How Do I Improve my Vocabulary?

TheIndustrialClinician

Question

1 answer to this question

If you are studying for a specific test such as the GRE, there are many sites that contain the most common "high-difficulty" words in these tests. Its a good habit to try to memorize a couple each day and then review how many you kept at the end of the week. There are flashcards apps that allow you to quickly study.

If you want to improve your vocabulary without any specific purpose in mind, the answer is simple and you've probably heard it before: You have to read a lot of good stuff. This can be literature, but it could also be non-fiction. Just make sure they have advanced vocabulary. I read a lot and I love learning new words. That's why I always quickly look the word up in my cellphone when I read one that I don't know. If I was purposedly learning vocab for a test, I would also write down the new words.

For those looking for reading material with advanced vocabulary, I always recommend The Economist. It has short, interesting, well researched and well written articles, with plenty of "GRE words".