Definitive Ranking of Programs?

aphelion

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I figured it was worth asking since my own research has turned up surprisingly little. I've seen a lot of references on here to first-tier and second-tier grad schools for religious studies. Is there some ranking of programs that is accepted as more or less definitive (or as close to objective as you can ever achieve when looking at an overall program)? I've seen one from theologydegrees.org, but I'm not sure how helpful or applicable you all find it, or if there is another list out there. 

I have not found a satisfactory list. Most of the time the lists are not good representations of reality. Mostly because religious Studies is a broad field, probably too broad for any definitive ranking. What matters is your subject area. Who cares if your school is below par at Native American Religions if you are interested in African Tribal Religions? If you are looking for a program that deals with the ANE, the status of the historical theology department will have little bearing on the quality of your program. 

Also, because fit is one of the most important things for a person, everyone will determine the Tier of the school differently based on how they fit with that particular program. If you are going to study Jewish apocalyptic literature, no matter how good a school is, it shouldn't be ranked that high for you if there is not a single person who regularly interacts in that field at that school. 

Some things definitely define the tier structure for most people:

1. Funding. Unless you are looking outside the US, fully funded programs are typically a higher tier than programs that are not fully funded. Those with a stipend included are typically higher than those without a stipend. UK schools get an exception because as a non UK resident you will have to pay tuition (funding is possible, but not a given), although the schools (in certain areas) are some of the best. 
  2. Attached to a Research Institution. Bigger schools have more resources, offer more opportunities for inter-disciplinary studies, and typically host more conferences and speakers.
  3. Length of influence in the field. Your PhD will attach you to the legacy of research at your doctoral institution. E
  4. Current Faculty and their publications. This typically is more of an intra-tier factor. If you are looking at Biblical Studies or Theology, some standalone seminaries have more well-known scholars than graduate schools at larger institutions. However, due to #1 and #3 and #6 standalone seminaries are typically relegated to tier 2 status (Princeton Theological being the typical exception). 
  5. Placement rating of graduates. Not always published. Not always a factor in online rankings. Personally, because of the current state of the job market, this has to be taken into account. 
  6. Overall University prestige. 

Your best bet is to apply to fully funded programs at large research institutions, that are well known and respected in their own right, with an established faculty that has at least professor who could be an adviser for your potential dissertation topic. 

If you have a specific subject matter within the field of Religious Studies you are interested in, let us know and someone may be able to point you in the direction of the topic schools in that area. 

Thank you for such a kind and thoughtful reply! I'm still in my last couple of years of undergrad, so I've got a little time to figure this out before I start applying to M.A. programs (I have a previous master's in an unrelated field, so I'm a second-degree/second-career student) and making concrete commitments to an area of study, but I didn't want to leave looking at programs until the very last minute. 

I'm actively considering a few areas of interest, but I'm particularly drawn to new religious movements and American religious history. The former has been a particularly difficult area to research in terms of graduate schools. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on what NRMs you're into, that could take you a few places. 

In terms of MA's, Western Michigan is a funded MA with a faculty member specializing in NRMs. Not my field, but I took two courses with him and both were fantastic. 

I know UCSB is a place people are doing work on NRMs. You might also look at UVA, as they have a couple great Americanists. I'm sure others can make suggestions too based on schools they attended or researched. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply! (And sorry for my own late response -- I only saw it this evening.) I'm mostly interested in NRMs with Christian roots, but I take an interest in UFO religions as well. 

I wasn't aware of the Western Michigan program; most of the information I've seen on the Web has focused on a small handful of programs, and I feel like there must be a lot of great programs out there that I'm just not hearing about. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at that program. 

UCSB's program looks great and they've been on my radar for a while; so I'm almost certain to apply there. Up until a few days ago I was very interested in the UVA program, but my spouse is Jewish, and with the reports coming out of Charlottesville about lack of police protection given to area synagogues during the rally I'm no longer sure we would feel safe in the area. 

Edited by aphelion

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, FuturePhD2017 said:

This looks a lot more accurate than other rankings I've seen in the past. But two issues. First, tuition shouldn't be a criterion. The vast majority of those listed offer a full financial package that covers tuition (if not all--a couple I'm not sure about.) So high tuition shouldn't negatively affect a program's rank--a low or conditional financial package should though, which doesn't seem to be a factor here.

The other thing is that this, in general, seems somewhat lazily researched. For example, "ATS accredited" shouldn't count as a "standout feature" of a top ranked program. That's a minimum requirement to even be considered a program worth one's time at all, let alone a top 25 program. They identify some actual components of some programs that make it standout perhaps (e.g. NU's interdisciplinary cluster initiative), but for the majority of them, the standout features are virtually meaningless, e.g. "program flexibility" or accreditation, or nothing is listed at all.