Professors Studying Romantic/Interpersonal Relationships

Trillian8

Hello everyone! I'm applying to graduate school this fall and so far my list consists of four masters programs and two PhD programs. I'm looking to add one or two more PhD programs to my list and I was hoping some of you could help me! I'm interested in interpersonal relationships, online dating, and romantic relationships in adults with autism spectrum disorder. Can anyone point me in the direction of any schools/researchers in that area? Thanks! 

Human Development and Family Studies Program at UT Austin. Lisa Neff and Tim Loving both look at romantic, interpersonal relationships. I worked in Dr. Neff's lab for a summer, and she was fantastic. My advisor in my undergrad is a psychology professor that graduate from that program (so don't think you'll be stuck in HDFS if you apply to one of those). Although they don't directly work in the realm of ASD, I bet your interest would align well enough that you could work on a dissertation in the area under one of them.

On 7/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, mav160 said:

Human Development and Family Studies Program at UT Austin. Lisa Neff and Tim Loving both look at romantic, interpersonal relationships. I worked in Dr. Neff's lab for a summer, and she was fantastic. My advisor in my undergrad is a psychology professor that graduate from that program (so don't think you'll be stuck in HDFS if you apply to one of those). Although they don't directly work in the realm of ASD, I bet your interest would align well enough that you could work on a dissertation in the area under one of them.

Ok, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 3:22 PM, Trillian8 said:

interpersonal relationships, online dating, and romantic relationships

Interpersonal relationships is a gigantic research area. You could check out the website for International Association for Relationships Research--they have a directory of some members--and look for pubs in their (several) journals. Some bigger names to look for: Eli Finkel, Paul Eastwick, Harry Reis, Joanne Wood, Shelly Gable, Sandra Murray, Brooke Feeney, Nickola Overall, Omri Gillath, Emily Impett, Ben Karney, James McNulty, Geoff McDonald, Mario Mikulincer, David Sbarra, Jeff Simpson, John Lydon, Ed Lemay, Margaret Clark..... those are mostly off the top of my head as someone outside that area.

18 hours ago, lewin said:

Interpersonal relationships is a gigantic research area. You could check out the website for International Association for Relationships Research--they have a directory of some members--and look for pubs in their (several) journals. Some bigger names to look for: Eli Finkel, Paul Eastwick, Harry Reis, Joanne Wood, Shelly Gable, Sandra Murray, Brooke Feeney, Nickola Overall, Omri Gillath, Emily Impett, Ben Karney, James McNulty, Geoff McDonald, Mario Mikulincer, David Sbarra, Jeff Simpson, John Lydon, Ed Lemay, Margaret Clark..... those are mostly off the top of my head as someone outside that area.

Thank you so much! I actually worked in Brooke Feeney's lab all four years of undergrad!

On 8/15/2017 at 10:53 AM, Trillian8 said:

Thank you so much! I actually worked in Brooke Feeney's lab all four years of undergrad!

If if you want to stay in the city, also check out Amanda Forest's lab at Pitt. She's junior relative to the other people I listed but, I think, an up-and-comer.

Edited by lewin

• 1 month later...

POIs-  for autism and interpersonal relationships- Liz Laugeson or related collegaues at UCLA

non autism- NC state university, Rupert Nacoste, much of his focus is on race and he is pretty amazing

Edited by Jannaguilfoyle