Lack of Research Experience: Worth Applying to PhD Programs?

I'm entering my second year of my MPH at a top 5 program and I’m planning to apply for PhD admission for fall 2018. My biggest worry is that my lack of research experience is going to be a glaring problem with my application. If there’s anyone out there who wouldn’t mind looking at my stats and weighing in on whether or not I have any shot at all, it’d be much appreciated! Ideally, I’d like to aim for a top 20 school and have chosen several that closely match my research interests (health communications and substance misuse) 

UGPA (Honours): 3.00

Post-bacc GPA (at a top 5 school): 4.00

MPH GPA (at a top 5 school): 3.84

GRE: 165 V / 155 Q / 5 AW (I'm taking this again in September in order to raise my quant score)

Experience: I’ve done several internships in the areas of health communications and community health. I also spent a year working with drug users as a harm reduction worker. Starting in September, I’ll be TAing for 3 classes in the area of public health interventions and communications. 

Research: I completed an UG research thesis, which involved independent qualitative research and I completed a short research internship at a pharma company. I’m also starting a year long GRA position - directly related to my own research interests - in September, which will involve a lot of independent work.

Do I have any shot at being accepted? Or is it worth waiting until next year and finding a full time research job after I graduate from my MPH program next May?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2017 at 1:12 PM, spearmint202 said:

I'm entering my second year of my MPH at a top 5 program and I’m planning to apply for PhD admission for fall 2018. My biggest worry is that my lack of research experience is going to be a glaring problem with my application. If there’s anyone out there who wouldn’t mind looking at my stats and weighing in on whether or not I have any shot at all, it’d be much appreciated! Ideally, I’d like to aim for a top 20 school and have chosen several that closely match my research interests (health communications and substance misuse) 

UGPA (Honours): 3.00

Post-bacc GPA (at a top 5 school): 4.00

MPH GPA (at a top 5 school): 3.84

GRE: 165 V / 155 Q / 5 AW (I'm taking this again in September in order to raise my quant score)

Experience: I’ve done several internships in the areas of health communications and community health. I also spent a year working with drug users as a harm reduction worker. Starting in September, I’ll be TAing for 3 classes in the area of public health interventions and communications. 

Research: I completed an UG research thesis, which involved independent qualitative research and I completed a short research internship at a pharma company. I’m also starting a year long GRA position - directly related to my own research interests - in September, which will involve a lot of independent work.

Do I have any shot at being accepted? Or is it worth waiting until next year and finding a full time research job after I graduate from my MPH program next May?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am finising up my MPH in December and have the same problem.  I've visited two different schools and spoke to some of their students.  Depending onthe program, extensive research experience isn't an automatic denial.  You should contact programs you're interested in. 

Wow, now I'm really worried because I don't have any research experience to speak of... . Haven't really worked in the field (got MS a couple years ago, was in different field before that). I've tried applying for a bunch of research assistant jobs, but haven't gotten them (I assume I'm both under- and over-qualified...). But I've realized that I want to do research, hence the PhD.

M.S. in Health Science, focusing on Community Health (But we didn't have to do a regular thesis for that, just research proposal)

Undergrad GPA: 3.67

Grad GPA: 3.91

GRE: Verbal: 167  Quant: 160  Writing: 4.5

Think I have some good letters (my grad school advisor in particular sounded very enthusiastic about writing the letter)

Also did internship while in grad school in Maternal and Child Health Bureau at major city's health department

The two main programs I'm applying to are at Hopkins and UMD in Maternal and Child Health (well, the Hopkins one has a slightly different name, but I'm applying for that track within the program). Plus Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health at GW.

Any shot of getting in?

Edited by MarylandGirl

21 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Wow, now I'm really worried because I don't have any research experience to speak of... . Haven't really worked in the field (got MS a couple years ago, was in different field before that). I've tried applying for a bunch of research assistant jobs, but haven't gotten them (I assume I'm both under- and over-qualified...). But I've realized that I want to do research, hence the PhD.

M.S. in Health Science, focusing on Community Health (But we didn't have to do a regular thesis for that, just research proposal)

Undergrad GPA: 3.67

Grad GPA: 3.91

GRE: Verbal: 167  Quant: 160  Writing: 4.5

Think I have some good letters (my grad school advisor in particular sounded very enthusiastic about writing the letter)

Also did internship while in grad school in Maternal and Child Health Bureau at major city's health department

The two main programs I'm applying to are at Hopkins and UMD in Maternal and Child Health (well, the Hopkins one has a slightly different name, but I'm applying for that track within the program). Plus Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health at GW.

Any shot of getting in?

I'm applying to UMD in maternal and Child Health as well!  Did you happen to attend their Open House this past Friday? I was there but they put in with the Behavioral and Community Health Cohort and I wasn't able to spend any time with their Maternal Child Health Program.  I would love to talk with you further if you'd like!  I haven't looked at GW, maybe I should (I got denied for my masters there).  

If you did not attend their open house at umd, we met with a panel of PhD students at all different levels, and let me tell you, lack of research experience was not a problem.  I specifically ask each of them (about 6-7 students) what their background was before getting accepted, and there was a wide variety of masters degrees, an international student with no public health or research background at all (was on her way to be  lawyer), someone who didn't even have a masters degree, straight from undegrad.  

When I visited University of South Florida, one of their students was a dietitian prior.  I think as long as you know why you want to pursue a PhD and explain that in your SOP, that's all that matters.  Every school I spoke to has said that the SOP is the most important thing.   

4 hours ago, hccgrl said:

I'm applying to UMD in maternal and Child Health as well!  Did you happen to attend their Open House this past Friday? I was there but they put in with the Behavioral and Community Health Cohort and I wasn't able to spend any time with their Maternal Child Health Program.  I would love to talk with you further if you'd like!  I haven't looked at GW, maybe I should (I got denied for my masters there).  

If you did not attend their open house at umd, we met with a panel of PhD students at all different levels, and let me tell you, lack of research experience was not a problem.  I specifically ask each of them (about 6-7 students) what their background was before getting accepted, and there was a wide variety of masters degrees, an international student with no public health or research background at all (was on her way to be  lawyer), someone who didn't even have a masters degree, straight from undegrad.  

When I visited University of South Florida, one of their students was a dietitian prior.  I think as long as you know why you want to pursue a PhD and explain that in your SOP, that's all that matters.  Every school I spoke to has said that the SOP is the most important thing.   

Hi! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the open house Friday. That's too bad you weren't able to actually meet with people from the MCH program. Thanks for sharing your experience there! I was told by the e-mail contact for the MCH program that they only accept 2-3 applicants per year--which sounds quite competitive. That was an e-mail from Friday afternoon (I was clarifying conflicting application due dates on their site vs. SOPHAS), and I responded to ask how many applicants they usually get, but haven't heard back yet.

GW doesn't have an actual MCH program, but I was intrigued by their Social and Behavioral Health one. I don't think I've noticed anyone else on this forum applying to any GW program--not sure if maybe it's a newer program? Or just less prestigious? (Which could be in my favor!)

Your comments both make me feel better and also make me more nervous about my SOP... I'm still working on crafting that and will need to submit soon!

Delayed response, given you posted back in July, but...I think it's going to be hit or miss depending on the caliber of the program and that of the other students applying. Obviously, having research experience gives a leg up because it shows someone is truly interested and that they are at least moderately capable of handling research work.

You'll just need to justify within your statement of purpose why, without research experience, you are still a great match for their program and that they should want you. Focus on any experience even slightly relatable to research work, or pieces of past jobs that are similar to what you would be doing in your research.

Also, you say you're in your second year of your MPH right now. Use this time to get some research experience...any at all. Maybe your mentor or one of your professors is working on some research right now? See if you can get involved, even minimally. Perhaps you'll be included on the groundwork side, or helping with writing an abstract.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2017 at 7:51 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Hi! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the open house Friday. That's too bad you weren't able to actually meet with people from the MCH program. Thanks for sharing your experience there! I was told by the e-mail contact for the MCH program that they only accept 2-3 applicants per year--which sounds quite competitive. That was an e-mail from Friday afternoon (I was clarifying conflicting application due dates on their site vs. SOPHAS), and I responded to ask how many applicants they usually get, but haven't heard back yet.

GW doesn't have an actual MCH program, but I was intrigued by their Social and Behavioral Health one. I don't think I've noticed anyone else on this forum applying to any GW program--not sure if maybe it's a newer program? Or just less prestigious? (Which could be in my favor!)

Your comments both make me feel better and also make me more nervous about my SOP... I'm still working on crafting that and will need to submit soon!

Hey did you apply for umd-mch program? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:36 AM, hccgrl said:

Hey did you apply for umd-mch program? 

Hi, yes, I ended up applying to that (submitted by the 11/15 early admission deadline) and the Hopkins Population, Family, and Reproductive Health program (submitted that on deadline of 12/1). Did you end up applying? Hear anything? I was told for UMd that rejections would go out earlier than requests for interviews, so I'm hoping I don't hear anything too soon... I think they said interviews tend to be late January.

On 12/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, MarylandGirl said:

Hi, yes, I ended up applying to that (submitted by the 11/15 early admission deadline) and the Hopkins Population, Family, and Reproductive Health program (submitted that on deadline of 12/1). Did you end up applying? Hear anything? I was told for UMd that rejections would go out earlier than requests for interviews, so I'm hoping I don't hear anything too soon... I think they said interviews tend to be late January.

Yes! I applied! I'm so nervous. Thank you for the tidbit! I do hope waiting this long is good news. 

Iwas able to get in contact with a faculty member I'm really interested in working with. She seemed very interested in my research and my interests. I was able to meet her and a few students in the program at APHA. It was great! I attended their 10th anniversary reception and met even more faculty in the department as well as the Dean (had a whole convo with him). It was a great time and I hope that made an impact. My GRE scores were horrible!!!! And my undergraduate GPA is atrocious (multiple community colleges and didn't know what I wanted to do). Since being admitted to a BSPH program and working in healthcare, I really changed my grades and graduated with a 3.66 from the institution and have gotten limited research experience (hence why I'm in this thread). Ill be completing  my MPH in January with a 3.8 so I hope  that really boosts my chances. Most of my experience is in healthcare though (8+ years). 

How awesome would it be if we both are accepted!?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, hccgrl said:

Yes! I applied! I'm so nervous. Thank you for the tidbit! I do hope waiting this long is good news. 

Iwas able to get in contact with a faculty member I'm really interested in working with. She seemed very interested in my research and my interests. I was able to meet her and a few students in the program at APHA. It was great! I attended their 10th anniversary reception and met even more faculty in the department as well as the Dean (had a whole convo with him). It was a great time and I hope that made an impact. My GRE scores were horrible!!!! And my undergraduate GPA is atrocious (multiple community colleges and didn't know what I wanted to do). Since being admitted to a BSPH program and working in healthcare, I really changed my grades and graduated with a 3.66 from the institution and have gotten limited research experience (hence why I'm in this thread). Ill be completing  my MPH in January with a 3.8 so I hope  that really boosts my chances. Most of my experience is in healthcare though (8+ years). 

How awesome would it be if we both are accepted!?

That's great that you were able to meet with the faculty member!

That would be great if we were both accepted! I feel you probably have a better shot that me because at least you do have some research experience! I guess it all depends on what they're looking for... Let me know if you hear anything from them. I've been nervously checking my e-mail today because I saw that someone got rejected from the program on about this same Friday last year...

I think you would need to speak to what experiences you do have in conducting research to speak to your desire in pursuing a PhD to go into a life of research. However, Public Health isn't purely research focused, and many academics go on to work in the field and apply research to the real world. If that is your intention, then say so outright, but speak to how a PhD would help you get to that next step. Always better to address the 'elephant in the room' in your SOP, but then pivot it in a way that still shows your other strengths. Personally, I have 7 years of research experience but a large majority in non-communicable diseases. My passion now is on zoonotic spillover, and so I used my SOP to say while I may have not directly conducted formal research around zoonotic spillover, what my years of experience have taught me is that I do NOT want to continue researching in the field of non-communicable diseases. Sorry for my belated two cents :)

On 1/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, MarylandGirl said:

That's great that you were able to meet with the faculty member!

That would be great if we were both accepted! I feel you probably have a better shot that me because at least you do have some research experience! I guess it all depends on what they're looking for... Let me know if you hear anything from them. I've been nervously checking my e-mail today because I saw that someone got rejected from the program on about this same Friday last year...

Idk, I feel like the MCH track is harder to get in to than the community health one. I have a lot of experience in community (but lack of research) but wanted to take a risk and go for what I'm more interested in. 

I definitely will let you know if I hear anything!