2010 Civil Engineering Applicants

Moghi

I agree with what was stated already. The economy in CA is terrible. I have been applying for civil jobs for a year and haven't gotten a one.... hence... grad school! Also, my undergraduate degree is supposedly from the top undergraduate engineering school in the US and I have my EIT. So that's going to be your biggest issue.

I am not sure if the adcom read this board, but if they do, it might hurt your chances at Stanford :o but there is no doubt that crappy economy factored in my decision to go to grad school as well lol. btw I go to Fresno St, we're like neighbors

I sent in my application mid December, even though the ap date with aid was Jan 15th. I heard back from them on Jan 19th though, so I don't know why it was so fast.

OK mmm... I appliedon December 1st (limit for international applicants) but I guess that internationalapplicants are more complicated to evaluate... :P thnx btw...

I applied to Boulder, Carnegie Mellon and Stanford all MS.

So far, I've been accepted to Boulder with the funding decision still to come, and Carnegie Mellon with no funding.

I'm still waiting to hear from Stanford, but Boulder and Stanford were my top choices.

Anyone going to the CMU MS CEE Admit weekend??

I am not sure if the adcom read this board, but if they do, it might hurt your chances at Stanford :o but there is no doubt that crappy economy factored in my decision to go to grad school as well lol. btw I go to Fresno St, we're like neighbors

That would be sneaky, wouldn't it? I should also mention that there are many great reasons that I want to go to grad school, and having a boring job that was killing the spark within my soul is what caused me to look into grad school... to study and then DO exactly what I am passionate about. I want to grab ahold of my future and make it what I want it to be. So I am very excited about grad school, and I also want to be a professor someday. It's not just a filler until the economy turns around. smile.gif

just experience the main reason for my graduate degree.... an 8.8 Richterdegree earthquake...

wow, i hope u get into stanford,berkeley. the west coast is best for earthquake engineering since the north east doesn't really teach earthquake design in a serious way 'cos earthquakes are rare.

Anyone going to the CMU MS CEE Admit weekend??

Got admitted into the M.S. program with partial fundings. Still left with about sixty percent of the thirty-five grands tuition to be covered by myself.

Declined the offer therefore. Should have at least visited the place before declining it.

wow, i hope u get into stanford,berkeley . the west coast is best for earthquake engineering since the north east doesn't really teach earthquake design in a serious way 'cos earthquakes are rare.

thats were I want to head...

I got admitted into University of Michigan MS (Structures) and Cornell MEng

(Structures)....

Can someone please compare these 2 universities???

I don't know both universities, but if you look at different rankings, I think that Cornell is better than University of Michigan (at Ann Harbor ?) in overall reputation.

This is an opinion only based on rankings (somewhat controversial).

To choose well, you need to find the program where you think you will fit the best, the place where you'd rather be for 1 or 2 years, and financial consideration (such as funding) can also influence your decision.

And you should also decide if you'd prefer a MS or a Meng...

Edited by Moghi

I got admitted into University of Michigan MS (Structures) and Cornell MEng

(Structures)....

Can someone please compare these 2 universities???

Hmmm...you can't go wrong with either. It seems that Cornell does more research with materials and modeling. I only applied to Michigan because concrete legend Antoine Naaman is a professor there(retired????) and they do a lot of research with concrete.

@ Moghi and s1u8n: yes U Michigan Ann Arbor and Prof. Antoine Naaman has retired but they still have very good concrete research...

Actually I am planning to do a job after graduation as of now...

can you please compare both univ. in terms of job opportunities after graduation, location wise, chances of getting funding, considering Meng in Cornell and MS in U Michigan? how much should the ivy league status of Cornell matter while making my final decision?

Edited by msincivil

@ Moghi and s1u8n: yes U Michigan Ann Arbor and Prof. Antoine Naaman has retired but they still have very good concrete research...

can you please compare both univ. in terms of job opportunities after graduation, location wise, chances of getting funding, considering Meng in Cornell and MS in U Michigan? how much should the ivy league status of Cornell matter while making my final decision?

hi msincivil,

when did u get ur cornell decision? was it an email or snail mail?

hi msincivil,

when did u get ur cornell decision? was it an email or snail mail?

i received my decision in first week of february....

offer letter was send through email and snail mail both...

best of luck to you...

i received my decision in first week of february....

offer letter was send through email and snail mail both...

best of luck to you...

hey msincivil,

thanks. it's so weird. a prof. emailed me(in response to a question i sent him) and said that the structures group will admit me(his exact words:doesn't that sound like i'm in?). but it's been three weeks, no email, no snail mail and i've called and the lady said i should wait for another week. i'm applying for a fellowship and the deadline for it is march 15th so i really need to hear from cornell. i'm so much in anguish. it's weird.

Edited by engines10

If you're an international, it can be normal to have a huge delay before receiving your letter.

Guess what ? Today I just received a letter from ETS saying they had finally sent my results to an organisation. I asked for it 4 months ago, on the day of my test (well, it was on a paper sheet, but still...).

If you're an international, it can be normal to have a huge delay before receiving your letter.

Guess what ? Today I just received a letter from ETS saying they had finally sent my results to an organisation. I asked for it 4 months ago, on the day of my test (well, it was on a paper sheet, but still...).

i hope so. but i should've received an email by now. i'm worried that i may have been rejected.

hey msincivil,

thanks. it's so weird. a prof. emailed me(in response to a question i sent him) and said that the structures group will admit me(his exact words:doesn't that sound like i'm in?). but it's been three weeks, no email, no snail mail and i've called and the lady said i should wait for another week. i'm applying for a fellowship and the deadline for it is march 15th so i really need to hear from cornell. i'm so much in anguish. it's weird.

Why don't you send an e-mail to the prof., explain your situation and ask him if you are really admitted and why then you didn't receive anything... Can you quote exactly what he told you in context ?

Also, perhaps you didn't get the fellowship and that's why you weren't contacted sooner (I'm only guessing here, don't get all stressed-up), but you're still admitted...

Why don't you send an e-mail to the prof., explain your situation and ask him if you are really admitted and why then you didn't receive anything... Can you quote exactly what he told you in context ?

Also, perhaps you didn't get the fellowship and that's why you weren't contacted sooner (I'm only guessing here, don't get all stressed-up), but you're still admitted...

"The structural engineering group will admit you to the MEng program" was what he said. he then told me about the nature of the program etc. the fellowship is from my town's charity fund. nothing related to cornell. so i guess i'll email the prof. tomorrow. I'm just confused.

go to Cornell.

is anyone going to Virginia tech,Cornell or Purdue for phd or master's in structures? i'm seriously considering them. i don't like the location for each but i like the programs.

Edited by rev IT