UGA - University of Georgia

healthcomm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! It's not officially official for me yet (haven't sent offer acceptances/rejections to my schools) but I'm 95% sure I'll be at UGA in the Fall. I'll be in the Odum School of Ecology as a PhD student.

So excited about the move to Athens! Do any of you have ideas for where you want to live yet?

Hello! It's not officially official for me yet (haven't sent offer acceptances/rejections to my schools) but I'm 95% sure I'll be at UGA in the Fall. I'll be in the Odum School of Ecology as a PhD student.

So excited about the move to Athens! Do any of you have ideas for where you want to live yet?

Hi, afritz87 - I've been investigating a lot of different options. There seems to be a lot of people who are looking at the 5 points area. The main thing I've heard is to avoid the undergrad heavy communities. If you have a car, life may be a little easier, but the bus system seems to be pretty good. Check out the Athens, GA thread in the City Guide and you'll see a lot more recommendations.

• 2 months later...

Before I forget for the umpteenth time. Mark your calendars! The UGA Graduate School Orientation is scheduled for August 11 from 9-11. It will be held at the Classic Center on Thomas St (downtown). Dean Grasso usually has a few opening remarks and there are a number of short presentations to familiarize incoming graduate students with important deadlines and services. Interspersed between the speakers will be door prizes (usually freebies from local restaurants and shops). Then the information fair will begin and you'll find more information than you ever dreamed available. We'll have reps on hand for everything from transportation to housing to financial aid and even the UGA golf course. You should get an email within the next month or so with a link to register for the event (it's free and you get freebies!). Keep an eye on http://grad.uga.edu/orientation/ for more information as we get it posted.

Edited by dacey

About how many new graduate students does UGA typically get each year?

I'll double check with my boss tomorrow to see if the incoming numbers are available. Last year, we had around 400 at the orientation alone (and not all new students attend since it's not required). I want to say the recent figure I read said that 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 students at UGA is a graduate student.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use