How to dress for various upcoming activities?

HiFiWiFi

I'm beginning a Masters program in nutrition UNC next week and I'm very excited. The application process did not involve interviews or campus visits, and so I have not yet really interacted with anyone in the program, students or faculty.

Thursday I have the mandatory School of Public Health graduate student orientation which is, as it sounds, a orientation for graduate students for this particular school, ostensibly to learn about the programs, area, resources available to us, etc. 

Friday I have the optional diversity orientation which is for undergrad and grad students within the PH school but aimed at students in minority groups (I myself being in the LGBTQ category).

On Saturday I have a more casual potluck/BBQ organized by a student group in my particular degree field. (There are ~50 students, 25 second year, 25 incoming, give or take a few, and I believe ~12 are going to attend this thing.)

On Monday I have no classes but have a School welcome and department orientation.

On Tuesday is my first day of classes.

I'm quite certain I'm good with jeans and other casual wear for the potluck, but what about all that other stuff? I am not currently employed by the department but very much want to be in the coming weeks, and so I feel I should dress up a bit to make a professional first impression, but I'm worried about being overdressed if everyone else dresses like undergrads in sweaters and jeans. And obviously the last thing I want to do is be underdressed.

Any insight?

Two thoughts:

1) In general, the South is more formal than the southwest. As in, it's much more common for people to dress business casual or nicer to teach (even as grad students).

2) It's unlikely you'll be interacting with (m)any faculty at the school-wide orientation as that's typically run by student affairs professionals. 

Personally, I'd opt do jeans/summer casual for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. For Monday and Tuesday, I'd do something a little nicer (so maybe khakis or a dress/skirt, if female). I wouldn't necessarily go all the way to business casual unless you have and are comfortable in those clothes. For shoes, I'd go with something that's nice and easy to walk around a lot in for all events.

Please keep in mind that Arizona heat is different than Carolina heat because of the humidity. If you don't give yourself enough prep and travel time, you could end up arriving as wet as you were when you get out the shower. (This happened to me a couple of times in Texas.)

Moisture wicking undies (I like Ex officio these days), performance jeans with moister wicking threads. and a synthetic top over a synthetic under shirt can help mitigate the effects of the heat and the humidity.

Keep your cool as you adjust to the culture. You may meet people whose views align with yours on issues A through X but collide on Y and Z. If Y or Z = 2A issues, the armed services, or race relations do what you can to roll with it.

If Y or Z is some thing about the Duke Blue Devils playing better basketball than the Tar Heels, put down your drink, take off your watch, roll up your sleeves, break a beer bottle, brandish it like a dirk, and say "Excuse me?"