Do you get your tests and quizzes back?

Took some undergrad online classes at ENMU recently and they don't give you your tests or quizzes back, I guess because they are afraid of people sharing answers with future students. Is this how SLP programs operate everywhere? Do you get these materials back attending in-person classes? I honestly don't think I want to waste my time and money on programs where I can't find out what I got wrong so I can focus my valuable time on only restudying the things I need to. I had one class where I got tested 3 times in one week-a quiz, section test and final exam. If I got something wrong on the quiz I got it wrong 3 times that week because there was no practical way for me to know I was getting it wrong aside from studying ALL of the material ALL over again (which is not "practical").

I've taken online classes before including graduate classes and have never run into this kind of policy before. It seems to place the instructor and the institution above the education and success of students. I can understand not releasing results for standardized tests and certifications, but I think its a terrible policy for general coursework.

I've seen the policy and can totally understand it as an instructor. Creating good teaching materials can be extremely time consuming, and sometimes very hard to recreate if they are based on real language data (no idea if that's the case in your situation). There are only so many good data sets out there for a given purpose. That said, the policy should be balanced against fairness and student learning. When I've done this (for finals only), students could meet with me to see their exams in person and they could see where something went wrong. There were also no other deliverables that depended on the exam outcome. Maybe there could be some sort of solution along those lines for you as well. Have you tried reaching out to the instructional staff to get feedback on your work immediately after getting the grade, before the next graded assignment or quiz came up? They should provide a solution or feedback on your work regardless, otherwise something is indeed not working right. 

At Utah State online it depended on the specific class whether the graded quizzes or tests were shown. Most (maybe all? not sure) of the professors who did not show the corrected answers would still discuss the specific areas missed via email or phone upon request. Not giving the correct answers but saying "you missed the questions about topics X, Y, and Z".

2 hours ago, sublingual said:

Took some undergrad online classes at ENMU recently and they don't give you your tests or quizzes back, I guess because they are afraid of people sharing answers with future students. Is this how SLP programs operate everywhere? Do you get these materials back attending in-person classes? I honestly don't think I want to waste my time and money on programs where I can't find out what I got wrong so I can focus my valuable time on only restudying the things I need to. I had one class where I got tested 3 times in one week-a quiz, section test and final exam. If I got something wrong on the quiz I got it wrong 3 times that week because there was no practical way for me to know I was getting it wrong aside from studying ALL of the material ALL over again (which is not "practical").

I've taken online classes before including graduate classes and have never run into this kind of policy before. It seems to place the instructor and the institution above the education and success of students. I can understand not releasing results for standardized tests and certifications, but I think its a terrible policy for general coursework.

Some universities require backup in the event there is a question about grades later. Usually, they will hand back tests for review, then take them back.

At my school some professors give quizzes back and some don't. We take almost all of our quizzes and exams online so they can show us the quizzes for a period of time and then disable us from seeing them.

Side note: some professors also take their lecture materials off portals (D2L, Blackboard). A big piece of advice when starting grad school would be to save every lecture and be meticulous in your organization of your notes! I didn't stay organized for one of my first classes and it made studying for the final a bit harder. 

21 hours ago, ThatSpeechGuy said:

At my school some professors give quizzes back and some don't. We take almost all of our quizzes and exams online so they can show us the quizzes for a period of time and then disable us from seeing them.

Side note: some professors also take their lecture materials off portals (D2L, Blackboard). A big piece of advice when starting grad school would be to save every lecture and be meticulous in your organization of your notes! I didn't stay organized for one of my first classes and it made studying for the final a bit harder. 

ENMU appears to go to great lengths to prevent downloading of lectures. I tried, because I wanted to watch them at a different time than was convenient for streaming them. There may be a work-around but I could not find it, and it might be considered a hack even if I did. That option to allow downloading was intentionally disabled in blackboard.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 7:26 AM, sublingual said:

ENMU appears to go to great lengths to prevent downloading of lectures. I tried, because I wanted to watch them at a different time than was convenient for streaming them. There may be a work-around but I could not find it, and it might be considered a hack even if I did. That option to allow downloading was intentionally disabled in blackboard.

There is absolutely not for 90% of the classes. The whole point of the distance program is so you can partake in synchronous learning with the rest of the cohort - can't contribute to the discussions if you're not there.

53 minutes ago, topshelfprincess said:

There is absolutely not for 90% of the classes. The whole point of the distance program is so you can partake in synchronous learning with the rest of the cohort - can't contribute to the discussions if you're not there.

There is absolutely not what? I'm not sure how your answer applies to the topic.

I go to an in person program and most if not all of our professors will allow students to set up a time to come to office hours or meet with the TA to go over any questions they missed.  We aren't allowed to take home the tests/quizzes but we can see what we missed.