All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I'm just really trying not to think about it at all. But it's getting hard!
  3. Congratulations!!!! It was a journey but you deserve this!
  4. Nothing yet for bio but the panels are April 25/26 and May 9/10 so I'm not surprised. Last submission round I didn't hear until December which was a month before the next submission deadline and I was right in the middle of fundability (medium competitive) so I assume if you are not an immediate no or yes you wont hear for a while. Please let me know if you hear anything!
  5. Today
  6. I applied for fine arts! My question: Is Yale’s tuition fee about $46,000 per year? If my info is correct, I think it seems reasonable compared to other schools.
  7. Congrats!!! I'm glad there is a happy ending to the story. Best of luck with everything!
  8. Hi😃 what department did you apply for? and you mean reapply for Yale?
  9. Undergrad Institution: Top Public U Major(s): Statistics & CS Minor(s): GPA: 3.97 Type of Student: International Male GRE General Test: Honestly didn't submit to many schools and don't think it matters that much for me. Around 94% and 85% for Q/V. TOEFL Score: Not relevant Grad Institution: Top 10 Private School Concentration: Statistics GPA: 3.97 Programs Applying: Statistics & Data Science Research Experience: A few (listed by importance) (1) External research with Ivy professor in an empirical science on AI4Science. (2) In-school thesis research with stat/applied math professor on MCMC. (3) Various undergrad reading programs in approximate Bayesian inference (variational inference, prob ML, etc.) Awards/Honors/Recognitions: a bunch of normal titles. The only notable one is the department citation (speaker at commencement) for undergrad. Pertinent Activities or Jobs: a few during undergrad and none during master. Also served as a course instructor for a seminar course. Letters of Recommendation: 3-4 letters depending on the school. One letter from each of the (1)/(2) research mentioned above. One letter from an undergrad big-name professor who knows me decently well but interestingly not through academics (more like running clubs & administrative stuff). One letter from a prof I've taken a course with and got good grades (didn't submit for schools with no connection to him). Math/Statistics Grades: a bunch of standard stat courses + concentrations on Bayesian stat & statistical learning courses. Math courses involve 2 semesters of analysis and Ph.D.-level stochastic calculus. Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have a decent publication history on conferences/workshops and the topics are pretty trendy. Don't think it helps a lot. Applying to Where: Only mention the accepted: TL;DR I got into the 2 dream programs (TOP 5 in Stat as well), and got rejected by some "safety schools" lol School - UChicago Data Science Ph.D. (New program) - Committed School - Columbia Statistics Ph.D. - Declined School - UC Davis Statistics Ph.D. - Declined School - UCSB Statistics Ph.D. - Declined A note on UChicago DSI: IMO it's a super attractive program for Statistics applicants. Designed as 50% stat + 50% cs, the bottom line is that you can find mentorship from any faculty in the stat department and do it similar to a normal stat Ph.D. (maybe in terms of entering academia there's a slight difference due to title). The funding structure and first-year requirement are much more flexible (no QE, encouraged to "rotate" across mentors/labs, etc.). (If you read through my post until here, lots of thanks for your attention! As I feel super indebted to many people who helped me through my application process, I'm trying to give others a hand as well. I'm specifically thinking about hosting 30-minute online Q & A sessions if you are a Stat/DS applicant in Fall 2025. You can try to follow the link here)
  10. Hi~ 😀 This time, Parsons costs about $59,000 per year, while Columbia's tuition is around $74,722 per year. As for Yale, Is the tuition $46,870 per year? (Rejected) I'm hesitating to enroll due to significant difference in tuition. I mean ..next year reapply
  11. Hey! I've spoken to a few people who are finishing/ed the program at McGill and they are monolingual, English-speaking. They told me that there are fewer opportunities for them to do their clinical placements because they are not bilingual, so they cannot do it in a place like a hospital or a school.
  12. I'm still waiting for YorkU MSW 2 years program result... anyone?
  13. Is anyone holding onto a Columbia Fiction acceptance that they have no intention of attending? If so, I know someone (Me) who is eagerly trying to get off the waitlist and attend this fall <333 Hope everyone is getting into their dream schools!
  14. As someone from Montreal, the city is absolutely beautiful! There's so much culture here and most people I run into are very nice and welcoming. If you're worried about speaking French, I wouldn't be too much. You'll mostly be downtown I'm assuming where pretty much everywhere you go people are bilingual Hope this helps!
  15. I'm glad they filled their cohort. And now for UCR. I know it's stupid, but i feel like this leg of the journey isn't over until I get it. maybe it's because I kept telling everyone to hang in until the end. That or I lived with so much anxiety for so long I don't know how to live without it.
  16. When did you apply? NIH is usually rolling admissions but I heard they still take people up until the summer! Good luck Hopefully you get some good news soon!
  17. Yesterday
  18. That's very helpful! I'm living in Calgary right now, but I'm from a smaller town in BC and even Calgary is a lot for me at times haha. So thank you for mentioning that as something to consider!
  19. Yea it's annoying that they don't send updates Only way to know the status of your application is to call or email them. That is what I have been doing. I would rather know I got rejected than keep waiting for nothing!!!
  20. I can’t speak specifically to the schools and the programs but I like London as a city more compared to Montreal. I’m from Edmonton and find Montreal way busier and the commuting around London is a lot easier. Montreal is way more of a “city” vibe though if that’s what you’re going for. That’s just my opinion though! I know the academic piece of it is super important but it’s also important to consider the city since you will be living there for two years !!
  21. Same. That's about all she wrote except for the enduring silence from UCR.
  22. Been trying real hard to not think about it but I fear the next week will just be me consistently on edge waiting for an email to come through. So might as well chime in on the thread!
  23. I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling anxious!
  24. Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into the experiences between McGill and Western. I got off the waitlist for McGill (and accepted) but have recently been offered a spot off of the Western waitlist. Now I'm trying to decide between the two (and I have less than a day to respond!). I don't speak French so that makes me nervous about McGill (but maybe it shouldn't?) Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or insight, thank you!
  25. Dear all, I'm thrilled to share with you that I've been accepted to CU Boulder! Thank you all immensely for your unwavering support throughout this time. I wish you the best, and perhaps our paths will cross someday. Take care. GO BUFFS! 🖤
  26. Finally got my USF rejection email from John Lennon (holy shit!?). He said that they filled their cohort. At least, for fiction.
  27. Dal has around 35 seats for both programs...that's a 7% acceptance rate 🥲 Someone could've legit been top 10% of applicants but still not have gotten in So another reminder that an acceptance does not define your worth! Doesnt matter if, next year, you're attending an SLP/Audio program, improving your application or discovering a new path, either way, you'll continue to grow and learn as a person! It's all part of the process, its never the end, just one path of many ❤️
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use