Strong Clinical Emphasis

Lucashobbes

Hi, I'm interested in addiction and clinical as well, LGBT community deserve all the support we can give them too. Depends where you live, where you will apply for licensure, what schools are you looking at? If the Bay Area is San Fran then I have some insight into California cause I'm from here too, but LA. I'd look into the CSUs and for sure UCB. What are your undergrad stats and experience as well if you don't mind? I suggest if you care about addiction enough to really want to learn about it, you pursue a secondary certification. CAADE certifies addiction counselors, and if you have a BA in a behavioral health or SW related field of study, you only need to take 15 units and do a 160 hour internship to get the same credential I had to take 47 units for an AS degree in addiction studies and a 250 hour internship to get, CATC III, will be a CATC IV with a masters. It prepares you well and can give you a specialty. You need to accrue hours to be fully certified, but you will do that in practicum and in the years after if you work in addiction field for a little bit. My friends who have MSWs some of whome were in the CATC classes with me said they only had 1 class on addiction, and it was an elective. I'm working with a team of MSWs now who say they do t know anything about addiction, at least nothing very in depth. You can always educate yourself, check out the SAMHSA website and download free publications and or order books for free on many topics related to addiction.

Edited by BackNSchool83

Hello,

I have already pursued a CAADAC - wonderful program-.  The only downside is job opportunities. Hence why i am anticipating applying towards MSW programs for more job growth.

I am on the fence as to whether, an MSW is that much different in terms of an CAADAC, and hence have begin thinking of applying to doctorate programs since i am interested in research and enjoy a more clinical take than a   community focus, typically found in MSW programs.

Well it's different depending on its focus and if you pursue licensure. An LCSW is equal therapist wise to an LMFT or LPCC and often even make a little more, you can open a private practice. You would want that clinical mental health focus though. So big difference in pay as a therapist at many agencies something like 55 to 60k, more like 75 to 80 when licensed, and once licensed could go into clinical director work or private practice which pay even more or do whatever you like. It's also cheaper, a 2 year masters degree vs a 5 year doctorate, and many people I've talked to about it say if you just basically want to do therapy that masters level is fine. If you want to do testing, interpret psych tests, and do therapy with more severe populations the PsyD might be better but again those often cost into the 100k plus range, and getting licensed will take years after the degree is done. You could try for a PhD but those are highly competitive and usually require the applicant have a research history, even PsyD programs are more and more like this.

Edited by BackNSchool83