All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Ok this is probably a controversial take because it is the less fiscally conservative move but I wouldn’t move back in with your parents. The year(s) between now and starting your program are your life too and (me projecting my own family dynamic) living with your parents is not going to be super pleasant? In theory your other debt will go into forbearance while you’re in a program so you’re just kicking the can down the road but personally I would just keep living your current life and maybe try to get a side hustle or do something else to make up that $20k.
  3. Thanks for sharing, do you know when they got accepted?
  4. I currently attend York for my BSW but did not apply to York for my MSW, but one of my friends did and they were accepted into the program.
  5. weird....still nothing from Hunter. can't tell if that is good or bad. where is everyone seeing their rejections/acceptances for hunter? is it in the application portal?
  6. Don't really feel comfy bouncing this off anyone in my real life just yet so I'm tossing it here. I didn't get in anywhere this year (technically still waiting to hear from Oregon and Iowa lol). It was my first time applying and I only did 4 schools because I already have an MFA and I wasn't totally sure if I wanted another one. Now that time has passed I feel a lot clearer that actually yes, I DO want to do this, for sure, and I'm planning on applying to way more programs this time, as well as doing a lot more prep work. I've lived in my current city for just about 10 years, I love my friends and my apartment, and the idea of leaving is really, really scary. I think leaving for a specific purpose (like grad school) would lessen that a little, but I recently had the thought that I could actually leave this coming winter and move back home with my parents to save money while I apply. I work remote and if I were able to save what I'm currently paying on rent, I could theoretically start an MFA program in 2025 with about $20,000 of my own money saved up. However, I'd be gambling on the fact that I will, in fact, get in somewhere this time. If I don't I'll have moved across the country and uprooted my whole life just to be 33 living in my childhood bedroom. I could also continue my life as-is and plan to only move home next spring if I get accepted; I guess I wouldn't be saving THAT much more compared to moving in the winter. Idk, I guess I'm just wondering what y'all would do in this situation. I'm in so much debt from my other master's degree that the idea of going into this one with a big chunk of money is really really appealing.
  7. I've gotten offers (International Student) from Munk MGA, Carleton MA and MPPA. Munk is providing funding but Carleton is giving me literally nothing (even after leveraging Munk's funding). The graduate administrator at NPSIA lied to me saying that I would get a "favourable offer with a funding package very soon" and then offers me nothing... It this just a symptom of being an international applicant? They're also somehow never in the office. I've been at wits end for the last two weeks now because of all of this nonsense. My first choice is still Carleton just because its still cheaper to go there even considering the funding from Munk, but I feel like absolute shit for having to pay out of pocket and move to an entirely new city.
  8. Last year people got accepted and it still said "pre-screening" so I wouldn't worry about the status too much! I really wonder when we're going to hear back😭 I know it's not going to be in March like previous years but I'm curious when in April it'll be.
  9. Did you receive the UBC offer yesterday? Or today?
  10. Has anyone heard from their prospective school(s) about FAFSA/financial aid? Haven't heard anything on my end and was wondering when that info comes in since the decision deadline is in ~2 weeks. Is it worth it to take out loans????????????????
  11. i also applied and have not yet heard back.
  12. Got into U of T with funding, and UBC. Good luck to all!
  13. Today
  14. Ah, department websites. That's frustrating, sorry! Indiana just informed me that they're pretty sure they won't have a spot for me, so I'm now just waiting on UNC... 🤞
  15. Has anyone else gotten any information about their application status for York's MSW advanced standing program?
  16. Hi everyone, I am currently trying to decide between UCSC and UCSD for a PhD in biology, probably in micro. My main interests are in the microbiome, infectious disease, and bacterial population dynamics. I have personal reasons for wanting to live close to the bay area, and I love nature and outdoor activities, hence Santa Cruz. Additionally, there are a few micro labs that I am really interested in at Santa Cruz. However, UCSD is a way bigger program, has more options for micro faculty, and is a bit better known/has more connections with other top schools as far as I can tell. I am unsure if I'm interested in a career in academia or industry after PhD, but any insight into how either school could impact my time during or after the PhD is much appreciated. Thank you so much!
  17. Has anyone heard from UMass Yet? I still haven't gotten any updates from them but I know some people got responses. I also contacted the program coordinator with Williams College and she said that decisions are starting to roll out now and will continue to do so up until the April 15th deadline. Hopefully, the news comes sooner rather than later, I have a program I want to give a response to but it would be nice to evaluate other possible offers as well.
  18. Well, I got into UofT! Still waiting on UBC… hopefully there are another few rounds of offers.
  19. Does anyone else’s U of A portal still say their application is in the “pre-screening” stage?
  20. I did. Have not heard anything...
  21. I received an acceptance from BU’s History of Art & Architecture MA about 2 weeks ago, but I applied to the PhD and was waitlisted, so I assume that’s why I was notified earlier. I wouldn’t lose hope since it seems like others are still waiting on BU! It’s frustrating that they haven’t let everyone know yet though 😕
  22. Hello everyone! I am fortunate to be admitted into the MS in Statistics: Statistics & Data Science in UW-Madison, and the MS in Statistics, Analytics and Data Science in UNC. I am 50/50 in terms of going into a PhD, or going into the industry (as a Statistician/Data Scientist) after my MS. Also, I am an international student. Here are some details and my thoughts: Department: Both UW-Madison and UNC are T15 statistics departments. UNC is #11 while UW-Madison is #13, so I think both are of similar standards. UNC's department combines Statistics and Operations Research, while UW-Madison's doesn't. Coursework: UW-Madison - Required courses include Statistical Methods, Intro to Statistical Inference, Statistical Learning. It is compulsory to do a data science computing project, and a data science practicum (good for jobs). There will be another 4-5 elective courses, including topics such as mathematical statistics (two courses I could choose from, and one prepares me for a PhD), statistical computing, and more. UNC- Core courses include data science, machine learning, applied stats, optimization, stochastic modeling, theoretical statistics, and probability (choose 5 out of 7). Then, 4 other courses (mainly within the department), and the master's essay (like a thesis). The master's essay is generally done with a company/another department which could provide job opportunities. Defending the essay might be good preparation for a PhD. Cohort size: UNC's intake is much smaller. Around 10 students every year, while UW-Madison has around 50 - 70 (?) students. This makes UNC more attractive, as there is more individualized attention and opportunities for everyone. Tuition, costs, and related opportunities: UW-Madison - 48k. No tuition remission from grad assistantship positions. Those positions are available, although quite competitive to get. Maybe students have to seek Teaching/Research Assistant jobs outside the department. UNC- Around 60 - 70k. It seems those who want to are able to get Teaching/Research Assistant or similar opportunities, especially within the department. Job placements appear good for both. Regarding PhDs, UW-Madison seems to have an internal application to get into their PhD program, or at least they emphasized it a bit, while UNC doesn't seem to, but it could be possible. UNC has taken some of their undergrads into their PhD program. Location: UW-Madison - It's the capital of WI and there are lots of companies in the area. The transport seems more frequent than CH's, but it could be less walkable, as the city is bigger. If I do an internship, I probably won't have to drive. I'm not too familiar with opportunities in statistics/data science in Madison compared to the triangle area. UNC- Chapel Hill is small and maybe there won't be many opportunities in the city for internships/work. I would have to drive or rely on the less frequent buses. However, the Research Triangle area (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, RTP) provides lots of opportunities with hundreds of companies. UNC, Duke, and NC State have lots of collaborations in statistics too. CH has better weather than Madison, I guess. Overall, I am happy with both programs. I am slightly leaning towards UNC, but which do you think is better, considering job/PhD objectives?
  23. I hope they finish notifying people soon too hahah. Thank you very much for your insight!
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use