Profile Evaluation

Undergraduate Institution: well-known, respected liberal arts university.

Major: Political Science

Major GPA: Approximately 3.97

Cumulative GPA: Approximately 3.865

GRE: I have not taken the GRE yet, though I have been studying. I feel confident about scoring in the 160+ area on both the quantitative and verbal portions.

Letters of Recommendation: One from a professor that I am quite close with, one from a professor that was the instructor for my methodology courses, and one from a professor that I have a good relationship with. Each professor is well-known in his/her respective sub-fields, and two have connections to top scholars in the field. 

Research Experience: I am well-versed in R and Latex. I have formal training in quantitative methodology, and have particular experience with regression analysis, spatial modeling, and factor analysis. I may (that is a strong may) have a publication in a top undergraduate journal. I will be submitting my writing sample for publication in the fall. 

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Comparative politics and international relations. I am primarily interested in post-Soviet politics. 

Additional Skills: I have studied abroad in Germany and, as such, am proficient in German.

My top choices are Chicago, UNC-Chapel Hill, UW-Madison, and UT-Austin. 

Do I have a chance at any of these programs? Thanks!

I think you might have a strong chance in all of these programs. I was accepted at Austin with a decidedly less-impressive profile, but with a really strong fit. And fit matters more than almost anything combined when programs are on the fence.

3 hours ago, VMcJ said:

I think you might have a strong chance in all of these programs. I was accepted at Austin with a decidedly less-impressive profile, but with a really strong fit. And fit matters more than almost anything combined when programs are on the fence.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, did you accept the offer? Did you get into any other programs? I'm interested in working with Zoltan Barany and Robert Moser. 

14 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Thanks. Out of curiosity, did you accept the offer? Did you get into any other programs? I'm interested in working with Zoltan Barany and Robert Moser. 

No, I got into other four programs. Eventually I decided for Ohio State and will be there next week.

16 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

FYI, Moser is in administration now and is not leaving his post as head of department any time soon. He is not teaching grad seminars anymore and I don't think he currently advises many either.

55 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

FYI, Moser is in administration now and is not leaving his post as head of department any time soon. He is not teaching grad seminars anymore and I don't think he currently advises many either.

Good to know. Thanks.

I'd say that you'd have a strong chance at any of those schools (of course, pending excellent recommendations and a solid GRE. Take the time to write an excellent SOP, too. 

EDIT: I'm headed to UNC-CH with a similar profile (albeit, different subfield). 

Edited by StrengthandHonor

1 hour ago, StrengthandHonor said:

I'd say that you'd have a strong chance at any of those schools (of course, pending excellent recommendations and a solid GRE. Take the time to write an excellent SOP, too. 

EDIT: I'm headed to UNC-CH with a similar profile (albeit, different subfield). 

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on the GRE?

With a credible profile like that, I would suggest applying to a wide range of schools, including places that are higher ranked than your list such as Princeton etc. (not that you should pay too much attention to subtle differences rank). The process is very random and you want to maximize your chances of having good options in April.