Clinical Psych Hopeful GRE Question

I am taking a year off school currently in order to gain some more research experience, but I am planning on beginning my studying for the GRE general test soon. I hope to get accepted into one of the clinical programs here in Canada! My GPA is ~3.87, I have decent research and work experience, but I HATE standardized testing lol... Two years ago, I went to a clinical psychologist in order to find out if I had any LD's, and I was diagnosed with: ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, OCD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Regardless as to whether or not you (or me) believe that I was over-diagnosed (which I may well have been), I do undeniably at least have some learning disability(ies), and I was wondering if my documentation (which I have) for these disorders would be enough to get me accommodations on the GRE? I really want to nail it, and I feel as though it is quite possible that accommodations could help someone like me who operates a little more slowly than many others out there! 

Does anyone have any experience applying for accommodations, know anyone who has, or have any input on whether or not I would perhaps be able to get them, or whether it is even worth bothering? 

Thanks everyone!!

I know of a person who had been diagnosed with ADHD in childhood and had documentation of it and was allowed 8 hours instead of the normal 4 for the general GRE. I'm not sure how you go about getting the accommodations set in place but I'd probably just call your local testing center and see what they say. Good luck!

In case you haven't taken a look at this, check out the section on requesting for accommodations on the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/disabilities/

The main thing is that this needs to be done and submitted PRIOR to registering for a test date. I've been told anecdotally that the process does require some paperwork and waiting. Best to do it earlier when you begin to sit down and plan your schedule for studying and taking the test.

Best of luck!

Absolutely you can. I received double time after sending my accommodations in. My biggest suggestion is do this ASAP. It is a long process (it took me almost two months) and I actually had to postpone my applications for a year because I didn't apply soon enough. The accommodations will be honored for at least a year so don't worry about requesting accommodations too soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to reiterate the importance of sending in the documentation as early as possible. If my memory serves me right, it took more than six weeks for me to receive a decision regarding accommodations. Granted, ETS was updating their website at the time which caused a lot of distress, but I still think it's prudent to submit everything well in advance of the test date. In addition, I'd suggest remaining cautiously optimistic regarding the approval of the requested accommodations. I thought my condition was severe enough to justify a double time accommodation, but apparently ETS thought otherwise (I only received 1.5 time). That said, it's good preparation to take a practice test or two with the standard time allotment--at least until you've secured the additional time.

Good luck!