Mid-year entry in Australia a bad idea?

Parhai

Question

I've heard that applying mid year to Australian unis (for the semester that starts in late July, early August) is a bad idea, both for your chances of getting in and for getting a scholarship. Is there any truth to this?

1 answer to this question

I assume you're talking about programs like masters by coursework, or some other coursework-based higher degree program. A lot of coursework-based degrees just don't do mid-year admissions. Given the cohort sizes are often already so small, it can be a waste of time and money to run the same classes in both semesters (and the s2 classes will have the s1 classes as pre-requisite). Regarding funding, the scholarship application timelines follow our academic year - i.e. most scholarships for the year will have been granted at the beginning of semester 1 in late Feb/early March. There's possibly some mid-year funding available out there, likely some international-specific scholarship.