Discussing with the POI about other POIs

VAZ

Is it normal and totally fine to reveal to your POI where/who else you are applying to? There is no taboo about it right? 

I wouldn't tell them out of the blue. However, if asked, it's fair game - just be smart about it (don't list a bunch of top ranked programs at a much lower ranked school).  I did a pre-admissions interview with a program last year, and the dean asked me where I might be applying and kindly gave me his thoughts - positive and negative - about each of the programs. It was a very helpful to hear the opinions of a leader in the field.

57 minutes ago, Concordia said:

In addition to being a potential doctoral supervisor, my master's supervisor was also on the hook to write recommendations for other programs.  

FWIW, this isn't at all uncommon. It's to be expected by most master's supervisors. 

With something like three POIs—carefully targeted by biography and institution, with a bias towards people working at the more prestigious places—I asked for suggestions of where else to apply. This required presuming good faith from them; to the best of my knowledge, I received it everywhere I asked. The tone of my inquiries was something along the lines of, well obviously I'm interested in your program, since it's such a great fit for me. Since I only have about two other top choices (I don't remember if I named them or explained why—I think maybe I did with the POI with whom I had the single best fit, only?), can you help me expand my list by thinking of dark horse candidate-programs?

Now I did put my foot in my mouth during one of my post-submission interviews in a way that harmed my admission chances at that program, but that was a more obvious faux pas.