Fall 2018 Counseling Psych (PhD/Masters)

aaustin

Hi all!

I know there's a general Fall 2018 thread, but I wanted to make a counseling specific one (since there's fewer of us).

I'm only applying to one program (I know) - but my potential POI is in the exact geographic and subject area I'm interested in. Even doing some research that I've only dreamed about.

Plus, I'm a bit of a transition student. I was psych undergrad but haven't touched it since.

GRE: Average - 155+Q&V.
Undergrad GPA - 4.0
Grad GPA (Masters in CJ) - 4.0
also, graduating from law school this December (FINALLY) around top 25% of my class.

Too bad it took longer than first year to figure out I shouldn't have gone to law school.

Tell me about you! Schools? Research Interest? Worries?

Personally, I'm worried my JD will hurt my application, instead of hurt. My research interest is an intersection of psych, CJ, and law - but lawyers have a bad reputation.  :unsure:

Just curious but what program are you considering? I'm starting my PhD in counseling psych this fall and I applied to programs that had a correctional/forensic/law emphasis so I know the process to applying to that type of counseling program :)

2 hours ago, aaustin said:

Hi all!

I know there's a general Fall 2018 thread, but I wanted to make a counseling specific one (since there's fewer of us).

I'm only applying to one program (I know) - but my potential POI is in the exact geographic and subject area I'm interested in. Even doing some research that I've only dreamed about.

Plus, I'm a bit of a transition student. I was psych undergrad but haven't touched it since.

GRE: Average - 155+Q&V.
Undergrad GPA - 4.0
Grad GPA (Masters in CJ) - 4.0
also, graduating from law school this December (FINALLY) around top 25% of my class.

Too bad it took longer than first year to figure out I shouldn't have gone to law school.

Tell me about you! Schools? Research Interest? Worries?

Personally, I'm worried my JD will hurt my application, instead of hurt. My research interest is an intersection of psych, CJ, and law - but lawyers have a bad reputation.  :unsure:

2 hours ago, ellieotter said:

Just curious but what program are you considering? I'm starting my PhD in counseling psych this fall and I applied to programs that had a correctional/forensic/law emphasis so I know the process to applying to that type of counseling program :)

Ditto I also work with clinical/counseling psychologists in juvenile justice reseach (my  previous post doc supervisor was actually a lawyer who became a clinical psychologist and I applied to a few justice focused labs, getting into one of my top choices). I don't think you should worry about a JD hurting your chances and in fact it will probably be a strength. What may be tough is if you don't have enough research experience and applying to only 1 program. Even for the most competitive applicant limiting yourself geographically (especially if its a large city like Boston, Chicago, SF. or NY) and to such a small number is a VERY big gamble. By chance are you applying to NYU?

I wish you luck though! Feel free to PM if you have any questions about clinical/counseling programs or Juvenile justice labs!

Edited by 8BitJourney

Yeah @8BitJourney and I both went through similar app processes and I know can be super helpful if you have questions! I notice your location says the South which is my neck of the woods. If you're applying to programs in the South/Midwest then I probably have some insight. I didn't apply to many big city colleges (NY, SF) so 8Bit may have better advice for that area :) You definitely have some resources here if you need them. Good luck!

@ellieotter @8BitJourney -- Thanks!!! I'll be sure to PM if I have any questions. I'm applying to Southern Miss as a bit of a "why not" moment in my life. I applied to psych master's programs prior to ending up in law school and got super frustrated with the process and ended up not following through with 2 interviews after I got waitlisted on my first choice.

It was always my goal to end up in a correctional/forensic psych and JD was my fall back. Long story short on how I've decided to apply --- my JD pushed me into some work that really highlighted the issues I'd love to work on regarding correctional mh care (i.e., improving risk assessments, increasing the quality of care via alt methods like telepsych, targeted counseling for solitary, etc.) but I assumed I couldn't get into a psych program (b/c of research experience). After diving through and finding the options for correctional policy programs are pretty scarce, I spoke with a former prof who pointed out that I should be somewhat competitive for a PhD with a JD, sooo why not?

I'd apply to more, but law school sucks and monetarily that's not an option.

1 hour ago, aaustin said:

@ellieotter @8BitJourney -- Thanks!!! I'll be sure to PM if I have any questions. I'm applying to Southern Miss as a bit of a "why not" moment in my life. I applied to psych master's programs prior to ending up in law school and got super frustrated with the process and ended up not following through with 2 interviews after I got waitlisted on my first choice.

It was always my goal to end up in a correctional/forensic psych and JD was my fall back. Long story short on how I've decided to apply --- my JD pushed me into some work that really highlighted the issues I'd love to work on regarding correctional mh care (i.e., improving risk assessments, increasing the quality of care via alt methods like telepsych, targeted counseling for solitary, etc.) but I assumed I couldn't get into a psych program (b/c of research experience). After diving through and finding the options for correctional policy programs are pretty scarce, I spoke with a former prof who pointed out that I should be somewhat competitive for a PhD with a JD, sooo why not?

I'd apply to more, but law school sucks and monetarily that's not an option.

I know it's expensive but if this is really your dream expanding to 5 schools at least will be worth the extra $600. I don't come from money either but even counseling programs are getting more competitive.

I'm looking at both clinical and counseling programs.  For me it has to do more with the POI and the flexibility of the program than the specific label for the program.  My interest is trauma, particularly combat and MST, and the comorbidity of substance abuse with trauma. I'm finishing up my MEd in Counseling Psych right now, and I was in the same boat as you when I applied for that.  I was a career changer and location bound, so I only had one school to apply to and it took me several rounds of applications before I was accepted.  I'm no longer location bound since my husband has now finished his undergrad, so my list for doc programs is way too long and needing to get shortened from about 25 programs down to 10 or so. And making those cuts is hard because after spending so many years trying to get started on this path, I really want to get accepted for a doc program on this round rather than having to wait for successive rounds like last time.

I think I'm starting to get paranoid about my application - making sure I'm as competitive as possible.  I'm worrying about whether or not I should take the GRE again, whether or not my bad GRE Psych Subject test is going to shoot me in the foot for the three schools that received the score, worried that I won't have enough research experience to compete with others.  Am I the only one going down the rabbit hole of worrying about every part of the application?

@topsailpsych I'm definitely worried about every aspect, especially GRE and research. It's a long process. I don't envy you for having to comb through that many programs. It's so tough making such a serious decision and I wish you the best of luck in narrowing your list!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for making the thread @aaustin, I hope more people post! I love finding out more about what other people are interested in specializing in, etc. As for me, I'm interested in applying to MA programs in Counseling Psychology (with the hope of going on to a Counseling Psychology PhD.)

Reposting my info from another thread I started----

Strengths/qualifications:

Summa graduate of top 30 liberal arts college with 3.84 GPA (3.9 Psychology)

Dual major in Psychology and Health Policy

RA for two undergrad research labs, one in social psych and one in health psych for a total of 2 years research experience undergrad.

9 months clinical supervised experience in practicum undergrad.

TA three semesters.

Honors thesis in psychology (received high honors within department).

Research coordinator for 1 year (in middle of 2 year agreement) at a major research hospital.

Strong LORs from senior undergrad psychology profs as well as current PI

Worries:

Potentially poor quant scores on GRE - I haven't taken the test yet, but my SAT math was only average even though I scored 800 verbal. I'm guessing those results will be similar.

No poster presentations or publications

Somewhat older applicant - took gap year before college and would matriculate at 25 if accepted this cycle.

4 hours ago, Ppkitty said:

Thanks for making the thread @aaustin, I hope more people post! I love finding out more about what other people are interested in specializing in, etc. As for me, I'm interested in applying to MA programs in Counseling Psychology (with the hope of going on to a Counseling Psychology PhD.)

Reposting my info from another thread I started----

Strengths/qualifications:

Summa graduate of top 30 liberal arts college with 3.84 GPA (3.9 Psychology)

Dual major in Psychology and Health Policy

RA for two undergrad research labs, one in social psych and one in health psych for a total of 2 years research experience undergrad.

9 months clinical supervised experience in practicum undergrad.

TA three semesters.

Honors thesis in psychology (received high honors within department).

Research coordinator for 1 year (in middle of 2 year agreement) at a major research hospital.

Strong LORs from senior undergrad psychology profs as well as current PI

Worries:

Potentially poor quant scores on GRE - I haven't taken the test yet, but my SAT math was only average even though I scored 800 verbal. I'm guessing those results will be similar.

No poster presentations or publications

Somewhat older applicant - took gap year before college and would matriculate at 25 if accepted this cycle.

Why not take a stab at applying to PhD and ma programs? Aside from the unknown GRE your other stats look pretty good. A presentation or pub would help but I still think you may have a shot.

Shoot you aren't that old XD Most applicants are around that age nowadays. 

Thanks @8BitJourney :D I feel younger now! Yes, I had the same thinking as yourself originally that I would apply to a mix of MA and PhD programs, but most counseling psychology PhD programs that I am interested in either require a MA or strongly prefer one. I figure I'll go ahead and do it and hopefully get some hands on experience and a pub or two.

8 hours ago, Ppkitty said:

Thanks @8BitJourney :D I feel younger now! Yes, I had the same thinking as yourself originally that I would apply to a mix of MA and PhD programs, but most counseling psychology PhD programs that I am interested in either require a MA or strongly prefer one. I figure I'll go ahead and do it and hopefully get some hands on experience and a pub or two.

That's what I've seen for PhD programs as well but for mine the cohort this year only has BA/B.S. degrees so you may break the mold!

Feel free to pm if you have any questions!

• 1 month later...

I have two questions that I hope to discuss with folks here!

1) How many projects are you applying? I am applying to 13 clinical and 7 counseling.

2) I am not sure if my lack in face-to-face counseling experiences would limit my chances. I only have several years of hotline crisis operator experiences as well as experiences working as group therapy assistants. But the bright side is that I have high GRE (330+, 5) and GPA (3.9+ undergrad), and two under-reviewed pubs (might not be able to gain publication prior deadline). Lack of master education and clinical experiences make me a bit worried that counseling programs might not even consider my applications seriously. Does anyone have any suggestions as regards to my situations?

Thank you and my sincere wishes to everyone!

Edited by MarkLovesER
mistakes

@MarkLovesER, I think most programs realize that hands-on counseling experience is hard to get. However, many counseling psychology applicants will probably have a bit more clinical experience at the PhD applicant level, since many applicants already have a master's degree which required them to do an internship or practicum in the field. Really highlight your group therapy assistant experience in you SOP for sure.

14 hours ago, Ppkitty said:

@MarkLovesER, I think most programs realize that hands-on counseling experience is hard to get. However, many counseling psychology applicants will probably have a bit more clinical experience at the PhD applicant level, since many applicants already have a master's degree which required them to do an internship or practicum in the field. Really highlight your group therapy assistant experience in you SOP for sure.

Thank you so much for the practical advice, which sounds very reasonable and workable. Will do!

On 10/11/2017 at 3:20 AM, MarkLovesER said:

I am not sure if my lack in face-to-face counseling experiences would limit my chances. I only have several years of hotline crisis operator experiences as well as experiences working as group therapy assistants. But the bright side is that I have high GRE (330+, 5) and GPA (3.9+ undergrad), and two under-reviewed pubs (might not be able to gain publication prior deadline). Lack of master education and clinical experiences make me a bit worried that counseling programs might not even consider my applications seriously. Does anyone have any suggestions as regards to my situations?

This is going to differ from one counseling psych program to the next. My program doesn't even permit applications from anyone without a terminal masters in counseling or related field, but I know of other programs that specifically have post-BA and post-MA tracks, and will dedicate a certain number of spots for each track. If the program accepts applications from applicants without a masters, then it's safe to say they are at the very least willing to consider you. Having any pubs will definitely help your case, as there will likely be (some) applicants with masters degrees that don't have any pubs. I would also echo Ppkitty and highlight your group therapy assistant experience, as this is very relevant to the training you will receive in a counseling psych program.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for starting the thread @aaustin

I'm looking to apply to about 3 programs in the Portland area.

Undergrad GPA: 3.78 -- graduating in December
About 6 years work experience with children, ID/DD community, and sexual assault victim advocacy.
No GRE at the moment, but not betting on a good score. My SAT's were mildly ok.

I got a question for you guys: is it worth taking the GRE if the programs I'm applying to don't explicitly require scores? I've heard some people say it's still your responsibility to send them in, but I'm worried my scores would do more harm than good.