American Studies Cycle 2017/2018

amstu

Hi all. I have tried to create an American Studies thread a couple times in the past as we approach the Fall semester and graduate applications become due. I may be doing it incorrectly (or people may not be interested!). 

I will be applying to a mix of American Studies and English PhD programs for Fall 2018 admission (and may or may not be applying to an MFA program in Nonfiction). I am currently interested in the Colonial through the antebellum period and would be cheerfully content in either a targeted English or an American Studies program. "Targeted" meaning that I am not applying simply to "top" schools because they may be "top". My school-list focuses on programs that have strengths in Colonial, Early Republic or nineteenth century American textual studies (or some combination thereof). I am still editing my list. It currently stands at 12, which feels like a lot. I'd like to get it down to 10. Maybe it doesn't matter. 

I am still working on my writing sample. I'm also slowly working through my Statements of Purpose. 

I would be open to finding an American Studies application pen-pal (either through this thread or via direct message). I have a small support network at my current school, but it would also be nice to find someone whose trajectory is closer to mine. And perhaps we will end up in the same cohort! I was fairly anxious at the beginning of the summer, but I'm not especially bothered right now.  (Caveat: If you are here to give me a "reality check" that I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than getting into a program I would kindly ask you to redirect your helpful energy to a more worthy soul.) 

Good luck all! 

I know that Rice University in Houston has a strong early American position in their English department. I applied there and while I do significant research in American writings up through the 19th C, I am a 20th C Americanist and my WS revealed that. My application was rejected, which did not surprise me. Rice is a small prestigious university in the central part of Houston near the medical center. Lovely neighborhoods surround it (pricey). Unless you want to live in the burbs and drive in traffic, you will pay the price of rent in central Houston, which runs from about $1,100-$1,500 for a 1-bedroom, but Rice does pay a reasonable stipend. I like American Studies also, but decided to go for the English PhD in American lit. UMass has an American Studies program within the English Department.  I spent a year of my undergrad there on an exchange. Nice town and the university is good. English department was varied and had good variety.

Though I consider myself more interested in Cultural Studies and contemporary lit/film/tv/comics, I am applying to a few American Studies programs (UT, UMD, USC, UNM). I just looked over last years thread and appears to be filled with tears and heartbreak, so here's to knowingly plunging into a world of disappointment!

Edited by CulturalCriminal

Cheers to disappointment! I am currently at one of the schools in your list that you are applying to, so let me know if you need any information. 

• 2 months later...

Hoping to revive this forum with application deadlines approaching! I have read through last year's forum several times and it freaks me out a bit. It did help me focus on History programs and not just American Studies.

I am definitely applying to Boston, UNC Chapel Hill (History not AMST because it applies better to my research interests), Georgetown (History), and am still debating about Brown/Yale for AMST and UMass Amherst (History). Where are you all thinking?

On 8/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, amstu said:

Hi all. I have tried to create an American Studies thread a couple times in the past as we approach the Fall semester and graduate applications become due. I may be doing it incorrectly (or people may not be interested!). 

I will be applying to a mix of American Studies and English PhD programs for Fall 2018 admission (and may or may not be applying to an MFA program in Nonfiction). I am currently interested in the Colonial through the antebellum period and would be cheerfully content in either a targeted English or an American Studies program. "Targeted" meaning that I am not applying simply to "top" schools because they may be "top". My school-list focuses on programs that have strengths in Colonial, Early Republic or nineteenth century American textual studies (or some combination thereof). I am still editing my list. It currently stands at 12, which feels like a lot. I'd like to get it down to 10. Maybe it doesn't matter. 

I am still working on my writing sample. I'm also slowly working through my Statements of Purpose. 

I would be open to finding an American Studies application pen-pal (either through this thread or via direct message). I have a small support network at my current school, but it would also be nice to find someone whose trajectory is closer to mine. And perhaps we will end up in the same cohort! I was fairly anxious at the beginning of the summer, but I'm not especially bothered right now.  (Caveat: If you are here to give me a "reality check" that I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than getting into a program I would kindly ask you to redirect your helpful energy to a more worthy soul.) 

Good luck all! 

Hello, I'm a current Ph.D. candidate in American Studies at the University of Iowa. I think you should apply to our program. Laura Rigal, my advisor is jointly appointed in American Studies and English and her speciality is early colonial American literature. Plus, I've spoken with our DGS and she intimated that we have enough funding to fully fund four applicants for five years. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

I also got waitlisted at UT Austin today. What a bummer. 

Did anyone else apply to USC? I saw folks posted their acceptances last week. It makes me think I will be getting a rejection email soon.

I did and did not hear anything back, so I'm expecting a reject as well. (Which is fine, their department was a little bit of a stretch for me in terms of fit.)

Anyone applying to NYU? I think they tend to send out notifications in early-mid February...

Hey all, I'm applying to a mix of interdisciplinary programs, including a couple for American studies (Alabama and Bowling Green). Best of luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have already received good news!

13 hours ago, evanmarie said:

Am I the only one super thrilled about my waitlist? It's such a small program, I'm still pretty thrilled!

I’m right there with you on this and am  of the mind that if someone’s bummed about it then make room for someone greatful to not get outright rejected.

12 hours ago, jpbends said:

At this point I'm thinking that USC and Berkeley are lost causes. There go both of my AmSt/Ethnic Studies programs.

I called the department, and they told me we should hear from them early this month. I did see someone post their admittance on the results page last week. I am hopeful for both of us!