All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Ah, department websites. That's frustrating, sorry! Indiana just informed me that they're pretty sure they won't have a spot for me, so I'm now just waiting on UNC... 🤞
  3. Has anyone else gotten any information about their application status for York's MSW advanced standing program?
  4. Hi everyone, I am currently trying to decide between UCSC and UCSD for a PhD in biology, probably in micro. My main interests are in the microbiome, infectious disease, and bacterial population dynamics. I have personal reasons for wanting to live close to the bay area, and I love nature and outdoor activities, hence Santa Cruz. Additionally, there are a few micro labs that I am really interested in at Santa Cruz. However, UCSD is a way bigger program, has more options for micro faculty, and is a bit better known/has more connections with other top schools as far as I can tell. I am unsure if I'm interested in a career in academia or industry after PhD, but any insight into how either school could impact my time during or after the PhD is much appreciated. Thank you so much!
  5. Today
  6. Has anyone heard from UMass Yet? I still haven't gotten any updates from them but I know some people got responses. I also contacted the program coordinator with Williams College and she said that decisions are starting to roll out now and will continue to do so up until the April 15th deadline. Hopefully, the news comes sooner rather than later, I have a program I want to give a response to but it would be nice to evaluate other possible offers as well.
  7. Well, I got into UofT! Still waiting on UBC… hopefully there are another few rounds of offers.
  8. Does anyone else’s U of A portal still say their application is in the “pre-screening” stage?
  9. I did. Have not heard anything...
  10. I received an acceptance from BU’s History of Art & Architecture MA about 2 weeks ago, but I applied to the PhD and was waitlisted, so I assume that’s why I was notified earlier. I wouldn’t lose hope since it seems like others are still waiting on BU! It’s frustrating that they haven’t let everyone know yet though 😕
  11. Hello everyone! I am fortunate to be admitted into the MS in Statistics: Statistics & Data Science in UW-Madison, and the MS in Statistics, Analytics and Data Science in UNC. I am 50/50 in terms of going into a PhD, or going into the industry (as a Statistician/Data Scientist) after my MS. Also, I am an international student. Here are some details and my thoughts: Department: Both UW-Madison and UNC are T15 statistics departments. UNC is #11 while UW-Madison is #13, so I think both are of similar standards. UNC's department combines Statistics and Operations Research, while UW-Madison's doesn't. Coursework: UW-Madison - Required courses include Statistical Methods, Intro to Statistical Inference, Statistical Learning. It is compulsory to do a data science computing project, and a data science practicum (good for jobs). There will be another 4-5 elective courses, including topics such as mathematical statistics (two courses I could choose from, and one prepares me for a PhD), statistical computing, and more. UNC- Core courses include data science, machine learning, applied stats, optimization, stochastic modeling, theoretical statistics, and probability (choose 5 out of 7). Then, 4 other courses (mainly within the department), and the master's essay (like a thesis). The master's essay is generally done with a company/another department which could provide job opportunities. Defending the essay might be good preparation for a PhD. Cohort size: UNC's intake is much smaller. Around 10 students every year, while UW-Madison has around 50 - 70 (?) students. This makes UNC more attractive, as there is more individualized attention and opportunities for everyone. Tuition, costs, and related opportunities: UW-Madison - 48k. No tuition remission from grad assistantship positions. Those positions are available, although quite competitive to get. Maybe students have to seek Teaching/Research Assistant jobs outside the department. UNC- Around 60 - 70k. It seems those who want to are able to get Teaching/Research Assistant or similar opportunities, especially within the department. Job placements appear good for both. Regarding PhDs, UW-Madison seems to have an internal application to get into their PhD program, or at least they emphasized it a bit, while UNC doesn't seem to, but it could be possible. UNC has taken some of their undergrads into their PhD program. Location: UW-Madison - It's the capital of WI and there are lots of companies in the area. The transport seems more frequent than CH's, but it could be less walkable, as the city is bigger. If I do an internship, I probably won't have to drive. I'm not too familiar with opportunities in statistics/data science in Madison compared to the triangle area. UNC- Chapel Hill is small and maybe there won't be many opportunities in the city for internships/work. I would have to drive or rely on the less frequent buses. However, the Research Triangle area (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, RTP) provides lots of opportunities with hundreds of companies. UNC, Duke, and NC State have lots of collaborations in statistics too. CH has better weather than Madison, I guess. Overall, I am happy with both programs. I am slightly leaning towards UNC, but which do you think is better, considering job/PhD objectives?
  12. I hope they finish notifying people soon too hahah. Thank you very much for your insight!
  13. has anyone heard from risd financial aid about fafsa loan amounts?
  14. This is from a supervisor on reddit: 'Alternates are possible. SSHRC officers do not want to raise the expectations of any candidates as that would be unfair to them, but you have a reasonable shot at receiving the award. If you are first alternate you will receive it if anyone ahead of you declines theirs. The two most likely reasons someone would decline are if they receive a tenure track job, a Banting post-doc, or simply decide to leave the field. The number of SSHRC Banting winners is very small and many of the winners have previously or currently hold a SSHRC postdoc, so the odds of one of the winners being from your committee aren't great. Your best hope is that someone gets a job! Good luck. You might not hear until June or even later. I supervised a SSHRC funded postdoc who didn't hear until late summer the year she got it and came off the alternate list'
  15. Thank you! Don’t worry I thought I did terrible during the interview too. Also don’t lose hope!
  16. Domestic applicants and we are all current Laurier students! I spoke to an academic advisor for the program and she said they were hoping to finish up notifying people of decisions soon but didn’t give me a date
  17. Rejected from Penn State yesterday. I'm a teeny bit salty because the email I got explaining the decision basically said they don't consider MA students who don't want to be admitted at the MA level AT ALL, where the department website gives the impression that they occasionally do. I guess I could have verified that with the DGS before I applied. Oh well. I haven't made the final decision yet but basically my plan is to accept ND early next week. Rutgers DGS got back to me and said there's no movement yet.
  18. Thank you! Could I ask if you and your friends are domestic or international applicants? I'm still waiting to hear back as well.
  19. Anyone else waiting for Lakehead one-year HBSW decisions?
  20. I have, I've been accepted! I have another friend who's been accepted but another who's heard nothing yet
  21. Hey! I got into the McMaster program this year, and I'm still waiting to hear back from OISE - I checked ACORN and nothing, so I had my hopes up for UofT because I got into McMaster - I'm curious for this answer as well if anyone knows.
  22. I did not see a thread about this year's results so I wanted to ask. Did anyone apply? And if so have you heard back?
  23. Do you take art history classes in your BFA program? If so, can you take more? It's possible to switch fields for graduate school, but you'd need to demonstrate familiarity with art history methodology (for example, the University of Toronto's art history program allows anyone to apply, regardless of their undergraduate degree, but requires that you have taken at least 5 art history classes). You'd also need to take courses that require lengthy writing and research papers. Work experience like an internship at an art museum or gallery would also be very helpful for your application.
  24. Look at what you know, faculty, cohort size, funding, alumni, etc. and ABSOLUTELY speak with current students.
  25. I have also applied for Masters in Electrical Engineering and got a mail today regarding these tests. Though they haven’t showed up on my Toledo account yet. Have you completed the tests?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use