Stat MS Profile Evaluation

Hi, 

I have been searching for the funded ms programs in statistics, preferably in us and canada. My terminal goal is finance/accounting phd, so I expect that ms degree in stat would serve as a bridge to those phd admissions..

Anyways, I would appreciate an evaluation of my profile for this fall 2018 application season, and any tips/advice offered. If you have more info on funded ms programs, please let me know, thanks!

Undergrad/grad Institution: Seoul national university(korea)
Program: Bachelor of business admin., BA econ, BS stat. (triple degree)
Graduate program: ms in finance/accounting
GPA: 3.97/4.3 (3.85/4.0)
Type of Student: Domestic(us citizen) Asian Male
Courses: 
 -Math
Calculus for Business  A+
Calculus I  A-
Linear Algebra I  A-
Intro to Linear Algebra  A0
Intro to Mathematical Analysis  A0
(textbook: Rudin, PMA)
Numerical Linear Algebra  A0
Real Analysis(undergrad)  A0
(textbook: Folland)

-Stat
Intro Stat  A0
Stat Lab  A+
Intro Prob(calc based)  B0
Regression Analysis  A0
Design of experiments  B+
Mathematical Statistics I/II  B+/A+
Data Mining  A-
Survival Analysis  A0
Time Series Analysis  A+
Sampling Design  A0
Statistical computing  B+

Econometrics(offered by econ dept.)  A0

GRE: 
V164(94%) Q169(97%) W4.5(82%)
I wouldn't take subject math.

Research Experience: none..

Research Interests: 
not determined yet..

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Undergraduate scholarships,
AP scholar award(high school..)

Letters of Recommendation:
To be decided, maybe ones from survival analysis, regression analysis, time series analysis prof. and possibly one from econ dept.

Concerns/Questions:
How bad is the B0 in Intro Prob? I know it's irreversible but I'm just worried. I'm also concerned that my stat gpa is not so outstanding: few A+ in stat and no A+ in math. Would A0 in real analysis compensate the mediocre grade in stat major?

Schools of Interest: 
University of Iowa
Iowa State University
Ohio State University
U Wisconsin-Madison
UBC
- are there any other funded ms stat program? any comments would be appreciated!

With that background, I'd be surprised if you got rejected from any of those schools except maybe UBC (I don't know a lot about them). 

University of Florida has their master's degree embedded with their PhD, so they fund all admitted students (although they do "hope" you'll continue onto the PhD--but many don't).

1 hour ago, footballman2399 said:

With that background, I'd be surprised if you got rejected from any of those schools except maybe UBC (I don't know a lot about them). 

Thanks for your reply!

One more question: would it be a long shot for me to apply to UMich applied stat ms, UIUC stat ms, and Penn State stat ms?

I'm not sure if they offer fundings for ms students but a try wouldn't hurt me..

I don't know much about those US programs, but based on what footballman said it sounds like you'll get into them. You should know that UBC does not fund MSc students, in fact they don't even guarantee funding for their PhD students. The only fully funded (i.e. stipend plus full tuition scholarship) Canadian MSc Stats programs that I know of are Waterloo and Toronto. I think you'd be able to get into those (assuming your University is of the same calibre as top Canadian schools), but remember in Canada almost nobody does direct entry PhD so MSc competition is a lot tougher than it is in the US.

I would say you'd be very competitive for an MS anywhere--including the elite programs like Duke, Harvard, etc. That's just for the acceptances. I doubt seriously those programs offer funding (I'm 99% sure UMich doesn't) for MS students. 

Also, and others can probably comment on this better than I can, it might be more difficult to secure funding as an international student. Just something to keep in mind.

If I were you, I'd target the schools that don't distinguish between MS/PhD like I spoke about above. If you search the forum, I think there are several that people mention / have found. I want to say that maybe Indiana does the same? 

8 hours ago, statscan9 said:

The only fully funded (i.e. stipend plus full tuition scholarship) Canadian MSc Stats programs that I know of are Waterloo and Toronto. I think you'd be able to get into those (assuming your University is of the same calibre as top Canadian schools), but remember in Canada almost nobody does direct entry PhD so MSc competition is a lot tougher than it is in the US.

Thank you, statscan9, for your invaluable info. Since UBC Stat website says it has funding offered to graduate(MSc/PhD) students by way of RA/Ta-ship, I thought there is a chance of my getting funding there. The only drawback of UoT Stat MSc is that it is only a 1-yr program. I believe it's too short for me to prepare for finance/accounting phd there..

Thanks anyway!

8 hours ago, footballman2399 said:

I would say you'd be very competitive for an MS anywhere--including the elite programs like Duke, Harvard, etc. That's just for the acceptances. I doubt seriously those programs offer funding (I'm 99% sure UMich doesn't) for MS students. 

Also, and others can probably comment on this better than I can, it might be more difficult to secure funding as an international student. Just something to keep in mind.

If I were you, I'd target the schools that don't distinguish between MS/PhD like I spoke about above. If you search the forum, I think there are several that people mention / have found. I want to say that maybe Indiana does the same? 

Thanks again for your kind replies, footballman2399.

I know I'm an international student graduating from a foreign institution, but would a us citizenship increase the chance of my getting funded(thru RA/TA-ship)? or would I just be considered as a usual international student? I'm sorry for asking too specific a question, but since I'm a dual citizen, I'm curious. Thanks!

Edited by benwick

14 hours ago, benwick said:

I know I'm an international student graduating from a foreign institution, but would a us citizenship increase the chance of my getting funded(thru RA/TA-ship)? or would I just be considered as a usual international student? I'm sorry for asking too specific a question, but since I'm a dual citizen, I'm curious. Thanks!

If it's possible to apply as a US citizen, you should. There's a lot of grants, fellowships, etc. that can only be applied to US citizens.

I agree with @biostatboi--there are stats programs out there that study finance stuff. UCSB and Rice come to mind (they're not super high in the rankings, but have strong faculty working in finance).

I missed the part of your post that says your terminal goal is a PhD in finance or accounting. While a masters in statistics might help increase your profile, I'm not sure if it will be a huge difference maker. SNU is #119 on the US News Global Rankings and it's the best in your country. I'd say your profile is strong enough to apply to some PhD programs directly without even doing an MS in stats. If you're interested in more the statistics side of things, maybe it makes sense to pursue a PhD in stats. I'm not sure about how much statistics connects with accounting though.

Perhaps try posting your profile in the finance section of this forum and/or other forums that are dedicated toward Business PhDs like Urch.com, GMATclub.com, Wall Street Oasis, and Quantnet and see where they think you stand. I know that business PhD admissions are hyper-competitive, but I'd be surprised if you got in nowhere applying to like 10-12 schools.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:58 AM, footballman2399 said:

University of Florida has their master's degree embedded with their PhD, so they fund all admitted students (although they do "hope" you'll continue onto the PhD--but many don't).

Hey @footballman2399 what's your source on this?  Are you a student there?  Can't find anything about funding for MS students on their website!