Schools to apply to with a 3.33 gpa

If you've finished undergrad, take night classes in the field that interests you-- once you're sure that you're ready to take full advantage.

Otherwise, do everything you can to make sure that 2 or 3 professors actually think well of your work and remember who you are.  That might mean office hours, research, more-than-minimum creativity on projects, etc.

11 minutes ago, Concordia said:

If you've finished undergrad, take night classes in the field that interests you-- once you're sure that you're ready to take full advantage.

Otherwise, do everything you can to make sure that 2 or 3 professors actually think well of your work and remember who you are.  That might mean office hours, research, more-than-minimum creativity on projects, etc.

I'm already doing a few independent studies for teachers (aka working directly with them on their research) and those will be the teachers I ask for LOR, and no I haven't finished my undergrad yet but I am entering my senior year of undergrad. 

I had a 3.3 when I applied. I was told that my GRE needed to be strong to counter it (I ended up getting 158V, 149Q scores, so my math wasn't good at all). However, I have been out of school a while so I had great LoRs and work experience. It sounds like you are setting yourself up to have great letters. I would focus on the GRE and make sure your personal statement is excellent (make sure to have it edited by may people and keep rewriting it!) I was accepted to 4 schools and wait listed at 2, so you can do it!!!

1 hour ago, plume said:

I had a 3.3 when I applied. I was told that my GRE needed to be strong to counter it (I ended up getting 158V, 149Q scores, so my math wasn't good at all). However, I have been out of school a while so I had great LoRs and work experience. It sounds like you are setting yourself up to have great letters. I would focus on the GRE and make sure your personal statement is excellent (make sure to have it edited by may people and keep rewriting it!) I was accepted to 4 schools and wait listed at 2, so you can do it!!!

Do you mind me asking what schools you applied to and where you got accepted? I'm working at two different clinics with clients that are also enrolled on campus but they have disabilities and fall in to ODS or Office of Disabilities Services. I'm a student mentor- therapist and do mainly social or behavioral therapy with them. 

@AVSchilling1995 Sure! I got into Emerson College, University of Redlands (off of their wait list), Northern Arizona University, and University of the Pacific. I was wait listed at MGH and Western Carolina University, and not offered a spot from their wait lists. Rejected outright from Appalachian State, CU Boulder, New Mexico State, and University of Arizona.

I applied out-of-field so I could only apply to schools that offered 3-year programs. My list would have probably looked a lot different if I had the prerequisites, meaning there are many more schools that might be good for you to apply to!

I also want to point out that I was rejected from a couple of the "less-competitive" programs and accepted at others that are considered more competitive. Remember to pick schools that are a good fit for your experience and interests (while also being reasonable)—many of them may see that and decide you are a good fit for them as well! 

Edited by plume

And just to give you an idea: I am 28 and worked in unrelated fields immediately after college. I have a degree in English. I worked as a language therapist (kind of a mix between SLPA and behavioral therapist) in an excellent clinic for 2 years. I worked under professionals who are published and well-known in the field and they wrote my letters. It sounds like your experience is great!

Edited by plume

7 minutes ago, plume said:

And just to give you an idea: I am 28 and worked in unrelated fields immediately after college. I have a degree in English. I worked as a language therapist (kind of a mix between SLPA and behavioral therapist) in an excellent clinic for 2 years. I worked under professionals who are published and well-known in the field and they wrote my letters. It sounds like your experience is great!

Applying to grad school is just stressing me out! Wanted to make sure I wasn't completely out of my mind thinking it might be possible! Sorry for all the questions! But thank you!!!

8 hours ago, AVSchilling1995 said:

Applying to grad school is just stressing me out! Wanted to make sure I wasn't completely out of my mind thinking it might be possible! Sorry for all the questions! But thank you!!!

No problem! It is a terribly stressful process and I was on grad cafe all the time when I was applying. But you will make it through!

@plume great suggestions! I agree with everything that was said.

@AVSchilling1995I had the same gpa and graduated with an undergraduate degree in Communication Disorders. I volunteered as a preschool assistant working with a special ed teacher an a integrated preschool. It was a great experience with different professions and I also got to observe the slp there! I also improved my gre slightly but honestly like what was said look at edfind and find the range of schools that fit your gpa. After 3 times applying for grad school I was accepted into 2 grad schools and waitlisted at 9 others! You can do this! Don't give up! ?

22 hours ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

@AVSchilling1995I had the same gpa and graduated with an undergraduate degree in Communication Disorders. I volunteered as a preschool assistant working with a special ed teacher an a integrated preschool. It was a great experience with different professions and I also got to observe the slp there! I also improved my gre slightly but honestly like what was said look at edfind and find the range of schools that fit your gpa. After 3 times applying for grad school I was accepted into 2 grad schools and waitlisted at 9 others! You can do this! Don't give up! ?

Thank you so much!!

On 7/15/2017 at 6:12 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Do you mind me asking what schools you got in to! Thank you in advance! 

Hey! I had a 3.4, and got in the first time I applied. Here's the thing: you need a killer GRE, because the school has to look at something numeric and justify letting you in. You also need to apply SMART. Don't apply to things like Iowa and Vanderbilt, and don't apply to just local places. Look all over, and apply to places that genuinely fit your strengths. Look for places that hold interviews, so you can show your stuff. It's possible, but it's going to be harder for you than for people with 4.0s. Accept that, and start to work incredibly hard for this. Good luck!

On 7/18/2017 at 10:59 AM, AVSchilling1995 said:

Do you mind me asking what schools you got in to! Thank you in advance! 

Sure! I got into Sacred Heart University and Governors State University. I also had an interview at Samford University but was not accepted. I had interviews at all three schools and two out of the three I was accepted into. So I feel if you have interview you have a good chance and are able to shine in person!

On 7/22/2017 at 2:39 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Sure! I got into Sacred Heart University and Governors State University. I also had an interview at Samford University but was not accepted. I had interviews at all three schools and two out of the three I was accepted into. So I feel if you have interview you have a good chance and are able to shine in person!

Thank you so much!!