All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi all, I'm applying to PhD programs for entrance Fall 2020. I'm in the process of narrowing down which programs best suit my research interests, but even after viewing faculty research profiles and general descriptions, I'm having trouble parsing the finer details of each choice from this readily available info, such as, what's it like to be a student there? How strong is their research in the areas I'm interested in? Etc. My research goal has been the same for the past 20 years: to find a cure for HIV infection... or a vaccine... eventually, both. I had the idea as an undergraduate when I studied Immunology and also took several Calculus courses. I thought, why not approach a cure or vaccine from a mathematical standpoint? What if the biological problem of random mutation (and other issues making HIV hard to eradicate in the body) could be modeled mathematically, then computational methods (data science) and new engineering techniques (such as CRISP-R) could be applied to come up with a solution, or at least a more detailed description of the problem? Giving this info as background to help clarify what I'm looking for, and what programs may be a good fit. Also, in the event that a cure and vaccine are developed, I am still very interested in applying the same principle (mathematical modeling of biological systems and pathology to aid in development of disease treatments) to other areas of medicine. I have a B.S. in Molecular Biology from Vanderbilt ('01), and an M.A. in Biostatistics from UC Berkeley ('12). I'm a white female, 40 years old - kindly asking please no disparaging comments on my age, I don't care so much that I'm ancient compared to many applicants! I won't go into the finer details of my background, because in this post I am interested in which program would truly be a good research fit, not my chances of getting in (I'll cross that bridge when I come it it - suffice to say, I have the basic prerequisites to apply to all of these programs). I have good research experience, wrote a paper on it for publication (not published... long story), have worked in the health sciences and data science & analytics since I graduated from Berkeley, did outreach work for people living with HIV/AIDS in college, am generally a humanitarian type with a curious, scientific mind, and I LOVE math. Did one year of med school before dropping out due to a serious illness in my early 20's. Since I'm more research-focused, I'd like to get a Ph.D. or an MD/PhD (but, I'd really like to avoid taking the MCAT again, TBH). The programs I'm curious about are: 1) Harvard-MIT MEMP (this seems a great fit to me, very interested in Arup Chakraborty's work as well as Bruce Walker's) 2) Stanford Biomedical Informatics - seems to be the right program at Stanford for what I'm after, but I also looked at Bioengineering and Immunology... anyone's opinion on these and their fit with my research goals is most welcome! 3) Harvard BIG or BBS - they both look awesome, I can't tell which is a better fit, but possibly BIG... though I like the sound of the interdisciplinary nature of BBS and how much students seem to love that program. That said, the research fit is really the crucial piece. These are the ones I've looked at but have been unable to really tell which is the best fit. I mention Harvard-MIT MEMP because it seems so ideal for my goals, but I just learned about the program this past year, so I'm curious if anyone has been more involved in it and/or knows what it's like to be a grad student there. Thank you whoever read this whole thing for your help, I truly appreciate it!! If anyone is a current or past student in any of these programs, I would love to get your perspective. Also, if anyone is a student in a program that would be a great fit based on my research interests, I'd also love to hear about it.
  3. Personally I think trying to get an impressive score on the subject test is an utter waste of time. Get that verbal score up, but mostly focus on producing the absolute best SOP and WS you can. Good luck to you!!!
  4. Narrative Nancy

2020 Applicants

So have Vanderbilt and Pittsburgh! And I think it's now optional at Boston University
  5. That makes total sense, the logistics and expenses are a huge factor No prob, wish you the best!
  6. Today
  7. Does anyone know if the Dallas campus got approved yet??
  8. StructureD

Visual Artist with an MA in Art History?

I struggled with this throughout my first semester and sadly, had to give up my art practice. I too was in a number of arts admin jobs and wanted something better (cataloguing at a major auction house). I had started a photo project in 2017 that was difficult to fit into my schedule between class, commuting, and trying to find funding for my work. I'm hopeful that on the other side of this I'll land a job that will give me enough downtime to go back to making art. I don't know how reliant you are on your work to make a living, but if you are in a position (financially, emotionally) where you can set it aside for a few years, it doesn't mean it's over entirely. I'm confident there will be time after one's studies. Good luck!
  9. Hi, due to delays in getting my financial aid I’ve been locked out of Research Methods which appears to only be available in the Fall. I’m assuming it’s a waste to take on any electives if I don’t have that course under my belt? I did take one course in the Spring and did well. I just figure if I don’t have the basics down I’ll be struggling more than I need to for another year. Many thanks!
  10. IrisR

Grant Writing For Artists

I am going into my second year for my MFA in studio arts at SACI Florence. I am looking into grants and how to write a good grant proposal. One book I bought on Grant Writing focus is on non-profit and has limited information for an artist. " The Only Grant-Writing Book you'll ever need" is not at all the last I need. The books I find on Amazon are dated. (10 + years old) Has anyone here ventured into grant writing as an individual artist? I am looking for a recommendation on resources which help me write grants as an individual artist. Thanks
  11. IrisR

MFA over 50

Martini, that is good to know thank you for chiming in.
  12. MARYAM_N

DAAD Helmut Schmidt Programme 2020

Hi. I am applying for DAAD Helmut Schmidt Programme 2020. Thank you for starting this thread. BEST OF LUCK! 🙂
  13. LeonardHaggin

Writing Grad School Essays - Market Research Question

Great idea, good luck with that! I'd like to add a nice guide which can be helpful: https://studypreplounge.com/college-prep/how-to-write-an-argumentative-essay/ It's quite easier when you follow the guide step by step so that you know exactly what to focus on.
  14. Hi all, Anyone has information on which universities in the USA that admit students with a GRE score of less than 300 into its PhD in Business/Management program? I have taken GRE several times and my latest GRE score is only 305. (Quantitative 148, Verbal 155). (GRE is US205 converted into my currency in Indonesian rupiah.. it's more than 2 millions) Universities do not mention their minimum GRE but some professors told me that when they review, they will put aside those whose GRE is not competitive. Although I have publications and research experiences, I was rejected by Minnesota, Iowa, MSU, etc. (fall 2019 admission) and have spent a few hundreds dollars for admission fees. I also have a PhD in Education (from ISU) but I'd like to take another PhD which will be in Business/ Management, so that I have a linear degrees (my Master is in Management/MBA). I'm from Indonesia and the linearity of graduate degrees is required to become a professor (or even get hired as a lecturer). Any help/thoughts are appreciated.. Thanks.
  15. Hi everyone! I'm new here (pls be gentle😢). I know alot of people on here ask "what are my chances," but I'd really appreciate the feedback! I've become really passionate about pursuing speech-language pathology and want to start applying for grad programs fall this year. However, I don't know anyone who wants to be a SLP (except for one girl who has very different circumstances) and don't really know what to expect. I plan on applying mostly to graduate schools in NYC, but am open to other schools relatively close. So far I plan on applying to NYU, CUNY (Hunter, Queens, Lehman), St Johns, Teachers College, Baylors and Touro. So here's what I'm working with when it comes to my stats! - I'm a psych major with a current GPA of 3.8 (I still have 2 semesters left to complete my undergraduate degree but I don't expect my GPA to change since I've gotten my difficult classes out of the way lol) - My relevant experience involves over a year of working at a nonprofit for people with Autism Spectrum Disorder, a few months of volunteering at an aphasia community group, and alot of teaching. - I have some research experience! Although, it's for other topics in psychology, I feel like being comfortable with research is at least good to mention? - My recommendation letters are pretty good, and one will be very strong (I've become close to my supervisor at the nonprofit). - I consider writing to be one of my strong suits so I'm not too worried about my narrative statement. Will be taking the GRE soon, so I don' t have those scores! CONS: I'm a New York resident applying to New York schools, but I've heard that apparently grad programs like taking out-of-state students because of the $$? Yikes😥 I also don't have shadowing experience and I'm not sure if it's a priority for me to get that done. ALSO, because my university doesn't have a communicative sciences and disorders major or related classes, I took all my prerequisites at 2 different online schools. My grades in those classes are good, but will getting prereqs done online be looked down upon? Any advice and general comments would be super appreciated!! Good luck to everyone else and their studies😊
  16. _a_c_i_d_r_a_i_n_

MoMA and/or Whitney internships

Is this for the MoMA 12 month Internship? Did anyone hear anything about the Modern Women’s Fund Internship at MoMA?
  17. _a_c_i_d_r_a_i_n_

MoMA 12-month internships 2019

Has anyone heard anything yet? I'd applied for the Modern Women’s Fund Internship. Nothing yet! I'm also an international applicant and I've heard the visa process takes a lot of time. Should I be hopeful?
  18. Y'all, are you feeling lost and overwhelmed about the thought of writing a grad school essay? Are you just ready to start grad school but don’t know how to get past the hurdle of writing that dreaded essay, so you can apply? Not sure where to begin or if you even have a story worth telling? If this sounds familiar, I’d love to chat with you for 20 minutes, so I can ask you some market research questions. As a practicing attorney, I have published in academic and trade journals, and have helped individuals that were getting rejection letters craft personal statements, or statements of purpose that finally got them into grad school. In return for your time, I will provide the following for FREE: short step by step guide to get the ideas out of your head and on paper; 3 key ways to craft your story so your “normal” life reads like the page of a best-selling novel; a read through and mark up of your first draft, so you can feel comfortable and confident submitting those applications. DM me if you’re available and I'll set up a time so we can chat. Thank you!
  19. Hello all, I am a student from Vietnam who is planning to apply for PhD at a US grad school in 2020 (PhD starts in 2021). I have a prof who is my advisor both in my scientific projects and thesis so it is quite certain that one of my LoRs be from him. However it seems like he is not a good recommender. Recently I asked him to write for me a LoR for a merit-based prize that was relatively small but required a LoR. He said he did not have time so he told me to write it and email him the letter (guess this happens in a lot of Asian countries). I tried to make the letter as specific as possible; I looked for good, detailed sample letters on the Internet. After I sent him the letter for checking all he did was deleting every single detail I added and I can only say that the modified letter looked exactly as my CV: simply listing out what I did but actually with no in-depth information! It was like "This student's project was 'name' " and that's it! For a small-scale prize like that one this actually was not really a serious minus but for grad school application I know this kind of LoR will make me rejected by every school I apply to. But it is difficult to find another LoR writer as this prof is my advisor so he "is supposed to" know me the best. What should I do in this situation? Thank you
  20. I'm planning on joining the Peace Corps after undergrad, but when I come back (after a little over 2 years), I think I'll want to go to grad school. Has anyone else done this? Would this seriously damage my chances of getting into grad school, since I won't be doing research during my Peace Corps tour?
  21. I am actually considering to graduate a semester earlier. The thing is math department in my school is small, so there are not many stats faculty and most of them are taking a sabbatical next semester/year. Thus, the stats class in spring is not promised to be there, and mostly they offer more pure math and cs courses. In my situation, I am not willing to take more intro class in some other departments since I already took a bunch of them.... Also, it is a huge waste of money for my parents. Anyway, I am more than excited to apply UCB's MS just because I am more willing to deal with quantitative staff and willing to get in PhD program in the future! I think I will apply this year and see if I can get in some program! Again, thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it!
  22. Hi there, you're welcome, happy to help... yeah I think the average GPAs are a bit scary to look at - there will be some people with 3.9-4.0 GPAs, but that brings the average way up, so there are likely many below that. Plus, they do look at the overall application. UCB MPH is maybe less competitive, but when I was there, it seemed they didn't take a lot of classes with us. There was some overlap, but that program was much less math-heavy. Also, the benefit of the Biostatistics program is the close relationship with Berkeley's Statistics department. It's easy to get teaching jobs in the Stats department, which gives you funding, and they are very nice. I loved that aspect of Berkeley Biostats. That is just my experience and preference - it really depends on how quantitative you want your classes and research to be. Not sure what your situation is, but if you could take a year to finish some of those prerequisites and apply next year, I would do that. It's just another year, goes by quickly, then you've opened up so many options. I don't know how online courses are viewed, so you'd have to ask the admissions people in each department, but I took a course in C programming online so I could satisfy a prerequisite. Either way, I really think taking a long shot and applying to some top-notch places even if you think the chances are slim, is a really good idea. You never know.
  23. Thank you so much for your response. I have look at some forums and I have checked the UCB's website, they said the average GPA of students admitted was around 3.75, so I was shocked. I am still considering whether should I apply UCB's mph because it is somehow less competitive. And for Harvard, I think I could not meet the prerequisite and so does Brown and Emory. Harvard requires a class of numerical analysis, which will only be offered at spring in my school. Emroy wants at least b+ at linear algebra, and a 3.5 or higher overall gpa. Brown wants a class of probability, which will only be offered at spring too. Do you think I should take some online courses to meet the prerequisite, or would that be weak to admissions?
  24. Yesterday
  25. Hi there, I graduated from UC Berkeley's masters program in Biostatistics in 2012. From what you have posted, you seem to me to be more than fine to apply. I had a very similar GPA - my overall GPA was 3.51, and I think it was 3.7 or 3.75 in my math classes. I don't think it's a problem at all that you had a low GPA your first semester in college. I got a C in a prerequisite math class, that I retook and still only ended up with a B+, and I got in. I know that Berkeley looks a lot at the GRE score (told to me by a student when I applied) - they said it's a good indicator of success. I had a 780/800 in the quant section in the old version of the test. Looking at a conversion scale, I guess that's a 163 in the current version, though I know they decided to make it harder because a ton of people were getting 800's on the quantitative section in the old version. They have an info session for applicants in the fall, and I went to it, and was told later it helped my application. It seemed that they want to accept people who want to go there. I had the same experience with UCLA - I wouldn't have stuck out from the pile of applicants, but I emailed someone there and asked if I could visit to find out about the program, they said sure, and it went very well and I got in there, too. Tactfully showing interest goes a long way in my experience. That said, I did the same thing with Harvard (asked to visit, they said sure, I went and met with a few folks), and the admissions clerk flat-out told me I wouldn't be considered because I didn't have an undergrad Math major. My GRE scores, though higher than their average for accepted applicants, did not matter one bit. She was very polite about it, I was not offended. I still applied but I did not get into Harvard Biostatistics. The fact that you have an undergraduate degree in Math will really help you with admissions committees (see comments on Harvard above - have you considered applying there? They have a great program). From the stats you posted, I think you have more than cleared the baseline to be a strong applicant. The process is very arbitrary and very good candidates like you still do not get in due to that, but there is no reason not to apply based on your background. One other thing a student mentioned is to make sure you get letters of rec from people who will write you a strong letter (you can even ask "do you feel you would be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation?"), and make sure not to get someone who just says "this person got an A in my class". It seems like everyone has something on their application they think isn't perfect and will prevent them from getting into a program. I think they are more flexible than we think. I also think that a "perfect" resume will not guarantee admission anywhere. I wish you best of luck!!!
  26. maxhgns

Ethics? Philosophy?

bhabhafk is spot-on. Biomedical ethics is almost entirely focused on ethics in the medical arena, and is thus primarily concerned with human beings and only tangentially with animals. Animal rights and animal ethics stuff is still mostly part of the applied ethics subfield, although it's made some recent(ish) inroads in political theory thanks to Will Kymlicka and others. You won't find good, reputable programs that deal with applied ethics only. But you can find dozens with stellar reputations in that subfield. In addition to the PGR, think about the people whose articles you've read on the subject, and look at where they work. Look at who's cited in the SEP entry, and where they work. The program you want to attend is going to be one of the ones at which they work.
  27. VentralStream

Transfer Advice

I mentioned this in another post, but to my surprise, there were 4 who were transferring out of their current programs that were on Notre Dame's waitlist and some of which had been accepted to U T Austin and UVA. My impression is that transferring is becoming much more common and I think desirable to a certain extent: programs want students to finish in 5 or 6 years, and this will be more likely if you already have one or two years of doctoral studies under your belt.
  28. Kratz

Age?

Hi, Could explain yourself a bit more? What do you mean by this? Is almost everybody in class in their 20's?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.