2010 Civil Engineering Applicants

Moghi

Hi everybody,

I applied for a MS in Civil Engineering this year (International student). I chose 3 universities, among which Stanford University and UCB.

I already got accepted to my 3rd university but I was just wondering : has any of you heard about Stanford or Berkeley ?

It seems that they had like 30% more applicants and with the crisis, I don't know if they will take more or less applicants this year.

I understand that international PhD applicants will have difficulties, but what about master applicants ?

Okay, forget my question.

I just saw 2 results from Stanford today.

Anyway, what did you apply to ? Care to share your profile, what you want to do and if you already have some admits ?

Hi,

i too was wondering the same about most of the top univ's...have u heard from CMU/UIUC ( i had a telephonic interview there) or Austin??

Moghi I'm in the same situation as you... waiting for UCB and Stanford. apparently Berkeley emails out notifications and Stanford uses snail mail.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself...but would you guys rather go to UCB or Stanford? (assume no fundings for MS, at least that's what comp_math and a few graduate students told me).

are you guys studying structural engineering?

@espoir, UT Austin sent me admissions a few days ago.

Moghi I'm in the same situation as you... waiting for UCB and Stanford. apparently Berkeley emails out notifications and Stanford uses snail mail.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself...but would you guys rather go to UCB or Stanford? (assume no fundings for MS, at least that's what comp_math and a few graduate students told me).

It is also rather expensive to live in the bay area. Didn't apply to Stanford - Palo Alto is even more expensive.

Edited by comp_math

Hello,

I have an admit from Purdue. Still waiting to hear back on almost all other applications. Seems to be taking forever.

Applied to masters in structural engg intend to apply for a phd later on. It will be helpful if u can share the field u applied to as well.

I applied for the project Management program.

However, between Berkeley and Stanford, I'm still not sure what my choice would be. I like what both universities offer. I guess my choice will be made depending on my admits...

@ Espoir, keep faith !

Edited by Moghi

I am a structural engineer applying to a MS degree in Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Georgia Tech and UC Boulder but I have not received any notifications.

Does anyone know if in Stanford use snail mail even for international applicants?

This waiting time is making work even more stressfull... :P

I applied to Boulder, Carnegie Mellon and Stanford all MS.

So far, I've been accepted to Boulder with the funding decision still to come, and Carnegie Mellon with no funding.

I'm still waiting to hear from Stanford, but Boulder and Stanford were my top choices.

I applied to Boulder, Carnegie Mellon and Stanford all MS.

So far, I've been accepted to Boulder with the funding decision still to come, and Carnegie Mellon with no funding.

I'm still waiting to hear from Stanford, but Boulder and Stanford were my top choices.

When did you send your application to boulder???

I also applied to UCB and Stanford Civil Structural Engineering Program and waiting for decision.

According to Result and Forum threads, I found out that many people consider Stanford as one of the top program (duh.. i know that..)

What i mean is, if I want to be a structural engineer, (Plan to work @ consulting firm after my MS degree), is Stanford good choice over University of Illinois OR Texas?

I'm not trying to let people fight over the name value or prestige of schools, but I'm just curious, because I know that Illinois or Texas has bigger labs, more renown faculty members.

Or, if you are not going in to research, I guess name value and location of school (close to many great civil firms) should be the priority?

I'm international student, so I really don't know much about this, and I just wanna get an idea of how other people think. (I hope I didn't offend any students of universities I have mentioned above ^^; )

What i mean is, if I want to be a structural engineer, (Plan to work @ consulting firm after my MS degree), is Stanford good choice over University of Illinois OR Texas?

Or, if you are not going in to research, I guess name value and location of school (close to many great civil firms) should be the priority?

Try finding out about the job placements from the site/adviser/attending students/lor writers. Contacting some potential employers abt which one they prefer will be useful  (if this is possible). Better internship opp. during grad school and social events in the dept with employers can be determiners too. 

My pref would be Stanford (if financing is not a prob). Their faculties should also have great contacts.  In overall ranking  Stanford stands out.

Since u are not into research, lab size shouldnt matter, unless u are interested in specific topic (in my opinion). Field visits could be a priority.

did you guys apply for a terminal degree M.Eng or MS? Berkeley's structural and environmental department is juggernaut, they publish so many papers it's ridiculous. but Stanford campus has more of a graduate school "feel" to it, for a lot more money of course. In fact, even their application fee was the highest of all schools I've applied to.

If you simply want a terminal masters and find a job, it doesn't matter where you do it. You'll take pretty much the same core courses anywhere you go. School only matters if you are doing research. Just pick the one you like. If you are applying for MS only, it will be difficult to get funding. At this point in time you should just think of getting into and completing a program; getting a job here as an international student depends a variety of other factors.

I also applied to UCB and Stanford Civil Structural Engineering Program and waiting for decision.

According to Result and Forum threads, I found out that many people consider Stanford as one of the top program (duh.. i know that..)

I'm not trying to let people fight over the name value or prestige of schools, but I'm just curious, because I know that Illinois or Texas has bigger labs, more renown faculty members.

I'm international student, so I really don't know much about this, and I just wanna get an idea of how other people think. (I hope I didn't offend any students of universities I have mentioned above ^^; )

Edited by comp_math

Thank you for comments! guys!

I would like to get a job in california! You said as an international student, there are variety of other factors of getting a job,, Could you tell me what variety of other factors are??

Visa and language problems etc?? (btw, I have no industry experience, i just have some research experience from my undergrad school)

If you simply want a terminal masters and find a job, it doesn't matter where you do it. You'll take pretty much the same core courses anywhere you go. School only matters if you are doing research. Just pick the one you like. If you are applying for MS only, it will be difficult to get funding. At this point in time you should just think of getting into and completing a program; getting a job here as an international student depends a variety of other factors.

Thank you for comments! guys!

I would like to get a job in california! You said as an international student, there are variety of other factors of getting a job,, Could you tell me what variety of other factors are??

Visa and language problems etc?? (btw, I have no industry experience, i just have some research experience from my undergrad school)

I agree with what was stated already. The economy in CA is terrible. I have been applying for civil jobs for a year and haven't gotten a one.... hence... grad school! Also, my undergraduate degree is supposedly from the top undergraduate engineering school in the US and I have my EIT. So that's going to be your biggest issue.

A Residency status is not required. However for an EIT qualification u need min three yrs engg degree or work exp (foreign degree not accepted). So a terminal master's degree of 2 yrs might be a prob i think.

chk this out

http://www.pels.ca.g...t_lsitapp.shtml

not sure abt other states. I am an international applicant as well, so not sure wat other professional cert might be req. However i am applying to MS/Phd degree not terminal masters.

Edited by dave003