taking grad level courses at undergrad level

Hi everyone, I am a senior student and I going to take some graduate level courses. I know the letter grade form those courses can help me to apply other grad shools, but I do not know if those courses can be transferred to my 'true' grad shool after I admitted.

Thank you

Depends, but I wouldn't count on it. Transferring courses is hard at the graduate level- most schools want the coursework to be largely taken where you get your degree. 

Pretty unlikely. But if you took a grad course in X and it is a required class at your actual grad school, then you might be able to replace it with an elective grad class that could be more relevant to you. However, also keep in mind that many grad classes cover a specific area in very high depth. Therefore, the same class taught by a different professor (even at the same school) can be very different and you can learn a lot from repeating classes too. I took an astronomical instrumentation class three times at three different schools and learned new things every time (each time it was taught, the emphasis was on different types of astronomy). 

I seriously doubt it. And you wouldn't want that either. 

Undergraduate and graduate work is completely different, even in the same course. As a grad student, you want to squeeze all the opportunities you get to build for your comps, your prospectus, and your dissertation so bringing in coursework you did as an undergrad is simply not good decision. 

As undergrad and grad students we are different scholars. I graduated pretty late, and I can tell you I'm not the same person when I defended my senior thesis than when I applied to grad school three months later, than when I got accepted three months later, than when I started, six months later. You want opportunities to grow as a scholar, and seminars/grad courses are the first of those. 

The worst thing that could happen when you get grad school is that you have to retake this exact same course and... ace it. ;)  

On 7/13/2017 at 8:13 PM, Gloriaaa said:

Hi everyone, I am a senior student and I going to take some graduate level courses. I know the letter grade form those courses can help me to apply other grad shools, but I do not know if those courses can be transferred to my 'true' grad shool after I admitted.

Thank you

As others mentioned - transferring grad courses can be problematic. One thing to look into is to see if your current undergrad school has a 4+1 type of program in your area, where you take grad level courses in your senior year and then transfer into their grad program for an additional year.