UCLA EE MS/PhD

ElecEng

I applied to the UCLA Electrical Engineering PhD program and was accepted via email this week ... to the MS program. The email noted that admission to the PhD program is contingent upon the completion of an MS. In addition, financial aid awards will be announced next month.

I wanted to see if this what other PhD applicants have been told. I have also been invited to the Graduate Student Open House on March 5th.

Please use this thread to share any other thoughts or questions about UCLA Electrical Engineering.

I applied to the UCLA Electrical Engineering PhD program and was accepted via email this week ... to the MS program. The email noted that admission to the PhD program is contingent upon the completion of an MS. In addition, financial aid awards will be announced next month.

I wanted to see if this what other PhD applicants have been told. I have also been invited to the Graduate Student Open House on March 5th.

Please use this thread to share any other thoughts or questions about UCLA Electrical Engineering.

I got an unofficial acceptance mail from a potential advisor about a week back. I'm waiting for an official mail from them. I'm actually really anxious to know of the financial aid offer, especially considering the budgetary situation of the UCs.

I should add that I'm also interested to hear from current UCLA grad students. Were there any problems getting into the PhD program down the line? Does everybody make it (everyone who has a reasonably competitive record)? Is there anything to be wary of due to the MS/PhD distinction?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an admission offer from ucla for ms leading phd altough my aim was direct phd. (email says that i can apply for phd after finishing ms).

the thing i'm gonna ask is that is there any GRA positions or financial aid available for MS students whose aim is to pursue PHD at UCLA?

or was this admission due to UC's financial situations, so that they can get some tuition money from MS students?

• 3 weeks later...

I am accepted at

Duke (CS PhD)

UW-Madison (ECE MS)

UCLA (EE MS)

I love to attend UCLA, but with no funding from there, I suppose I may not!

UCLA has been comprehensively terrible with funding this year.

Similarly UW-Madison isn't good at funding either, so I guess it's Duke for me for now!

Any better idea or suggestion from anyone......