Calling All SLP's!

I used CSDCAS to apply to BU and I hated it. It took them forever to do anything and they kept messing things up. I had requested they send my app to BU on 1/1. They finally sent it on 2/24. I can't help but think this might have been why I was WL at BU. When I called BU to get my result and told the secretary my name she said "oh yeah, I remember you, your application was really late, right?"

Of course BU claims that had no effect on its decision.

Oh wow! Sorry to hear that... I wonder why it took so long? I did hate how it basically took an extra 4 weeks for the application to go through, but almost 2 months for yours is ridiculous!

I was confused by CSDCAS. Also, it was extra expensive and I feel like I filled out the exact same information I gave to the regular application anyway. What a ripoff. It could be useful one day, but right now I'm not very impressed.

Omg I haaaated CSDCAS. It was super expensive and they took like 6 weeks to mail out my applications (which made them late -- one school by a week and the other by at least two). They also managed to screw up my GPA calculations and didn't respond to my emails until AFTER they already mailed everything out. Ugh. Hopefully the schools will be able to see past all that but I really doubt they will :-(.

Yeah, I didn't get that they took so freaking long to process my CSDCAS. I kinda thought the advantage of the online application would be that the information would be quickly processed. Mine was also sent out way past the due date and I got accepted to both U of I-UC and ISU so I'm assuming others had this problem. Also, it's so expensive! Really such a scam. The GRE is enough of a scam, now we have this b.s. nonfunctional common application too. I like it in theory, obviously. But charging so much per school when I'm basically sending the schools almost the exact information I put on the CSDCAS? Lame.

Yes CSDCAS was a horrible system. Some schools required you to fill out the application on their website in addition to the CSDCAS application so you ended up paying two application fees. Res2135 I am in the same boat as you. I got waitlisted from BU and I feel like it was because of an incorrect GPA calculation by that system. The worst part of that application process was how you had to enter every single class you took in your college career!

Got a letter from Montevallo today. Waitlisteddddd. Grr.

I just called the Graduate Studies office and the woman was a biotch. Evidently she couldn't understand my "accent" (I live in the Northeast). I literally had to talk to her like she was deaf- really slow and somewhat loud. Then she said "Did you apply to the speech pathology program? You need to talk to them". Click. I wanted to call back and be like "Listen lady. I might be the 1,000th person to call you today but there is no need to be snarky" (then hang up on her). :P

Edited by khamylak

Hey I was wondering if we may be able to post stats and then acceptances/rejections so the rest of us can know our odds too?

I'm in my senior year at a top tier school (not an Ivy) -3.53 GPA in last 2 years. 3.8 overall. (I transferred schools and did poorly my first year as a transfer)

-Ling/Psych major who specialized in Neuroscience..non SLP may hurt my chances

-no published materials but have been working as an RA for about a year.

-I'm a live-in employee for students with developmental disabilites (I also happen to specialize in language issues of the developmentally disabled)

-paltry..beyond abismal GRE score

-have been teaching and substitute teaching in Special Education classrooms for about 3 years now

applied to:

NYU

TC Columbia

San Diego State University

Gallaudet

UT Austin

Got an interview with NYU but cannot go, so we're currently trying to schedule a phone interview. Have heard nothing from anyone else. It's beyond stressful.

good luck all!

You most likely have a fantastic chance with your background for the SDSU program. Can't speak for the rest of them, but based on many people I know that have gone through SDSU, you seem like an ideal candidate.

Also, believe it or not, I've been told by many admissions counselors, professors, etc. that individuals that do NOT have a heavy SLP background are appealing to graduate study programs. Best of luck!

has anyone heard from UT Austin? They were supposed to release decisions this week and it's driving me mad

As far as I know, UT Austin has not sent out their decisions yet. I'm actually currently a student at UT, and one of my professors told my class the other day that she thinks decisions will be mailed out at the end of this week. Hopefully we will find out soon, it is driving me absolutely nuts as well!

Good luck!

Here is the list of places I applied:

University of Texas at Dallas: Admitted

University of Houston: I got a "scholarship interview invitation" from them last week, but I'm not sure whether that means I got in. Did anyone else apply to U of H? If so, did you get an invite to the scholarship thing as well? I can't seem to find anyone else on this website that applied there...

Vanderbilt: Rejected

University of Texas at Austin: Still waiting...

TC Columbia: Still waiting...

Texas Christian University: Still waiting, but I have basically already crossed it off my list since I got in to UT Dallas, which was one of my top choices and seems to have a much stronger program than TCU

Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard anything from RUSH yet? Also, does anyone know how they're notifying everyone about their decisions??

Haven't heard from Rush yet either! I've crossed them off my list because I already accepted my admission offer from Northwestern, but I'd still like to know if I got into rush or not!

Just got back from my NYU interview- it was a 5 minute, 2 question group interview with two other people. Nothing to be worried about at all. In case anyone was lurking and wondering :)

Did anyone else almost experience a heart attack from that TC e-mail about the committee experiencing a delay in notification of decisions? I seriously thought it was a rejection e-mail from the first few lines of reading it!

I woke up this morning to the email from TC and also almost had an anxiety attack! I just want to know alreadytongue.gif

Has anyone else NOT heard from Northwestern? I saw people posting today that more decisions are up, but I STILL have nothingunsure.gif

anyone else underwhelmed by the nyu group interviews? ours was later in the day and because it was raining, they canceled the campus tour so we left after being there for only an hour. faculty and grad students were nice and it seemed like a lot of stuff was going on there, but i didn't feel like i "connected" with the program. oh, and apparently this is the 4th or 5th year that they've been doing these interviews. i feel kinda bad for the people that flew out to NYC for this, especially since they didn't seem to write anything down during the actual interviews and everything was sooo nonchalant.

Did anyone else almost experience a heart attack from that TC e-mail about the committee experiencing a delay in notification of decisions? I seriously thought it was a rejection e-mail from the first few lines of reading it!

haha, yeah, seriously. their subject line should have been a little more informative.

Edited by remixed486

Has anyone else NOT heard from Northwestern? I saw people posting today that more decisions are up, but I STILL have nothingunsure.gif

I still haven't heard from Northwestern, either! I wish they would quit playing games with my heart, because it's about to kill me!

I haven't heard from Northwestern either..and I keep checking the website compulsively! lol I agree about the NYU interview it was much less intense than I expected and I feel bad for the people that flew across the country to be asked two questions.

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum and I'm glad that I'm not the only one checking my online status every minute. (Just in case they posted the result 1 second after I logged-off).

So far here are my results:

Accepted: Boston University, Emerson College

Rejected: MGH IHP

Waiting: Columbia TC, Northwestern, University of Washington (Post Bac Program)

My undergrad background is actually in Electrical Engineering so my GPA is sub par (3.4) compared to what I've seen in grad school requirements (3.6). I'm hoping that they'll realize that it's just impossible to get a GPA above a 3.5 :)

To people who are waiting for U of Washington, good luck! I went there for my undergrad and currently taking prereq classes and it's such a great program! I love the professors and the clinic is just next door where the grad students have complete control (w/ supervision of course) of their patients. If only they'd let me start grad school right away instead of applying for Post Bac first, it will be my top choice.

I also got the Columbia email last night and I thought I was rejected from the first 2 sentences! I almost fainted!

Good luck to everyone and just maybe, we'll meet in real life someday :D

~k

Hi Everyone,

I'm also waiting to hear from Northwestern. I emailed to ask when I should expect notification and the director responded that I would hear by the end of March. I haven't applied to any other schools, so if I don't get into NW or don't get a scholarship, I may wait and apply to other schools next year. Does anyone have any idea how decisions are made and how funding works at NW?

Also, to those who've been admitted to MGH, congratulations first of all. If you don't mind, could you please share your stats? I'd like to know if I'm competitive for acceptance and for a scholarship. I visited MGH last year and really liked the school. If I don't go to NW, I will definitely try for MGH next year.

Thanks for your input.

um, YES. I usually don't freak out easily, and I almost fell out of my chair when I got it because I was certain it was a tacky random rejection rather than a "check your application" email when I first started reading...goodness!! Glad to know I wasn't alone! haha :)

I heard from U. Nevada Reno yesterday. The letter was addressed to Hillary X... my name is Victoria X. Praying Hillary got rejected and there is still hope for me. Not likely, but optimism is all I have at the moment. :rolleyes: