), you will need 3 months rent up front (first/last/security), though some will only need 2 months. If you're moving into a room in a group apartment, things are usually a bit more flexible.

Hope that helps!

On 3/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, kaaat said:

Can you walk to Harvard Square from Somerville and would you recommend living there? I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. I'm married, it's one of various reasons why I would prefer to have my privacy. But just to compare, in general, how much cheaper is a room mate arrangement as opposed to a small studio?

If you're looking for cheaper housing, it may be worthwhile to look in Allston.  It's about the same distance from Harvard (2-3 miles), and is considerably cheaper than Cambridge. You should be able to find a studio for $1500 in Allston; in Cambridge, I'd say it'll be closer to $1800. As for sharing space, even splitting a two bedroom could bring your monthly cost down below $1000 in Allston.

I'll be attending Harvard as a Ph.D. student in the fall, and I'm a bit lost when it comes to finding apartments. I know that most of the leases start on September 1st, but my program requires us to be in the area for orientation on August 23rd. Because of a job commitment this summer, I won't be able to move until around August 15th, and I'd rather not pay for all of August if possible (though I could if necessary). I also have seen that August 1st leases aren't nearly as common as September 1st ones, which would make me even more hesitant to do that since I don't want to be living somewhere for a year just because it was one of the few okay options available.

Any advice? Would trying to do Airbnb or something from August 15th - September 1st even be worth it? Would that even work out well in terms of actually moving (I plan on buying most of my stuff other than clothes once I'm there since I don't have all that much non-clothing stuff to begin with).

Hi everyone! I'll be starting a PhD at Harvard in the Fall and I have some questions about university housing. I've decided to go for Harvard housing for my first year, since I'm an international student, so I'd have to search for flats and flatmates online, and don't really have enough money right now for the initial costs of moving (deposit + first + last month's rent + broker's fee?).

I was wondering above all if anyone could elaborate on the difference between HUH and GSAS housing. Pros and cons? Which would you recommend? 

Thanks in advance!

HUH is a lot like renting a normal apartment, but your landlord is Harvard. It's market rate, so it's still pretty pricey. If you're going for anything other than a 1 bedroom/studio you'd also have to worry about finding your own flatmates (who have to all be Harvard affiliates).

GSAS housing is dorms for graduate students. You put down your preferences and get assigned a single room. You have communal bathrooms, access to a kitchen, and a meal plan at Dudley House. You don't get the same independence of living on your own, but it's really convenient. I lived in the dorms my first year, also coming from overseas. It was also conveniently located across the street from my department. I'm definitely glad I went for that option my first year because it took a lot of stress out of my arrival, and it was also a nice way to connect with people and make friends.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:15 PM, pterosaur said:

HUH is a lot like renting a normal apartment, but your landlord is Harvard. It's market rate, so it's still pretty pricey. If you're going for anything other than a 1 bedroom/studio you'd also have to worry about finding your own flatmates (who have to all be Harvard affiliates).

GSAS housing is dorms for graduate students. You put down your preferences and get assigned a single room. You have communal bathrooms, access to a kitchen, and a meal plan at Dudley House. You don't get the same independence of living on your own, but it's really convenient. I lived in the dorms my first year, also coming from overseas. It was also conveniently located across the street from my department. I'm definitely glad I went for that option my first year because it took a lot of stress out of my arrival, and it was also a nice way to connect with people and make friends.

May I ask if you paid rent monthly or had to pay the whole term upfront? 

On 4/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, citrullination said:

I'll be attending Harvard as a Ph.D. student in the fall, and I'm a bit lost when it comes to finding apartments. I know that most of the leases start on September 1st, but my program requires us to be in the area for orientation on August 23rd. Because of a job commitment this summer, I won't be able to move until around August 15th, and I'd rather not pay for all of August if possible (though I could if necessary). I also have seen that August 1st leases aren't nearly as common as September 1st ones, which would make me even more hesitant to do that since I don't want to be living somewhere for a year just because it was one of the few okay options available.

Any advice? Would trying to do Airbnb or something from August 15th - September 1st even be worth it? Would that even work out well in terms of actually moving (I plan on buying most of my stuff other than clothes once I'm there since I don't have all that much non-clothing stuff to begin with).

Hey there-I would recommend getting an Airbnb/hotel room/crashing on a friend's couch for the time that you are here in August.  I ran into the same issue when I moved here last year.  Since there are so many universities in the Boston area the vast majority of apartments are on a September 1st start date.  If you can find a place to sublease for those couple weeks that's another option?

As for moving-I'm not sure how far away you're coming from, but when I moved here from Texas last year I brought only my essentials (i.e. toiletries, some clothes I needed for orientation/downtime) for the time I was there in August, and then arranged for all my other stuff to arrive at my apartment on 9/1.  Sounds like you won't have a lot of nonclothing to deal with so that may be easier for you than it was for me!

On 4/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, citrullination said:

I would recommend subletting from someone for a few weeks if you can. I was in the same situation and sublet for August. It may be harder to find something for just a few weeks, but you might have some luck on Craigslist or the Harvard off campus housing list, which often has sublets. https://www.harvardhousingoffcampus.com/

On 4/24/2018 at 3:01 AM, AccountHist said:

May I ask if you paid rent monthly or had to pay the whole term upfront? 

For GSAS dorms, I think you pay the whole semester up front, plus you also have to pay for a meal plan, which I think is a couple grand. For HUH apartments, you pay month to month.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 11:29 PM, Butterfly_effect said:

For GSAS dorms, I think you pay the whole semester up front, plus you also have to pay for a meal plan, which I think is a couple grand. For HUH apartments, you pay month to month.

Any approximate number for average monthly prices for GSAS?

23 hours ago, datik said:

Any approximate number for average monthly prices for GSAS?

You pay it up front, like room and board for college. See below:

image.thumb.png.a98746c2e2e3df09bfbc324639e20b6c.png 

Last year, the meal plan (mandatory if you're in the dorms) cost $2,379 for the academic year. Also know that you have to move out during the summer and these rates do not reflect the cost of additional summer housing. 

For Harvard Housing (apartments) the cost varies quite a bit depending on property. You will have to live with roommates. The cost for a one bedroom is usually around $2,200 per month to 2,400 per month. Two bedrooms are 2,400 to 2,800 (the range is actually even wider and depends a lot on the apartment building and amenities. These costs do include all utilities and internet though. 

• 2 months later...

Does anybody here know if Harvard students have access to any sort of gym facilities? If so, is there an extra fee to pay?

In unrelated notes, any affordable gym in the cambridge/brighton/boston area? I just want to lift some weights to stay fit in the cold winter months.

2 minutes ago, datik said:

Does anybody here know if Harvard students have access to any sort of gym facilities? If so, is there an extra fee to pay?

In unrelated notes, any affordable gym in the cambridge/brighton/boston area? I just want to lift some weights to stay fit in the cold winter months.

A quick search revealed this: https://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/membership/graduate

It appears that fees depend on which school you attend. The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences offer you free admission to the Rec. HKS students have a fee ranging from $175 per semester to $525 for the entire year.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 9:22 AM, datik said:

There's also Cambridge YMCA -- $37/mo for full time students.

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all, 

This is my first post on the forum so I hope I'm doing this right ! 

I'm from France and truly want to Apply to the University of Brandeis (their PhD programm in history seems pretty cool!). 

I've heard that the stipend they give to their PhD student is $16.000. Does anyone know how expensive life is around the area? Is this amount of money enough to live comfortably in the area? 

All help is appreciated, as I am not from the U.S and won't be able to come visit anytime soon ! :) 

6 hours ago, Justine83 said:

Hi y'all, 

This is my first post on the forum so I hope I'm doing this right ! 

I'm from France and truly want to Apply to the University of Brandeis (their PhD programm in history seems pretty cool!). 

I've heard that the stipend they give to their PhD student is $16.000. Does anyone know how expensive life is around the area? Is this amount of money enough to live comfortably in the area? 

All help is appreciated, as I am not from the U.S and won't be able to come visit anytime soon ! :)

Hi there!! Lucky for you, Brandeis is JUST outside of Boston enough that the housing/cost of living in the area are conveniently cheaper. A "good" deal in Boston is probably paying about 900 or 1000 a month individually for a shared space- but in Waltham that gets knocked down maybe to 750? Beautiful campus, and Boston is wonderful!

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, dontor said:

I just got into Boston University and was wondering how the dating life is there? Friends have said online dating is way more active there.

Boston is a huge college town. You have Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, Tufts, Emerson College, MIT, Suffolk, UMASS-Boston, and probably others that I'm missing. Statistically speaking, you're probably pretty good. 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, PsyDGrad90 said:

Boston is a huge college town. You have Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, Tufts, Emerson College, MIT, Suffolk, UMASS-Boston, and probably others that I'm missing. Statistically speaking, you're probably pretty good. 

Thanks, let's just say i've always lived in cities with not the best bar/dating/online dating scenes and I'm hoping that will change in grad. Although, still waiting to hear from other universities and will decide after visit weekends.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Moods said:

Anyone with advice on BU? It would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi there! I went to BU for undergrad (graduated 2017) and I am still in the area. DM with any questions. :) I have a bunch of friends who graduated from engineering too, so I could offer a perspective on that!