No publications - any chance of admittance to top graduate Chemistry programs?

rwoodward

The schools I am currently most interested in are Princeton, Harvard, UIUC, Caltech, MIT and the like,

I'm in organic chemistry and have lots of research experience but unfortunately I have been on projects which have not led to publication for one reason or another.

I got to a top ranked undergrad institution and i'm in the top 15% - does this help at all?

I would like to hear if anyone has applied and got into this tier of schools without publications, or from students who are at these schools and know people who got in with no publications.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by dorkstep

Of course you can get in.  Most people don't put out publications as an undergrad.  All that matters is:  1.  Your GPA.  2.  Your GRE scores.  3.  The degree to which your research advisor will vouch for you.  If you want to get into Harvard, Caltech, or MIT, all three of those things better be great.  For the 2nd tier, being relatively good is good enough.  

Lastly, you have a year left of school, so absolutely try to get something published in the next year, since it will look good on your CV for fellowship applications.  

2 hours ago, atcg said:

Of course you can get in.  Most people don't put out publications as an undergrad.  All that matters is:  1.  Your GPA.  2.  Your GRE scores.  3.  The degree to which your research advisor will vouch for you.  If you want to get into Harvard, Caltech, or MIT, all three of those things better be great.  For the 2nd tier, being relatively good is good enough.  

Lastly, you have a year left of school, so absolutely try to get something published in the next year, since it will look good on your CV for fellowship applications.  

Thank you - do you mind if I ask why you think this? (are you a current student or have you applied in the past?)

• 2 weeks later...

I got into most top programs last cycle with no publications, a mediocre GPA, solid rec letters, and a decent research background.  It's absolutely possible if you play the game properly.

For reference, I'd estimate that the overwhelming majority of grad students in my cohort (inorganic division) don't have a first author paper, and maybe like 1/2~2/3 had a second or third authorship when they applied?  The standards are higher for international students, but I don't really feel like I'm the only person here with no publications.  Adcoms realize that undergrad research is often a crapshoot.

On 26/07/2017 at 5:43 AM, phenol said:

I got into most top programs last cycle with no publications, a mediocre GPA, solid rec letters, and a decent research background.  It's absolutely possible if you play the game properly.

For reference, I'd estimate that the overwhelming majority of grad students in my cohort (inorganic division) don't have a first author paper, and maybe like 1/2~2/3 had a second or third authorship when they applied?  The standards are higher for international students, but I don't really feel like I'm the only person here with no publications.  Adcoms realize that undergrad research is often a crapshoot.

Thanks for your reply! Interesting to know that a good chunk do not have any publications.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I am applying right now for the first time and my GRE score is pretty low. Any of you think I might have a chance of getting accepted? Any feedback would greatly appreciated! 

Undergrad Institution: Small Private Institution 

Major(s): Chemistry/ Specialization: Biochemistry GPA in Major: 3.99

Type of Student: Domestic, female

GRE Scores: (taking it tomorrow, these are from practices) Q: 159/ V: 148/ W: 3-3.5 

Research Experience:

-          4 yrs of undergraduate research experience in two organic & inorganic projects; 2 manuscripts submitted

-          4months full-time chemistry research internship at Pacific Northwest National Lab; 1 publication 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Few

President's award for outstanding senior (only one presented)

Awarded as outstanding junior (only one presented)

ACS outstanding senior

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chem tutor for 3.5 yrs, chem outreach experiences, TA

Special Bonus Points: Numerous poster presentations at ACS meetings & symposiums. Research seminar with faculty as judges. Strong letters of rec from research mentors. Received pretty good email responses from faculties at schools I'm applying. 

Applying to: Chem program Brown, Boston U, Boston College. I've narrowed down to these 3 that most interested me and are close to home. Should I apply to more schools? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2017 at 10:39 PM, Chembaleada said:

Hi!

I am applying right now for the first time and my GRE score is pretty low. Any of you think I might have a chance of getting accepted? Any feedback would greatly appreciated! 

Undergrad Institution: Small Private Institution 

Major(s): Chemistry/ Specialization: Biochemistry GPA in Major: 3.99

Type of Student: Domestic, female

GRE Scores: (taking it tomorrow, these are from practices) Q: 159/ V: 148/ W: 3-3.5 

Research Experience:

-          4 yrs of undergraduate research experience in two organic & inorganic projects; 2 manuscripts submitted

-          4months full-time chemistry research internship at Pacific Northwest National Lab; 1 publication 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Few

President's award for outstanding senior (only one presented)

Awarded as outstanding junior (only one presented)

ACS outstanding senior

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chem tutor for 3.5 yrs, chem outreach experiences, TA

Special Bonus Points: Numerous poster presentations at ACS meetings & symposiums. Research seminar with faculty as judges. Strong letters of rec from research mentors. Received pretty good email responses from faculties at schools I'm applying. 

Applying to: Chem program Brown, Boston U, Boston College. I've narrowed down to these 3 that most interested me and are close to home. Should I apply to more schools? 

From my experience, a strong interest research is more important than some exam not that is not significant to your research in any way.  You have a strong background for those schools, but I would definitely apply for 8-12 schools total. There are plenty of great schools in that area, but also keep an open mind about location.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2017 at 8:07 PM, Chemmie said:

From my experience, a strong interest research is more important than some exam not that is not significant to your research in any way.  You have a strong background for those schools, but I would definitely apply for 8-12 schools total. There are plenty of great schools in that area, but also keep an open mind about location.

Thank you for your feedback! I only applied to 4 schools total and today received acceptance notification from one of them! 

• 3 months later...

Other side of the coin, here.

My daughter is accepted into Purdue, University of Cincinnati (accepted into the Honors program), Miami University, Denison, and UIUC (but it's crazy expensive out of state).

She's studious, has some social anxiety (reserved), high gpa in high school.  She loves to learn, to read, and said that she IS going to graduate school.  So, I want to compare undergrad colleges on that basis.

So, Grades matter most?  ***Does it matter much where you go to school (school reputation)?***

Is Research One important ?  or is that a hindrance (I hear complaints of professors who are unavailable because so busy with research).   If that's a major issue, we could even consider Denison, though she wants a big school (she is tired of her small school).  

But the place she personally liked was Purdue.  

It does have a reputation as a great school.  But - Tough graders / grade deflation?  Also - one guy told me - outdated equipment.

3 hours ago, EsDad said:

Other side of the coin, here.

My daughter is accepted into Purdue, University of Cincinnati (accepted into the Honors program), Miami University, Denison, and UIUC (but it's crazy expensive out of state).

She's studious, has some social anxiety (reserved), high gpa in high school.  She loves to learn, to read, and said that she IS going to graduate school.  So, I want to compare undergrad colleges on that basis.

So, Grades matter most?  ***Does it matter much where you go to school (school reputation)?***

Is Research One important ?  or is that a hindrance (I hear complaints of professors who are unavailable because so busy with research).   If that's a major issue, we could even consider Denison, though she wants a big school (she is tired of her small school).  

But the place she personally liked was Purdue.  

It does have a reputation as a great school.  But - Tough graders / grade deflation?  Also - one guy told me - outdated equipment.

One: it's hard to know if you want to go to grad school if you've never done research before (you might hate it). Research is definitely the most important, but school reputation does help (on visits, big departments were over-represented). If you work for a big name, their letter of recommendation means more. Out of the schools she got into, I would say UIUC has the best chemistry department (by some mile, tbh).

10 minutes ago, rwoodward said:

UIUC is too expensive.  I didn't mean to mislead....$58k.  It's basically off the table.

So, " school reputation does help (on visits, big departments were over-represented). If you work for a big name, their letter of recommendation means more."

--> where do UCiny and Purdue rate? (if you know)

Also...it's so irritating that Purdue has a budget squeeze and they're hard graders...but not enough to totally ding them....yet my daughter somehow liked the campus and people....there doesn't seem to be any slam dunk in the uc vs purdue decision

You make a good point about research - perhaps the co-opping at UC would be good for my daughter... ??

On 4/27/2018 at 7:13 AM, EsDad said:

UIUC is too expensive.  I didn't mean to mislead....$58k.  It's basically off the table.

So, " school reputation does help (on visits, big departments were over-represented). If you work for a big name, their letter of recommendation means more."

--> where do UCiny and Purdue rate? (if you know)

Also...it's so irritating that Purdue has a budget squeeze and they're hard graders...but not enough to totally ding them....yet my daughter somehow liked the campus and people....there doesn't seem to be any slam dunk in the uc vs purdue decision

You make a good point about research - perhaps the co-opping at UC would be good for my daughter... ??

I would say Purdue is more highly respected (but i'm not from the US, so my view is somewhat twisted)