MLIS/Information science with HCI or UX focus?

I'm in the process of compiling a list of schools to apply to for in a few months to start in fall 2018. I am interested more in the information science side of things and would hope to pursue a career in user experience, information architecture, hci etc with a research focus. I am interested if anyone has applied or gone to mlis programs, especially in Canada with a similar background. So far I'm looking at

U of T (for sure gonna apply)

UBC (interested but not sure it would fit my focus)

Do any of the of mlis programs in Canada fit this description?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 7:14 PM, 2tabbies said:

I know you said Canada, but you might take a look at the University of Maryland, College Park. They have a Master's in HCI (HCIM) program that has a pretty good reputation in the field and has some excellent connections to the DC and greater HCI world.

Thanks! I will check it out and its actually one of the US schools I'm looking at but for various personal reasons my top choice would be to stay within Canada if at all possible.

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, Vallhala said:

@myrmidonqueen how do you like MISt at McGill? I just got an offer of admission and I’m not sure if I should accept, I saw negative reviews regarding job preparation there.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far! First semester is a bit rough as you have to take the core courses which can be a bit dry because they're super theoretical. But I'm in my second semester now and taking courses that I came here to take (focusing on archives and such), so I'm having a lot more fun studying haha. Plus there are lots of opportunities to get involved in student affairs and there's a listserv for the program that you can sign up for that sends out emails whenever jobs are available in the field. That's actually how I got the job in the library I'm working at now! Also, practicum opportunities in your final semester can allow you to get experience in the field before graduating!