George brown College Vs University of Toronto Mississauga

shawth94

Ok so I'm in a situation right now and I really need some input/advice.
 Long story short, I messed up big time at UofT, was suspended for a year due to a low GPA, took some time off to work and reevaluate. I explored a bunch of different career options and finally decided to go to GBC for a Honours Bachelors of Commerce in Financial Services. Now my previous background was in science/psychology, Psychology I liked and did well in, Chemistry and calculus destroyed me. My issue now is that my parents are apprehensive about me going to a college because they believe that a college is going to give me problems in the future ( Grad programs and hiring people will look at it like a community college degree and not a REAL uni degree)  They would rather I go back to UTM ( and have a bachelor in psychology with a 2.5 GPA at most) and be unable to do anything and go back to my retail job after getting an expensive piece of paper from 'the best university in Canada'. I do understand where they are coming from and I'm sure it's not an easy road, but I am going to work extremely hard, I've done my research and I've spoken to professors at GBC and UofT. Does it really matter where I go to do my Bachelors? My only option at UofT is a psych major with 2 minors, I cannot transfer to another university, I cannot study anything else at UTM either. After completing the degree at GBC, I plan on working at a bank as an FSR and getting my CFA exams done. Maybe even applying for a masters program. 
That is the plan, for now, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

I do understand your parents' concerns but I think your practical GBC option is the solution in this situation. 

Now, we do need to recognize that the name value between UT and GBC is... I don't need to explain right? But in terms of practicality and job prospects, commerce degree with CFA will be better. Another option would be doing BA in psyc or economics rather than doing BSc at UT. See if you can transfer and start fresh (at some institutions they allow you to start with "clean" GPA when you transfer to a different program). 

Ultimately, your situation has to do with your motivation/study habits. Since you did not do well in calc, I am not sure if commerce would be the best choice. Management math course are not crazy like what you went through in sciences but what you are considering is still a field (degree/profession) that deals with numbers.

Lastly, Canadian grad schools look at the last 2 years or the final year of your undergrad so you can still apply to graduate programs if you think that you can really work hard and get above 3.3 for the rest of your degree. UTM has a Master of Innovation program which is a management program for science graduates. York, UBC, and McGill also  have Master of Management programs if you want to go into management/finance after you finish your psyc degree. 

Edited by COGSCI