To Retake, or to Not Retake?

Hi guys! I took my first GRE exam with very little preparation and got 156 (verbal) and 154 (quantitative). The essay score is still pending. I was disappointed by my math score since I wasn't able to answer four math questions towards the end, and felt like my quantitative could be higher by at least two points. I was wondering if I should take the Magoosh prep course guarantee and then retake the GRE once more to boost my score by 5 points? Or, am I being an overachiever and are those scores just something that grad schools use to filter out applicants? I'm applying to mostly California schools, so I know it can get competitive...

I don't think raising your quant by 2 points is likely to make a significant difference. Now if you can raise your verbal up to 160+ (85th percentile), that would really help your chances. SLP programs place much greater emphasis on the verbal portion than the quant.

I really found the Manhattan Prep 5 Lb. Book of Practice Problems to be very helpful in prepping.

I think those scores look great but it really depends on what programs you're applying to. The quantitative scores don't matter as much as the verbal so retaking it to raise you quant score wouldn't be necessary. What matters most is honestly your analytical writing score, schools ask for the GRE because it is important for you to be a good writer (Lesson plans, SOAP notes, treatment plans, etc) Hope this helps!

Don't waste your time or money. I got into many schools, some with scholarships, with the almost the exact same score and breakdown (4.5 writing score). That's a solid score, now make sure other areas of your application are strong and present you as a unique candidate. GRE scores are not often the 'make or break' factor once you MEET the threshold many schools want (e.g. Combined 300 with around 150 in each and at least 4 writing).