How important is continuous Research?

samman1994

Hello everyone,

So I've been looking at various schools, and have gotten what I want pretty narrowed down. School along with the program. My question is, how important is continuous research? What I mean by continuous research is, basically joining a very similar research lab that you were in say for your undergrad. I.e. I was in a protein biochemistry research lab using NMR for structural and dynamic information regarding proteins, and the PhD programs/lab I'm looking at are very similar (they may have some slight differences, but overall still protein biochemistry using NMR for structural/dynamic). Basically, the research lab I would be joining, I already know a lot about the field, the instrumentation, and the theoretical background knowledge. Since I've also read a lot of literature regarding the field, I would also be very up to date to the newest concepts in said lab. I ask this because I know its important to have previous research experience when looking for PhD programs for undergrad, but how important is related or very similar research (I call it continuous)? Of course it'll be better, but by how much? Does it boost my application to that lab by a lot? 

In your SOP, you need to be able to construct a narrative for why you are applying to a given program - why would you fit in, why should they take you? That is easier if you have a lot of experience in exactly what the department is strongest in, but this is not required for admission. Strong interest and comparable experiences are sufficient.

From your post it sounds like you might be applying to a program for a single lab. Be careful if so. You don't necessarily know if the PI will have the funding and/or desire to take a student next year. Even a verbal assurance to the contrary from the PI isn't worth much - they might move, they might retire, something might change in their lab between now and when you want to start. In any case, you'll be more likely to get in if you can make a case to the department as a whole for why they should accept you rather than just to a single PI. The admissions committees will be more than one person, and your PI of interest may not even be a part of it.

12 hours ago, samman1994 said:

There are multiple labs that actually do what I'm discussing. Each school I am applying has at least 3+ faculty doing said research. But I understand, thank you!

You should be in good shape then!