Applying to an MPH program with a Humanities Undergrad

mercybuckets

Hey y'all I'm going through a bit of an existential crisis lately and I was hoping someone might have some tips. I'm going into my senior year of undergrad (but I have 3 semesters left because I started mid-year) and I know that I want to apply to MPH programs and possibly do some combination of Public Health and Med. Anthropology. My problem is my undergrad is in Medieval Lit. with a minor in Global Health (no major offered) and I'm worried that I have no chance of getting into a program right out of school.

My school is pretty big name and my GPA is 3.8. I have taken the basic science courses (full year each of Bio. and Chem) and I'm planning on doing either Microbio. or Biochem. in the spring. I also have three years of volunteering at a birth center attached to a hospital. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do in the time between now and applying to make myself a more attractive candidate? Do you think I have any chance of getting in without taking time off? 

If you have 3 semesters left, try to take courses in health psychology, medical sociology, or social anthropology. 

When the time comes, sell your global health minor on your personal statement along with your extra curricular activities. I would also look into getting applied public health experience by volunteering at the local public health unit or at your school's health psychology lab. By doing so, you can get a good recommendation letters from the professors in related field.

Bottom line is, your major and the courses you take do not matter as much as you think. It's about how you present your undergrad/work experience through your CV and personal statement. 

I would recommend you to attend any international academic meet like Public Health Conferences .

This will not only built your knowledge but also will provide you a certification of attending an international forum.

Third World Congress on Public Health and Nutrition going to be held in London is such an International Academic Meet.

Visit here to learn more about the conference: http://publichealth.global-summit.com/