Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
huxlb

Chances of getting into statistics phd programs?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering what my chances would be of getting into a top 25 statistics phd program? as well as a top 50? Below are my stats:

Undergrad Institution: Large public university
Major(s): Statistics
Minor(s): 
GPA: 3.82
Type of Student: Female, White, Domestic
GRE General Test: 149V, 157Q, 3.5AW
Programs Applying: PhD in Statistics

Research Experience: One semester of statistics research at home university, two summers of statistics research at national lab. Currently have 5 published journal/conference papers. Have presented at about 4-5 conferences. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List, Omicron Delta Kappa Honors Society, Pi Mu Epsilon Honors Society, Mu Sigma Rho Honors Society, Honors College

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Have worked as both TA and RA for home university and intern for national lab two summers in a row

Letters of Recommendation: One is from my advisor at national lab (wrote multiple papers together) and other two are from professors I had for my entire junior year (assuming will be good)

Relevant Courser Work: 
Math and Stat Courses: Combinatorics (A), Mathematical Reasoning (A), Statistical Computing (A), Mathematical Computing (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (B), Probability Theory (B), Advanced Calculus (B), Multivariate Calculus (B), Nonparametric Statistics (A), Regression (A), Statistical Methods I (A), Statistical Methods II (A), Mathematical Statistics I (A), Mathematical Statistics II (A), Linear Models (A), Statistical Inference (A), Applied Statistical Computing using R (A), Time Series Analysis (A), Real Analysis (A)

Computing Skills: R, MatLab, SAS, SQL, SPSS, LaTex, VBA, Python, C

Applying to Where: 
  • Purdue
  • NC State
  • UC Davis
  • UC Berkeley
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of South Carolina
  • Columbia
  • Univ of Illnois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Rutgers
  • University of Kentucky
  • UNC (INSTORE)
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Pittsburgh

(assuming good sop)

Also, any advice/words of wisdom would be great! Thank you!

Posted (edited)

i think your profile looks solid aside from the low gre scores, definitely would advise studying more and retaking

Edited by edward130603

16 minutes ago, edward130603 said:

i think your profile looks solid aside from the low gre scores, definitely would advise studying more and retaking

Agree completely. Those GRE scores are a real anomaly given the rest of your profile.

@edward130603 @cyberwulf so you'd say i'd have a better chance with what ranking schools with higher gre scores? and if gre scores don't get any better, what ranking schools could i shoot for then?

Posted (edited)

1. With a strong GRE score, I think pretty good shot at top 15 schools (e.g. ncsu/ mich). Not sure about berkeley (I didn't apply there).

2. No idea, haven't seen any profiles like that. From my experience as a standardized test tutor, students who spend ~3 mo. seriously studying and take ~8 prac tests have all gotten at least 90 percentile (more often 95+ percentile scores). 

Edited by edward130603

Yeah, hard to chance a profile with one outlying component like that. Your results would probably be very heterogeneous; some better schools like UNC, Purdue, and NC State might not be too bothered by it while other lower-ranked ones could consider it a deal-breaker. I suspect Berkeley and Michigan will be pretty tough nuts to crack even with some improvement in your GRE score.