GRE Subjects

samman1994

Hello everyone,

I have seen a variety of schools stating the GRE subjects test is not required, but highly reccomended (since I'm applying to Biomed Science I assume I'd need to take the Biochem subjects test). How important is the Subjects test? When they say "reccomended but not required", does that basically mean take the test if you want to get it? 

Depends completely on each school. You could contact each department that lists this to find out. At my PhD school, programs could only choose between "Required", "Strongly Recommended" or "Not Required". If it's "Not Required" then applicants cannot submit scores. So, programs that want an optional reporting have a website that says "Strongly Recommended" even though it could really just mean "completely optional". However, other places are more like what you've said: they expect you to take it unless you have some other reason, or they expect some people to take it (e.g. a multidisciplinary program related to Physics might expect you to take the Physics GRE if you had a Physics undergrad but not if you are coming from a Biology degree with the intent to do Biophysics research). So if in doubt, just ask!