Clinical Psychology Training Abroad?

Hey everyone, 

As someone who as always wanted to study abroad (but did not for my undergrad), I am wondering if it is possible to train abroad to become a clinical psychologists only to return to North America (either Canada or the USA) upon the completion of graduate schooling? I know a few people who did this for their medical schooling, but is it ever done by clinical psychologists? 

Thanks you guys :) 

I can only speak as a US student but Its generally seen as a bad idea as there aren't many ways to authenticate the equivalency of foreign programs to the US based programs. Then its made more complicated by licensing requirements which vary from state to state and what setting you want to practice in. The better route would be to apply for a summer grant or something similar.

I think it might depend on whether you want clinical or research training abroad.  Research might be a little easier if you are already working with faculty who have international contacts or are open to establishing some.  Otherwise the study abroad department of your university could potentially connect you via their network of universities.

With clinical work you'd want to be sure that the assessment and therapy skills you acquire will be accepted by your program toward your degree, otherwise it may not be worthwhile.  Depending on the country you want to go to there might be post doc opportunities that will count toward getting a license in North America.