A calling to all BME FALL 2008 Applicants:):)

crossedfingers

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hug: are you an international applicant? Good luck with the interview

Yes and no... Im a U.S. citizen but have lived in New Zealand for the past 10 years. The professor is supposed to call me on Friday to talk further about my app. Looking at the Duke website I would probably then still have to go for an interview in person...

hey hugs: Keep us posted about your Duke Interview!

I will, it's coming up in an hour. I'd rather not say who it's with though just for my own privacy, but I will post some details later.

hey guys

I need some advice here. one prof. said that he like my work and think i will be a good fit for his lab, but he is not involved in the admissions process. what do you think i should do?

I think if the prof really wants you then he'll get involved in the admissions process. You have to remember these departments aren't really that big, so everyone knows everyone... i.e. all the prof really has to do is mention you to someone with more influence on who is admitted. So I'd say keep at it and hopefully he'll pull some strings behind the scenes.

It went OK... it was a bit difficult talking myself up on the phone and I'm not sure I made that good of an impression. We talked for some time about his research and my interests. He seemed reasonably enthusiastic but didn't give too much away about my chances... will have to wait and see I guess.

did you talk to anyone in BU at all? are you an international student?

I did. The person there said that they have not yet finished looking at applications and I should probably hear back from the committee in mid Feb. ( i dont know if this means they speeded the process, last yr a friend I know did not hear back till 2nd week March with an admit) I am an international applicant, but got my ChE degree from the US.

the admit is definitely a relief, although I do hope to hear from other schools. Any luck at ure end?

It actually doesn't matter whether you put in the application early or just before the deadline. They get sent to the department at the same time. Well... I am not hearing anything from Duke as well! A bit nerve wrecking too, but will post something immediately when I hear something..

yeh i know, next week i feel the emails will begin pouring in. Rejections or otherwise. i wish they would do it sooner. I was looking at some old results posted on youster and it seems like BME acceptances are dispersed between end of Janurary to first week of March. Its definetely a long run, wish there was something to do in the waiting process. I cant really concentrate on school work any more, just a little oblivious to undergrad work now!!!

miketakena, where all did u apply? have u heard back?

yeh i know, next week i feel the emails will begin pouring in. Rejections or otherwise. i wish they would do it sooner. I was looking at some old results posted on youster and it seems like BME acceptances are dispersed between end of Janurary to first week of March. Its definetely a long run, wish there was something to do in the waiting process. I cant really concentrate on school work any more, just a little oblivious to undergrad work now!!!

miketakena, where all did u apply? have u heard back?

I applied to Duke, Hopkins, UT Austin, Princeton, U of Minnesota (TC) and MIT. I am waiting for the interview invite from Duke, which my potential advisor asked whether I have received it... I think I am in!! but need official confirmation.

Otherwise, no official news from all

I'm also applying to Ph.D. programs in bioengineering/biomedical engineering. I'm pretty disappointed that I haven't heard back from Purdue. I guess that's a bad sign, huh? :( I thought I had a good chance of getting in there. I wonder what it was about my app that fell short.

I got a cryptic email from Case Western last week saying that my application was "favorably reviewed" and that information about the Open House would follow. I guess I'm not in, but I've made the first cut?

It also looks like some people have heard back from Northwestern's program. No word there either. On the other hand, at least I haven't had any outright rejections. Anyone else feeling like they're descending into grad school application limbo?

Accepted: University of Alabama - Birmingham

Rejected: none

Still waiting: Case Western Reserve University, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Northwestern University, Boston University, Purdue University

I got a cryptic email from Case Western last week saying that my application was "favorably reviewed" and that information about the Open House would follow. I guess I'm not in, but I've made the first cut?

Sounds like an invite to me. I received a call where the person said I had been admitted, and an email would follow. The email said, " my application had been favorably reviewed" . I think by wording it in this weird fashion what they mean is: the department has sent ure recommendations to the graduate school. its upto them to send you an admit. Usually they always do. Have you receive information on the Open House yet? That would be a sure give away. Especially if they are paying for your trip there.

It seems like MIT and UCSD have finally begun their calls. I wish the rest would STEP UP! this whole process is getting really nerve wrecking

miketakena: did u hear back for an interview from the prof u were talking about?