Is the American dream over?

melkreetazingo

In the 1950s the american middle class had a two-story house, one or two cars, good salary and family. Today, the middle class needs two jobs to have the same. Health care and mortgages, expensive. Some invest the economy of years to "invent". $ 100,000 to create something that maybe not sell (american inventor). Greed in America is generalized.

I wouldn't say it's over. I'd say it's adapted. Yes, the American economy has changed some of the home dynamic, but the ability to have a family, with the white picket-fence and solid career is still there. It takes supporting each other as you work for both, and more double-tasking earlier on in your life. It is not easy to achieve, by any means, but it is possible. Even for people, like me, who went through poverty as a child.

My boyfriend and I are living 'our modified-version' of the American dream. This modification includes:

1. Large house with yard (we rent it so we have mobility and less upkeep responsibility)
  2. 2 loving pets and planning for kids in the next 5(ish) years
  3. 1 car - because I don't need one and hate driving. I just sold my other one
  4. Both working in fields we are passionate about, and supporting each other to move forward
  5. Household income that afford us the flexibility and finances to do what we love (visit museums, eating out, movies, etc.)

In about 10 years, we see ourselves with him working from home in the art studio, me making 80+k, kids, still in a nice house we either rent or own, and all that jazz... That might not be 1950's American dream, but it is certainly our middle class dream - and we are well on our way.

• 3 years later...
On 8/21/2017 at 7:09 PM, _kita said:

I wouldn't say it's over. I'd say it's adapted. Yes, the American economy has changed some of the home dynamic, but the ability to have a family, with the white picket-fence and solid career is still there. It takes supporting each other as you work for both, and more double-tasking earlier on in your life. It is not easy to achieve, by any means, but it is possible. Even for people, like me, who went through poverty as a child.

My boyfriend and I are living 'our modified-version' of the American dream. This modification includes:

1. Large house with yard (we rent it so we have mobility and less upkeep responsibility)
  2. 2 loving pets and planning for kids in the next 5(ish) years
  3. 1 car - because I don't need one and hate driving. I just sold my other one
  4. Both working in fields we are passionate about, and supporting each other to move forward
  5. Household income that afford us the flexibility and finances to do what we love (visit museums, eating out, movies, etc.) 
  6. I also found a lot of interesting information about the American dream at https://studyhippo.com/essays-on/american-dream/ and I recommend you read it. There's a lot of valuable content that I use when writing papers at university. It saves me time and efforts.

In about 10 years, we see ourselves with him working from home in the art studio, me making 80+k, kids, still in a nice house we either rent or own, and all that jazz... That might not be 1950's American dream, but it is certainly our middle class dream - and we are well on our way.

An interesting interpretation of the American dream. I really like it! You wrote how you see yourself in 10 years.

But can you describe how you see yourself in 20-30 years? Thanks in advance!

Edited by ykolp

1 hour ago, ykolp said:

An interesting interpretation of the American dream. I really like it! You wrote how you see yourself in 10 years.

But can you describe how you see yourself in 20-30 years? Thanks in advance!

Wow! My original comment is about 4 years ago now... surprised the thread was revived! I'll be 50-60s in 20-30 years since I'm in my 30's now. Currently, I'm solidly in my career seeing a solid upward trajectory in system transformation, married, looking at a kid in 1 year or so, buying a house, etc. All of these goals are super short-term now.

So in 20-30 years, my white picket fence is a nice house in the city (local government civil service requirements, I have to live in the city), but I can find a nice one with a backyard on the outskirts! I'll also have made solid system change and am grooming employees who are my future kid(s) age to do my job better than I do. I'll also be deciding whether I'll actually retire or love what I do too much.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:42 AM, melkreetazingo said:

In the 1950s the american middle class had a two-story house, one or two cars, good salary and family. Today, the middle class needs two jobs to have the same. Health care and mortgages, expensive. Some invest the economy of years to "invent". $ 100,000 to create something that maybe not sell (american inventor). Greed in America is generalized.

As a neo-Marxist the American dream for me died when the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act during the 1980's. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass–Steagall_legislation) THis allowed for a completely unregulated financial system which increased the corruption throughout the system. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath_of_the_repeal_of_the_Glass–Steagall_Act)

Granted this isn't the proper forum to delve heavily into this but also I would argue that the invention of the financial derivative was the death knell of the American dream. Once everything could be commodified then everything could be up for grabs in our society.

This post is a perfect example of white privilege. A 2 story house, 2 cars, health insurance, and extra money to invest. While that may be your American dream, it is that same entitlement that leads you to consume more than you need. With a modest home and public transportation, you could still carry on while those extra resources could be more appropriately appropriated to the disadvantaged minorities. That 100,000 would be better served sending immigrants to college. Further more, you wont need to work an extra job that is ultimately being taken from somebody else to provide you with the current excess institutional racism has programmed you to demand of society.

Edited by Socio84

On 4/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, Socio84 said:

This post is a perfect example of white privilege. A 2 story house, 2 cars, health insurance, and extra money to invest. While that may be your American dream, it is that same entitlement that leads you to consume more than you need. With a modest home and public transportation, you could still carry on while those extra resources could be more appropriately appropriated to the disadvantaged minorities. That 100,000 would be better served sending immigrants to college. Further more, you wont need to work an extra job that is ultimately being taken from somebody else to provide you with the current excess institutional racism has programmed you to demand of society.

R u 4 reel or trolling 

• 2 weeks later...

Of course the American Dream is over. Instead, you have people (like posters above) who want to believe that meritocracy/their work and what they've been able to accomplish is that "dream" while the rewards for the work have objectively diminished over the last 50 years. There's nothing wrong with reframing it as "my American Dream" but realize that when you do this you are 1) managing your personal self image (normal psychological response) and 2) managing your perceived and projected social class (moral capital management- how worthy others view you and how you want to be viewed). Just look at studies of downward mobility amongst the millennial generation or recent reports on inequality in this country...those tell the quantitative story of the death of the American Dream (and the job market we'll all experience after grad school is just another symptom of that). 

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, THS said:

Of course the American Dream is over. Instead, you have people (like posters above) who want to believe that meritocracy/their work and what they've been able to accomplish is that "dream" while the rewards for the work have objectively diminished over the last 50 years. There's nothing wrong with reframing it as "my American Dream" but realize that when you do this you are 1) managing your personal self image (normal psychological response) and 2) managing your perceived and projected social class (moral capital management- how worthy others view you and how you want to be viewed). Just look at studies of downward mobility amongst the millennial generation or recent reports on inequality in this country...those tell the quantitative story of the death of the American Dream (and the job market we'll all experience after grad school is just another symptom of that). 

I don't believe the American Dream is over. It's a free friggin' country. No one made you attend graduate school and/or experience a "dismal" job market. That was your choice. Yeah it would be nice to land a tenure track job at a great University but you make your own decisions on this. You can do and be what you want.  You can dye your hair, wear nose rings and have lots of tattoos. You can wear docs or birks or dance the mambo.... whatever...... The whole idea of "The American dream" is still alive in my humble humble opinion.... and I emphasize humble, not humbolt.... what have your been smokin?