Hey all , 

I need someone who is familiar with DAAD scholarship :)

I need to know more about DAAD scholarship about the preliminary German courses  prior to the scholarship , is it funded ? when students take those courses ? I am asking these questions because I am working in a full-time job and I don't know whether I should consider quitting my job during the courses or not . One more question , Do I have to pass the preliminary courses in order to get the scholarship ? or if I was selected then I am selected and the german courses will have no  effect on my chances ?

Thanks all :)

Hi Sarah,

Depending on your level of German, you may not have anywhere near enough time to work a full-time job plus study German through the DAAD. Most programs and courses through the DAAD are a full-time job (between 35 and 40 hours a week) worth of studying, memorizing, and practicing. However, depending on the scholarship you receive, the DAAD may fund you to move to Germany and study German before your coursework begins. As for the passing criteria, it again depends (I know I'm a broken record) on the scholarship, language of your program (English or German), level of program (BA, MA, PhD), etc. I recommend reaching out to the DAAD and asking them these questions. They will be able to help you more and will understand the intricacies of your scholarship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 7:40 PM, Tigla said:

Hi Sarah,

Depending on your level of German, you may not have anywhere near enough time to work a full-time job plus study German through the DAAD. Most programs and courses through the DAAD are a full-time job (between 35 and 40 hours a week) worth of studying, memorizing, and practicing. However, depending on the scholarship you receive, the DAAD may fund you to move to Germany and study German before your coursework begins. As for the passing criteria, it again depends (I know I'm a broken record) on the scholarship, language of your program (English or German), level of program (BA, MA, PhD), etc. I recommend reaching out to the DAAD and asking them these questions. They will be able to help you more and will understand the intricacies of your scholarship.

Thank you so much for your answer :)