UCLA MSW Fall 2018 Applicant Cohort

Hello!

This thread is for prospective students of the Luskin School of Public Affairs Master of Social Welfare (MSW) Fall 2018 cohort. Applicants may begin to work on their application in September, so let's be prepared and support eachother through this process. I'm going to ask that we always include our stats when we report an admission decision. Even if the decision is not what you wanted, please share your stats at that time and your admission status. All of us are nervous about this and the best thing to reduce that is to be well informed. What I really hope this group can do is to remember to post their stats when they are given the admission decision, too often people just get excited and say "I got in" then bail. Here is what I suggest as stats to share, and perhaps this can be a good way to get started with introductions for the Fall 18 applicants here on Grad Cafe by filling out the stats you presently can. Best wishes to each of you, let's get through this together!

- BackNSchool83 :D

Stats

Cumulative Transferrable GPA:

Cumulative Transferrable GPA last 90 quarter or 60 semester:

GRE: did you take it? Would you like to share your score?

Undergraduate Major(s) and Minor(s):

Additional degrees, certifications, awards:

Honors:

Clubs/Societies:

Work Experience: (description and how much time)

Intern Experience: (description and how much time)

Volunteer Experience: (description and how much time)

Strength of Personal Statement: 1-10 (was it reviewed?)

Languages you speak:

Age, Gender, Ethnicity: (sometimes this matters to admissions)

Additional:

Your intended area of focus: mental health, child welfare, public policy etc

Your story: Anything else you would like to share, or things you feel may be considered about your journey in life by the admissions committee.

Edited by BackNSchool83

Stats

Cumulative Transferable GPA last 90 quarter or 60 semester: 4.0

GRE: Not taking it

Undergraduate Major(s) and Minor(s): Psychology Major Criminology Minor

Additional degrees, certifications, awards: AA Psychology AS Addiction Studies

Honors: Phi Theta Kappa, Psi Beta, Psi Chi

Clubs/Societies: Psi Chi

Work Experience: Addiction Treatment Facility Support Staff 6 months FT (2013). Current, Addiction Treatment Center Counselor P/T 16 hr/wk ongoing

Intern Experience: AOD Facility Counselor Intern 250 hours, Foster Agency Case Manager 100 hrs

Volunteer Experience: Homeless Shelter Group Facilitator 50 hrs

Strength of Personal Statement: N/A

Languages you speak: English

Age, Gender, Ethnicity: 35, Male, White

Additional: N/A

Your intended area of focus: mental health, plans to go into clinical work in the AODand mental health field.

Your story: In recovery, clean and sober over 3 years

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because applications will be opening around September 28th, with the first info session on Saturday the 16th.

Anyone applying to UCLA for the fall 18 cohort, lets stick together and support each other through the process.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello BackNSchool83,

I have been browsing this website for updates regarding the 2018 cycle but as you have stated, I feel like the forums are a bit quiet this year. I applied to six schools and only heard back from one so far (USC). I have my fingers crossed for UCLA! 

What is a bump app?

thank you!

10 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

A bump just means I'm commenting to bump this thread to the top of the heap so people see it :) what I'd USC say?

Oh, haha thank you for clarifying! 

I was accepted to USC for Fall 2017 but deferred until Fall 2018 (had to submit a new personal statement & resume) thinking I would attend if I didn't get in anywhere else. But I decided that the cost of tuition would not be worth it for me in the long run. I am so anxious for letters! 

I started a facebook page for anyone interested in the UC or CSU MSW programs. The purpose of the page is to provide another outlet for those of us anxiously awaiting news about admission to talk, and support each other. In addition, this page is for anyone who is interested in these MSW programs at any stage of the process from just being curious about the process or wanting to learn more, to those who have graduated and beyond. The group is open to all, so please join and say hi!

The group is called : UC and CSU MSW Applicant Resource and Support Group

• 2 weeks later...

@Angiebangie344 I received an email from Tiffany at 11:30 am on 2/22, and the UCLA graduate division sent the decision letter to my portal the next day. I originally applied on Oct 2nd, but because my data was lost as the school switched over to a different application software, I had to resubmit my information. This was a whole huge nightmare where I was told that I was not impacted by the graduate division switching to a new application platform, and was told over the phone that all my stuff was in order and I was good to go, but that wasn't true. I just happened to check out my application on December 11th and noticed that it was asking me to send letters of recommendation requests and as far as I knew my recommenders submitted everything on like October 10th, so yeah everything had been lost, all my data, all the documents I uploaded, and I had to get my recommenders to resubmit their LORs and stuff. I also brought this up with Tiffany and the social welfare department. So technically I re-applied on Dec 12th and my recommenders had everything in by the next day I believe. The cut off for the fellowship was Dec 15th so I just barely made it in time for that. I think I may have been one of the very first applicants since I applied and submitted everything the day after applications opened, and I think they did me a favor and notified me earlier because of that, and because I had called asking when we might hear back. I was told that people would start hearing back this week so, tomorrow would be the day I expect to start hearing more acceptances. Last year they notified those who were pre fellowship deadline first.

19 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

@Angiebangie344 I received an email from Tiffany at 11:30 am on 2/22, and the UCLA graduate division sent the decision letter to my portal the next day. I originally applied on Oct 2nd, but because my data was lost as the school switched over to a different application software, I had to resubmit my information. This was a whole huge nightmare where I was told that I was not impacted by the graduate division switching to a new application platform, and was told over the phone that all my stuff was in order and I was good to go, but that wasn't true. I just happened to check out my application on December 11th and noticed that it was asking me to send letters of recommendation requests and as far as I knew my recommenders submitted everything on like October 10th, so yeah everything had been lost, all my data, all the documents I uploaded, and I had to get my recommenders to resubmit their LORs and stuff. I also brought this up with Tiffany and the social welfare department. So technically I re-applied on Dec 12th and my recommenders had everything in by the next day I believe. The cut off for the fellowship was Dec 15th so I just barely made it in time for that. I think I may have been one of the very first applicants since I applied and submitted everything the day after applications opened, and I think they did me a favor and notified me earlier because of that, and because I had called asking when we might hear back. I was told that people would start hearing back this week so, tomorrow would be the day I expect to start hearing more acceptances. Last year they notified those who were pre fellowship deadline first.

I applied on 12/15 and am hoping to hear back soon! But, it makes me nervous to know that they have sent out acceptance letters and I have not heard yet. I recently got into USC w/ a scholarship and I want to hear back from UCLA so I can make a decision. Fingers crossed some of us find out by today. 

Congratulations @CHVH !!! Do you plan to attend? If so we have a facebook group for this cohort called UCLA MSW 2020 please join, and also consider joining the facebook group for applicants of all CSU and UC MSW programs called UC and CSU MSW Applicant Resource and Support Group. Congrats again, Go Bruins !!!

50 minutes ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Congratulations @CHVH !!! Do you plan to attend? If so we have a facebook group for this cohort called UCLA MSW 2020 please join, and also consider joining the facebook group for applicants of all CSU and UC MSW programs called UC and CSU MSW Applicant Resource and Support Group. Congrats again, Go Bruins !!!

Thank you, @BackNSchool83! Congrats to you too, btw!! I'm definitely leaning heavily towards UCLA, but am still waiting to hear back from Berkeley. I plan to work in LA after grad school, though, so I think UCLA makes more sense than going up north.

UCB I think is number 1 in the state for MSW, would be a tough call. For me I like the vibe of UCLA, it's a well respected institution academically, yet rather than an elite feel it seems more cool, just a different energy to it... that's just how I see it though, I hope you get into both so you can pick what feels like the best fit for your future. congrats !!!

Well you can research their respective rankings, US News says they tie for 12th place nationally. These are vastly different in terms of size and cost. UCLA has a cohort of around 120 whereas I read USC has the biggest MSW program in the country, though many of those students may be online, an option not available at UCLA. Cost, USC about 55k per year, UCLA about 23k per year. Do you care about location? I mean there are lots of factors to consider. Personally I'm all for UCLA obviously, I think it's a good program, the school has a lot of credibility and is tough to get into so it's respectable on a resume and you can't buy your way in, and it's affiliated with the larger UC system of which I'm already a part.

Edited by BackNSchool83

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone else received an acceptance or denial email yet? I applied to the Fellowship/ early deadline and have not heard from the University yet. For those of you who have received an acceptance/denial email, please let us know the time in which you submitted the application and when did you receive the acceptance/denial email.  I am starting to get a little concern since I have not heard from them. Based on last year's application forum, I believe they send denials later and acceptances first :( Thank you very much in advance!